Final Fantasy VII Remake

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Remaking classic FF6 bosses were the hook that got me into FF14.

They're the one set I still need to do. Skipped Omega 5-12 from last expansion. I did the Ivalice 24 man raids just recently to catch up for the new "relic" weapon quest in the current expansion and the music and throwback to Tactics/XII was pretty nostalgic.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
The remake was a mistake. Watch how AeriS won't die, Wedge will end up the hero and Zack was Cloud all along.

Edit: Nomura and his "fate spirits", goddamn.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
  • 1Worf
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 3 users

Rude

Potato del Grande
It's way better than XV's and quite a lot of fun. Although if you're a turn based purist I can understand. From what I hear Classic mode isn't really even close to the same thing so the game wouldn't scratch that itch at all.

If they actually were going do Remake another one I wonder if VI or IX would get looked at first.
Anything is better than XV, it was holding a button. Even XII playing itself with Gambits was better than XV.

They'll never remake IX, it isn't popular enough. They also redid the graphics on VI for steam? Maybe another platform port also. Wasn't favorable. Although they could probably get away with re-imagining the story as outside of the prime group (Terra, Locke, Celes, and Edgar with Sabin and Shadow in the running) everyone else was mostly worthless. Hell, Gau Gogo and Umaro WERE worthless.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Gogo wasn't worthless. I had a pimped out Celes with Atma weapon/etc and would have Gogo copy her so I essentially had 2 pimped out Celes.

• 1Like

Rude

Potato del Grande
Gogo wasn't worthless. I had a pimped out Celes with Atma weapon/etc and would have Gogo copy her so I essentially had 2 pimped out Celes.
I meant in terms of story / character development. FF6 was so easy to break and abuse with combat I don't think I'd rank any character any further than their unique ability.

• 1Solidarity

Merrith

Anything is better than XV, it was holding a button. Even XII playing itself with Gambits was better than XV.

They'll never remake IX, it isn't popular enough. They also redid the graphics on VI for steam? Maybe another platform port also. Wasn't favorable. Although they could probably get away with re-imagining the story as outside of the prime group (Terra, Locke, Celes, and Edgar with Sabin and Shadow in the running) everyone else was mostly worthless. Hell, Gau Gogo and Umaro WERE worthless.

Is it just a really vocal minority I always hear trying to claim IX is the best FF? I admit, I didn't actually play IX until after I'd played through X, after how disappointing VIII was for me laid off FF's until PS2.

I haven't played any of the upscaled versions of VI, but I'd have to bet nothing comes close to what they did with this remake graphically. I hear you on the side characters, lord knows I couldn't stand Gau, Gogo you'd just turn into an underpowered combo of Sabin/etc. Umaro you could buff out to do great damage but when you can't control them, there's just no way they will be better than someone you can control who also hits for the max every strike. In theory I guess they could flesh out some of the side characters better? Although none of those 3 gave much to work with. I was never that big a fan of Relm, either.

One of the best things so far 8 Chapters in has been the expanded story/roles of Biggs/Wedge/Jessie. But they have more of a blank slate maybe to give decent backstories for compared to some of the bottom characters from VI.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Not even close, unless it's just a flavor thing. Can do way more with materia.

i'm... pretty sure you're just misremembering. magicite IS materia, except after you master magicite, the ability it granted stayed with you. if you master materia, it's worthless to you unless you have it equipped. so you could have one fire magicite and just go through the rounds with your characters until everyone has it mastered and everyone can cast fire independently. if you want everyone to cast fire in ff7, they all need their own materia

• 1Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah effectively; it was just a more obfuscated system. The one thing Materia has over Magicite is that Magicite typically didn't grant you extra abilities (aside from stat bonuses on level up), whereas Materia had Long Range and other interesting stuff. Pros and cons with each system; a Matecite system would be superior to both where you have the cool summons/etc attached to the magicite and permanent gains as well as the various "ability" based stuff we saw with materia.

Both are still great customization systems from the mid 90s.

• 1Like

Merrith

i'm... pretty sure you're just misremembering. magicite IS materia, except after you master magicite, the ability it granted stayed with you. if you master materia, it's worthless to you unless you have it equipped. so you could have one fire magicite and just go through the rounds with your characters until everyone has it mastered and everyone can cast fire independently. if you want everyone to cast fire in ff7, they all need their own materia

Actually you're misremembering, if only a little bit. It wasn't "fire" magicite, it would be Ifrit or whatever. It also would just teach you whatever spells it had, you couldn't link it other magicite to create extra effects or insane combos (the 2 relic slots were the poor man's version of this in conjuction with magicite/spells). Materia basically replaced both and was a far deeper system. You basically just taught the magic spell with magicite (many of which you'd find a more efficient magicite later in the game that would teach spells at a faster rate), and some of them actually would give slight status bonus on level up. Enemy Skill materia also allowed everyone to use blue mage abilities rather than just Strago/Gogo with Lore.

In the original FF7, a mastered materia wasn't worthless unless you had it equipped, every time you mastered a materia it would "spawn" a fresh copy of the same materia that started at the lowest level that you could also master. Also mastering every materia in a given group (Magic, Summon, Command) would let you turn them in for a Master Materia that contained pretty all of the effects of each individual one. Purple materia were in general massive upgrades over the minor level bonuses magicite gave, not to mention what you could do with the Morph materia to actually acquire items to increase all stats.

I'll grant in the current game Master materia don't seem to have as much functionality as the original, at least in Part 1. Summons come already mastered, as does Steal. There is an Enemy Intel sidequest to Master all 12 magic materia in Part 1, not sure what the reward is. I don't think Mastered ones spawn a fresh one(?), although admittedly I've only mastered a couple and probably haven't paid attention since you end up with a lot more materia than you can use normally anyways. Also there are some weird new materia like Synergy that has other party members cast spells automatically if another casts an offensive spell (I haven't played with it much, might be useful on stuff with specific weaknesses though where you need magic attacks to stagger by letting you chain a whole bunch together in a short time frame, especially with Aerith's one ability that auto casts an attack spell twice within a certain aura on the ground).

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
a Matecite system would be superior to both where you have the cool summons/etc attached to the magicite and permanent gains as well as the various "ability" based stuff we saw with materia.
So... Guardian Forces?

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Speaking of Steal, it not being upgradeable to Mug is some bullshit.

I wonder if that's for a later installment. It's already pretty ridiculous the power level characters will be at end of this game. That's going to be another issue for them, though. Will progress carryover in any way to Part 2, or will they just start everyone at like level 30 or something?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Is it just a really vocal minority I always hear trying to claim IX is the best FF? I admit, I didn't actually play IX until after I'd played through X, after how disappointing VIII was for me laid off FF's until PS2.

I haven't played any of the upscaled versions of VI, but I'd have to bet nothing comes close to what they did with this remake graphically. I hear you on the side characters, lord knows I couldn't stand Gau, Gogo you'd just turn into an underpowered combo of Sabin/etc. Umaro you could buff out to do great damage but when you can't control them, there's just no way they will be better than someone you can control who also hits for the max every strike. In theory I guess they could flesh out some of the side characters better? Although none of those 3 gave much to work with. I was never that big a fan of Relm, either.

One of the best things so far 8 Chapters in has been the expanded story/roles of Biggs/Wedge/Jessie. But they have more of a blank slate maybe to give decent backstories for compared to some of the bottom characters from VI.
I have ff9 on steam and have been playing it. The graphics actually look pretty nice, whereas ff7 looks like dogshit. Remaking it wouldn't really buy them anything

Also while it's good, there's no way in hell it's the best FF

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Actually you're misremembering, if only a little bit. It wasn't "fire" magicite, it would be Ifrit or whatever. It also would just teach you whatever spells it had, you couldn't link it other magicite to create extra effects or insane combos (the 2 relic slots were the poor man's version of this in conjuction with magicite/spells). Materia basically replaced both and was a far deeper system. You basically just taught the magic spell with magicite (many of which you'd find a more efficient magicite later in the game that would teach spells at a faster rate), and some of them actually would give slight status bonus on level up. Enemy Skill materia also allowed everyone to use blue mage abilities rather than just Strago/Gogo with Lore.

In the original FF7, a mastered materia wasn't worthless unless you had it equipped, every time you mastered a materia it would "spawn" a fresh copy of the same materia that started at the lowest level that you could also master. Also mastering every materia in a given group (Magic, Summon, Command) would let you turn them in for a Master Materia that contained pretty all of the effects of each individual one. Purple materia were in general massive upgrades over the minor level bonuses magicite gave, not to mention what you could do with the Morph materia to actually acquire items to increase all stats.

I'll grant in the current game Master materia don't seem to have as much functionality as the original, at least in Part 1. Summons come already mastered, as does Steal. There is an Enemy Intel sidequest to Master all 12 magic materia in Part 1, not sure what the reward is. I don't think Mastered ones spawn a fresh one(?), although admittedly I've only mastered a couple and probably haven't paid attention since you end up with a lot more materia than you can use normally anyways. Also there are some weird new materia like Synergy that has other party members cast spells automatically if another casts an offensive spell (I haven't played with it much, might be useful on stuff with specific weaknesses though where you need magic attacks to stagger by letting you chain a whole bunch together in a short time frame, especially with Aerith's one ability that auto casts an attack spell twice within a certain aura on the ground).

thanks for the clarification. i haven't actually played either of them since... well, release basically.

Chris

Potato del Grande
FF7 is the main one people wanted a remake for because the 3D part of the graphics were so inconsistent. The rest look fine.

FF6 is the best quality 2D Graphics and FF8, at least with the remaster, looks totally fine and consistent in and out of battle.

FF9 is really let down by it's limited battle system, people just like it because it's a throwback to the first 5 games which didn't have robots and mechs everywhere.

• 1Like