Final Fantasy VII Remake

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I never beat 8 or 9, I always get side tracked playing Tetra Master and Triple Triad for 20 hours until I get bored and quit playing.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
FF7 is the main one people wanted a remake for because the 3D part of the graphics were so inconsistent. The rest look fine.
FF6 is the best quality 2D Graphics and FF8, at least with the remaster, looks totally fine and consistent in and out of battle.
FF9 is really let down by it's limited battle system, people just like it because it's a throwback to the first 5 games which didn't have robots and mechs everywhere.
FFIX had two of my favorite characters (Vivi and Steiner) and imho the best ending of any FF, with Steiner rolling up as a badass knight after being a pussy bitch the whole game, and Vivi just... amazing. Combat was basic af, and it's incredibly boring for about 85-90% of the game. Save any part with Vivi. And Quina made me laugh more than any other character, ever.

• 2Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Gau was difficult to ability level, so not many people really pushed him to his full potential. He was pretty worthless unless you put in the time trying to get rare Veldt spawns, etc. plus once you found one, you couldn’t use Gau until he came back from learning it.

FF8’s card game was awesome, which is why I was happy they used the FF8 card game model for Triple Triad in FFXIV...although they really need to let you use more high tier cards per play deck.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
IX would actually work with Nomura's bullshit though

timejannies.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 6Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
thanks for the clarification. i haven't actually played either of them since... well, release basically.

While 7's graphics have aged far worse, they're both still pretty fun replays. I've been meaning to find one of the new versions of VI, though to try out. I still love VI, and liked the magicite/relic system, I just think materia pretty much improved on it in basically all ways.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'll never understand 8 being ranked so high. 7 > 6 >> Tactics/9/10 > 12/4 > the rest
Let's do this!

10 > 7 > 7r1 > 8 > 6 > T > 5 > the rest

8 has one dimensional characters but the story structure and events are well structured and extremely epic in scope. The combat is very customisable with great monster designs, but people feel the need to grind Draws when they don't need to.

You rank 12 higher than it, but in 12 you just visit increasingly more boring tombs gathering mcguffins you don't use. In 8 you do increasingly more insane missions, from an amphibious assault on a town, to assasinating a head of state, to going into space. You finish up 8 by travelling to the future to kill the antagonist who morphs into various hideous phases. In 12 you just board an airship and kill a guy with some steampunk wings.

12 initially feels great playing an MMO solo, but by the end (at least in the original version), you just time heals onto your auto buffing auto attacking allies. 8 let's you break the game early and fuck everything up.

12 doesn't have the usual composer either.

• 1Picard
  • 1Faggotry

Merrith

Let's do this!

10 > 7 > 7r1 > 8 > 6 > T > 5 > the rest

8 has one dimensional characters but the story structure and events are well structured and extremely epic in scope. The combat is very customisable with great monster designs, but people feel the need to grind Draws when they don't need to.

You rank 12 higher than it, but in 12 you just visit increasingly more boring tombs gathering mcguffins you don't use. In 8 you do increasingly more insane missions, from an amphibious assault on a town, to assasinating a head of state, to going into space. You finish up 8 by travelling to the future to kill the antagonist who morphs into various hideous phases. In 12 you just board an airship and kill a guy with some steampunk wings.

12 initially feels great playing an MMO solo, but by the end (at least in the original version), you just time heals onto your auto buffing auto attacking allies. 8 let's you break the game early and fuck everything up.

12 doesn't have the usual composer either.

12 is a weird one, I'll admit. Also I hear the remaster is good (haven't played it yet). I never found 8 that epic, the story is all over the place, I hated GF's, Draw system, the characters...basically everything about the game save the card game. Listing 8's end boss as a pro is the ultimate "nope" thing for me. I know there are many who do love 8 for whatever reason, but it's just never worked for me, and I've tried to replay it over the years after that first run through way back when. Just can't.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
12 is a weird one, I'll admit. Also I hear the remaster is good (haven't played it yet). I never found 8 that epic, the story is all over the place, I hated GF's, Draw system, the characters...basically everything about the game save the card game. Listing 8's end boss as a pro is the ultimate "nope" thing for me. I know there are many who do love 8 for whatever reason, but it's just never worked for me, and I've tried to replay it over the years after that first run through way back when. Just can't.
8s end boss has a Nobuo Uematsu classic, 12 has like a remix of the basic enemy empire song. 6 and 7 set the standard for insane end bosses with amazing music. 12 was zero effort on that front.

12 remaster is just the Zodiac version with slightly better graphics, which did have much better combat.

Merrith

8s end boss has a Nobuo Uematsu classic, 12 has like a remix of the basic enemy empire song. 6 and 7 set the standard for insane end bosses with amazing music. 12 was zero effort on that front.

12 remaster is just the Zodiac version with slightly better graphics, which did have much better combat.

The remaster for 12 actually set up a class system, as well, didn't it? Not sure how big of a change that was, but different than the remasters for 8 and 9 in that it added something.

Chris

Potato del Grande
The remaster for 12 actually set up a class system, as well, didn't it? Not sure how big of a change that was, but different than the remasters for 8 and 9 in that it added something.
That was the Zodiac version as far as I know, it was released on PS2 a few years after the original. It is much better but the story fizzling out still kills the game for me.

Cybsled

Not counting 11or 14 or 7 remake since it’s still ongoing, I’d rank:

6>7>4>10>9>8>>>12/13/15>>>>X2

If you included online, 14 easily ranks top 2-3 FF titles

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

Yeah if I was including 14, the Shadowbringers expansion alone probably breaks into top 3 for me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

krismunich

<Silver Donator>

yep, exactly. One note the remastered 12 is lisghty better than the original and has some moments in the open world. Definitely a bit ahead of 13 and 15 imho.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Tactics > 7 > 10 > 9 > Rest
Tactics was great, always gets left out of the discussion since it’s different. I’ve spent hundreds of hours between FFT and the old shining force games.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

Tactics was great, always gets left out of the discussion since it’s different. I’ve spent hundreds of hours between FFT and the old shining force games.

I always have 7 and 6 as my top 2, but Tactics I always have to rank above all the rest cause it was just that good. If you replay FFT a lot I assume you know the JP Scroll Glitch? Completely made that game's replay value even higher than it was.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity