Final Fantasy VII Remake

Cybsled

If you didn’t follow development in the news, then you might think it’s ff7 with extra stuff (aka crisis core, advent children, etc). It sort of is...until it isn’t lol

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Are people equating "remake" with "remaster"?

Sadly, yes.

I have been absolutely loving this game though. The animations, the cutscenes, the dialogue have all been great. It's particularly refreshing seeing them delve into more story behind events that I just took as minor in the original FF7. Plus seeing the environments almost mapped out in 3d how they likely would be based off of the original 2d backdrops.

I think someone mentioned the weird fights earlier, and the Hell House fight was one of the more entertaining fights/surprises that came up. When in the original, you just stumbled into it at random.

Regardless, this definitely doesn't feel like some episodic cashgrab bullshit and all it feels like is that I'm going to be bummed that when it's over I'll have to wait, even though I know I went through the equivalent of a full game by today's standards.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
There's no way in hell this ever gets a singular GOTY edition in one download. If they put as much detail into the rest of the game as they did Midgar, I'd be surprised if they even make it happen with three full titles. It will be full games just like 13-1/2/3, not episodes. It was a mistake by Square to ever refer to them as episodes.

• 2Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sadly, yes.

I have been absolutely loving this game though. The animations, the cutscenes, the dialogue have all been great. It's particularly refreshing seeing them delve into more story behind events that I just took as minor in the original FF7. Plus seeing the environments almost mapped out in 3d how they likely would be based off of the original 2d backdrops.

I think someone mentioned the weird fights earlier, and the Hell House fight was one of the more entertaining fights/surprises that came up. When in the original, you just stumbled into it at random.

Regardless, this definitely doesn't feel like some episodic cashgrab bullshit and all it feels like is that I'm going to be bummed that when it's over I'll have to wait, even though I know I went through the equivalent of a full game by today's standards.
I asked because I was watching a stream last night of the last 2hrs of the game, and the chat was pretty divided. These were pretty hard core FF nerds too, some hated what was happening saying that it was invalidating the canon of crisis core / advent children, while the other side were excited that Square has the opportunity to do a lot more with the Story (this is what I'm thinking too). Just surprised that people are so salty over it, based on what I've seen, fans of FF7 have a lot to look forward too with the next installments. Plus, more of that amazing music.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
I asked because I was watching a stream last night of the last 2hrs of the game, and the chat was pretty divided. These were pretty hard core FF nerds too, some hated what was happening saying that it was invalidating the canon of crisis core / advent children, while the other side were excited that Square has the opportunity to do a lot more with the Story (this is what I'm thinking too). Just surprised that people are so salty over it, based on what I've seen, fans of FF7 have a lot to look forward too with the next installments. Plus, more of that amazing music.

I think you will find this is no different than any other hardcore nerd world. It will be pretty divided and I doubt most will be capable of any nuance or ability to even understand the otherside's views.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Talking about how many parts with this level of detail...

Part 1 uses 10 bosses from the original in the main story, obviously they added a bunch of new ones in between.

Part 1:
Guard Scorpion
Air Buster
Aps
Turks
Heli Gunner
Sample: HO512
Hundred Gunner
Rufus
Jenova-BIRTH
Motor Ball

So what if we divided the rest of the game up in the same way?

Part 2:
Midgar Zolom
CMD Grand Horn
Bottomswell
Dyne
Turks
Gi Nattak
Missing Number
Materia Keeper
Palmer
Rapps
Red Dragon
Demons Gate
Jenova-LIFE
Schizo
Jenova-DEATH

Part 3:
Ultimate Weapon
Eagle Gun
Carry Armor
Godo
Diamond Weapon
Turks
Proud Clod
Hojo x3
Jenova
Jenova + Sephrioth
Sephiroth
Emerald Weapon
Ruby Weapon

Part 2 has 15 rather than 10 bosses but 5 were optional (Midgar Zolom, CMD Grand Horn, Turks, Missing Number, Rapps) so the padding is already built in.

Part 3 has 13 Bosses, but again 3 were optional (Godo, Emerald Weapon, Ruby Weapon).

Seems to divide pretty nicely.

Siliconemelons

A lot of the haters, my self included - do not like the /remake/ story aspect because - look at the original story of 7... it alone spawned many before and after stories... in an attempt to /complete/ or finish the story...as the project was completion of ff7... crisis core, dirge, advent children all there to add some pre-info and post info to all in all advance, enhance and grow the core ff7 lore and story.

People wanted a "true" ff7 remake that had all these stories and advanced things in mind, fleshing out the story even more based upon what we had...

So for them to, yes, toss it all aside a la ST-JJ Abrams is really stupid

• 2Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
A lot of the haters, my self included - do not like the /remake/ story aspect because - look at the original story of 7... it alone spawned many before and after stories... in an attempt to /complete/ or finish the story...as the project was completion of ff7... crisis core, dirge, advent children all there to add some pre-info and post info to all in all advance, enhance and grow the core ff7 lore and story.

People wanted a "true" ff7 remake that had all these stories and advanced things in mind, fleshing out the story even more based upon what we had...

So for them to, yes, toss it all aside a la ST-JJ Abrams is really stupid
Is it tossed aside? We have no idea what they doing.

That they copied Zack's last stand like it was in Crisis Core and mentioned G Soldiers tells me that they are treating Crisis Core as canon. There's also other hints like Avalanche HQ (A Before Crisis thing?) and Sephrioth talking about The Planet eventually becoming part of something, which is the Dirge of Cerberus thing where Omega Weapon takes the lifestream into space.

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Talking about how many parts with this level of detail...

...Seems to divide pretty nicely.
Maybe I'm over estimating the amount of actual content in my head but I'm having trouble getting past the Golden Saucer, Wutai, Temple of Ancients, Northern Crater and other things not being hugely expanded on.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I always have 7 and 6 as my top 2, but Tactics I always have to rank above all the rest cause it was just that good. If you replay FFT a lot I assume you know the JP Scroll Glitch? Completely made that game's replay value even higher than it was.
Oh of course, I think there were a couple of classes it wouldn’t work though because the abilities all fit on one page

• 2Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I am one that didn’t follow this one closely. I totally forgot it’s episodic so I’ll just wait.

that said....6 > 7 > 4 > 9 > the rest.

4 is pure nostalgia. I never played 1 on NES. I did not own a pc so missed all that until 1997. So FF4 along with Zelda 1 and 3 (fuck 2) were my first experiences in grand vidya adventure. I wish we hadn’t been so poor to get a pc, but I loved those two games. 6 took all of 4 and just made it more epic. I played the weekend 6 came out for like 14 straight hours before my parents made me turn it off.

strangely, I’ve never replayed 6 since the first time. I’ve replayed 4 tons. I was afraid I’d ruin the memory. Playing 4 later on tarnishes it a bit as you grow older. I liked 7 but it felt like it was the 6 for the generation below me. I’m glad they all got sucked in. I think it probably helped our hobby become far more mainstream.

• 1Faggotry

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I am one that didn’t follow this one closely. I totally forgot it’s episodic so I’ll just wait.

4 is pure nostalgia. I never played 1 on NES. I did not own a pc so missed all that until 1997. So FF4 along with Zelda 1 and 3 (fuck 2) were my first experiences in grand vidya adventure. I wish we hadn’t been so poor to get a pc, but I loved those two games. 6 took all of 4 and just made it more epic. I played the weekend 6 came out for like 14 straight hours before my parents made me turn it off.

strangely, I’ve never replayed 6 since the first time. I’ve replayed 4 tons. I was afraid I’d ruin the memory. Playing 4 later on tarnishes it a bit as you grow older. I liked 7 but it felt like it was the 6 for the generation below me. I’m glad they all got sucked in. I think it probably helped our hobby become far more mainstream.

6 is great and the pixel art is top notch. The stories are still great. Don’t even need the trash cell shaded remakes, the original holds up very well. I do t think you’d spoil any memories of it, I’ve played it a couple times since childhood and enjoyed it both times. May just do it again if this lockdown shit keeps dragging on.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

This sounds similar to me. I did play FF1 on the NES but I was pretty young. 4 is the straight up nostalgia trip for me. Agreed that 6 took everything it did and made it better. For whatever reason 7 just went to a whole new level for me, but I still don't think they've come close to 7 and 6's time period, save for maybe with this latest expansion of 14, and this remake.

Messing around in Wall Market currently, definitely been pacing myself to make it last, although it's becoming more clear that there's just even more content later on and that I'm going to be doing Hard Mode. Any concerns about how many hours I'd get out of this have been out the window for awhile already.

Fadaar

That guy
The one part I thought was really fucking cool and a great addition is the museum section of Shinra tower. Adds a lot of exposition and can help people who didn't play FF7 originally understand the world a little better.

Cybsled

Speaking of nerds on Twitch, some were complaining they replaced the flip phones with smart phones. Are you fucking serious? Flip phones were the "top" shit in 1997, if smart phones existed in 1997 you can be sure as shit they would have been what was in the game back then.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Speaking of nerds on Twitch, some were complaining they replaced the flip phones with smart phones. Are you fucking serious? Flip phones were the "top" shit in 1997, if smart phones existed in 1997 you can be sure as shit they would have been what was in the game back then.

Sorry but they should all have RZRs

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Fedor Fedor here to kill all your waifu boners.

jessie/aerith/tifa voice actors

mvimg-20200229-173635.jpg

Erica_Lindbeck.jpg

• 2Barf
  • 2Triggered
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users