Final Fantasy VII Remake

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
This (finally) arrived from Amazon yesterday. I ordered it back in November of 2017... Anyway, I opened it up and turned on my PlayStation... and PlayStation is dead. The eject button causes it to beep, but the power on doesn't work. Doing a quick google search, looks like the power supply went bad. Good stuff.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Normal mode gave me one game over: bahamut vr battle. Now, all my characters are level 50, most materia maxed. Been looking at guides and videos online.... Hard mode is just too much effort. Anyone else feeling hard mode (no items) is just a pain in the ass?
It's meant to be a challenge mode for extra rewards that you only want to do once. Generally encourages you to do intended boss strategies instead of brute forcing so better materia combinations tend to shine.

Steadfast Block becomes important, Parry lets you animation cancel and dodge faster in many cases, ATB Assist on Tifa is incredibly useful, timing Punisher Mode + Guard to do a counter hit on annoying bosses, etc. There's also useful tricks like Enemy Skill Algid Aura + HP Absorption for constant damage + regen. Pay attention to the assess information for when Poison and Slow will work, and it even provides hints like using Braver against Rufus when he's reloading for instant stagger.

Fadaar

That guy
like using Braver against Rufus when he's reloading for instant stagger.

lawl is that what the secret was to him? haven't played but seen a few streamers fight against him, nobody did that. one guy got in his face and used whatever the counterattack ability was, that worked really well with his akimbo move.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Normal mode gave me one game over: bahamut vr battle. Now, all my characters are level 50, most materia maxed. Been looking at guides and videos online.... Hard mode is just too much effort. Anyone else feeling hard mode (no items) is just a pain in the ass?
I'm half way through hard mode and it's fine, you just need to conserve MP.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm only 11 hours in (damn kids) and trying to do all side quests and they are so goddamn lame. Worst side quests in a game ever. Also this game is more linear than FF13. This feels ultra on rails. Not sure if it opens up later

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I could be wrong but FF7 was super linear until you leave Midgar.

• 1Truth!

Chris

Potato del Grande
I could be wrong but FF7 was super linear until you leave Midgar.
FF7 is linear. The world map is an illusion of choice. It does have a few side quests but not many.

Every FF game is like this.

• 1Dislike

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
No this game is linear like FF13 was linear. In FF7 original I could just walk around anywhere in the world at least. In this i have a hallway followed by a hallway followed by a monster room. So far, while I enjoy this im giving it a 6/10 for final fantasy games

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
No this game is linear like FF13 was linear. In FF7 original I could just walk around anywhere in the world at least. In this i have a hallway followed by a hallway followed by a monster room. So far, while I enjoy this im giving it a 6/10 for final fantasy games
I feel like that is every FF game...

• 1Like

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I'm only 11 hours in (damn kids) and trying to do all side quests and they are so goddamn lame. Worst side quests in a game ever. Also this game is more linear than FF13. This feels ultra on rails. Not sure if it opens up later

Before you go getting Ut too excited with a complaint, try to remember that Ff7 in midgar was also fairly on rails too. It opens up a little later where everything is pretty much connected and you can take chocobo fast travel or go on foot. But that's about the extent of it. Except once you beat it you can select chapters at will to finish grabbing or doing things you missed before hard mode etc(which is done via chapter selection as well)

My only concern is that with a game on this scale is I don't know how they're going to do an open world without a jarringly lower quality overworld. The scale of things in this just felt so big I'm not sure how a modern game can translate the entire world at equal scale in multiple installments let alone a single one.

• 2Faggotry
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Midgar was always like that. But I’m telling you, even the original outside of midgar was linear. You could basically treat the world map as a monster room until 2/3rds of the way through the game.

• 2Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
FF7 is linear. The world map is an illusion of choice. It does have a few side quests but not many.

Every FF game is like this.

Don't necessarily agree with this. You had Gold Saucer in FF7, the various open world monster hunts in 13 (or was it 13-2), you could tool around in the past in 15 or hunt for the Royal Arms despite that game being accused of being hugely on the rails. I haven't played the new one so won't criticise it until I do, assuming it deserves criticism.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I feel like that is every FF game...

It pretty much is. There's overworld stuff but for the story experience in any final fantasy game even if it had an "open" world you still couldn't get to a lot of areas until the story allowed it or until you are on the last chapter and it was in a "go have fun and come finish the last dungeon/final boss whenever you finish your chocobo racing/breeding/optional boss fights/etc" but a lot of that wasn't really ever available until end game.

The rose colored glasses are strong in gaming when it comes to nostalgia and how people think it should be done. Never will everyone be satisfied but you can hope they understand that some games just aren't for everyone. If they were it's probably a shit product in comparison overall

• 2Faggotry
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Before you go getting Ut too excited with a complaint, try to remember that Ff7 in midgar was also fairly on rails too. It opens up a little later where everything is pretty much connected and you can take chocobo fast travel or go on foot. But that's about the extent of it. Except once you beat it you can select chapters at will to finish grabbing or doing things you missed before hard mode etc(which is done via chapter selection as well)

My only concern is that with a game on this scale is I don't know how they're going to do an open world without a jarringly lower quality overworld. The scale of things in this just felt so big I'm not sure how a modern game can translate the entire world at equal scale in multiple installments let alone a single one.
Sure but 6 hours of linear is better than 40. I feel like the game is taking me place to place but I'm not driving

Rude

Potato del Grande
Lol at people like Chris Chris trying to say every final fantasy was linear like final hallway 13. Even though there's a world map and you can roam you still have to go from Point A to Point B to advance the story!!! 11 one.

If every final fantasy was as linear as FF13 (or even remotely close to it) why the fuck was 13 ever panned over it? Stop being retarded. BTW - Midgar in the original was a whole 4-6 hours of playtime in the original.

• 2Picard
  • 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Lol at people like Chris Chris trying to say every final fantasy was linear like final hallway 13. Even though there's a world map and you can roam you still have to go from Point A to Point B to advance the story!!! 11 one.

If every final fantasy was as linear as FF13 (or even remotely close to it) why the fuck was 13 ever panned over it? Stop being retarded. BTW - Midgar in the original was a whole 4-6 hours of playtime in the original.
I’m saying specifically FFVII was linear through most of the game. You went from midgar to world map. Then the Kalm. Then to world map. Then to Chocobo bills farm or whatever it was. Then to world map. Then to mine. Then to world map. Then to junon. There is no choice at that point other than deciding to grind on world map if you want to.

Even after that you go on the boat, then arrive in the seaside town, then to mt Corel, then gold saucer. I don’t remember 100% but I’m pretty sure at that point there’s still nothing you can do but continue to progress to the next point or grind. Pretty sure it stays that way until you get the tiny bronco which is over halfway through the game. Then you have wutai and a few other small things you can do until you get the airship

• 2Like

Rude

Potato del Grande
I’m saying specifically FFVII was linear through most of the game. You went from midgar to world map. Then the Kalm. Then to world map. Then to Chocobo bills farm or whatever it was. Then to world map. Then to mine. Then to world map. Then to junon. There is no choice at that point other than deciding to grind on world map if you want to.

Even after that you go on the boat, then arrive in the seaside town, then to mt Corel, then gold saucer. I don’t remember 100% but I’m pretty sure at that point there’s still nothing you can do but continue to progress to the next point or grind. Pretty sure it stays that way until you get the tiny bronco which is over halfway through the game. Then you have wutai and a few other small things you can do until you get the airship
Aeris dies before the halfway point but you're right. You can't accidently go into the desert and get smoked by the Midgar Zolom if you don't goto the Chocobo farm (or kill it if you're stupidly over leveled). You're forced to goto fort condor immediately after crossing through the caves since the game is on rails. Unfortunately have to goto Junon since you can't swim across the ocean, etc. You're reaching and it's pathetic.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot

This. It's still a hallway with the illusion of open world. The most benefit you got out of getting to a place early if possible was maybe some of the shops had some items that were a bit better. But beyond that? You couldn't do anything there until the story deemed it possible. And goes back to what I was saying earlier, once the airship is upgraded and unlocked and you've got the crater opened up, then the game tells you to go enjoy the "open" world it has to offer. But again that's been every FF too.

The thing FF7 remake has going for it over ff13 in terms of linear hallways is that the story is vastly better from the source materials and they did one hell of a job expanding on characters that they couldn't before. You actually get to feel an attachment to Jesse/Biggs/Wedge. Not to mention the extra/fleshed out scenes with Shinra. It still fucking sucks that the JP voice actor for Reno died to cancer. I am hoping maybe the voicework has already been recorded for the next part, but I probably wont be that lucky.

I have gone through 13 maybe twice, it bored the hell out of me on a story level. I just couldn't get attached to it other than to be a completionist, but it was painful. I tried a couple of times to do 13-2 and Lightning returns and jesus fuck it was even worse. One of them was just a time travel menu and you had to repeat a lot of areas. But the base story of 7 is compelling enough that both the original and remake I feel are exactly what I wanted out of the series and I hope they can expand on the good parts for future games in the franchise while of course culling the few parts needing improvement, but for me that's mostly the combat AI as my complaint.

• 2Faggotry
  • 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Linear in story is different than being given a map with a single path and if you try to walk off the path the game yells at you. Wtf is that shit? Let me run in the wrong direction and get killed by high level monsters or do whatever I want

This game hand holds more than the stupid Mr drippy in ni no Kuni 1

• 1Like