Final Fantasy VII Remake

Rude

Potato del Grande
Linear in story is different than being given a map with a single path and if you try to walk off the path the game yells at you. Wtf is that shit? Let me run in the wrong direction and get killed by high level monsters or do whatever I want

This game hand holds more than the stupid Mr drippy in ni no Kuni 1
Come on man get with the times, we're moving goal posts here and selectively remembering history. If you disagree you have rose colored glasses on even though you can literally boot FF7 up on any modern console or PC right now. And 8, and 9, or any of them.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Aeris dies before the halfway point but you're right. You can't accidently go into the desert and get smoked by the Midgar Zolom if you don't goto the Chocobo farm (or kill it if you're stupidly over leveled). You're forced to goto fort condor immediately after crossing through the caves since the game is on rails. Unfortunately have to goto Junon since you can't swim across the ocean, etc. You're reaching and it's pathetic.
You're using the option to grind for hours to beat the midgar zolom for zero rewards as an example of open world and I'm the one reaching? God you are so fucking retarded.

• 1Like

Rude

Potato del Grande
You're using the option to grind for hours to beat the midgar zolom for zero rewards as an example of open world and I'm the one reaching? God you are so fucking retarded.
Yeah, I'm the dipshit who said the tiny bronco was acquired 2/3rds of the way through the game. I also used going from Kalm straight to the chocobo farm as an example of forced linearity. Oh wait, you did, you god damn moron.

• 1Picard

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah, I'm the dipshit who said the tiny bronco was acquired 2/3rds of the way through the game. I also used going from Midgar straight to the chocobo farm as an example of forced linearity. Oh wait, you did, you god damn moron.
This is the most retarded shit I've ever seen. Hurr Durr you can fight something for absolutely no reason after spending way too much time over leveling to end up the exact same spot as if you followed the story. NOT LINEAR

• 1Like

Ether

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I just beat this and want to do a playthrough of the original again on PC. Someone mentioned they would post their mod setup/the best mods. Might have missed it, but could whoever the was post that? It sounds like the two big ones are Reunion and Remako, but I'm not sure you can use both.

Rude

Potato del Grande
This is the most retarded shit I've ever seen. Hurr Durr you can fight something for absolutely no reason after spending way too much time over leveling to end up the exact same spot as if you followed the story. NOT LINEAR
HURR DURR I latch on to one example out of several which disproves my point and attack it because it's related to a forced grind. HURR DURR I'M A FUCKING IDIOT. Quit while you're behind you downy.

• 1Picard

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
HURR DURR I latch on to one example out of several which disproves my point and attack it because it's related to a forced grind. HURR DURR I'M A FUCKING IDIOT. Quit while you're behind you downy.
Your only other example is a town that only has an awful minigame between points A and B. NOT LINEAR. You also forgot to mention that you could grind to find yuffie and answer a few questions to show the extremeness of the non-linearity.

• 1Like

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Except you can get Beta if you defeat Midgar Zolom. Which is the most powerful spell for at least 1/2 of the game.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Your only other example is a town that only has an awful minigame between points A and B. NOT LINEAR. You also forgot to mention that you could grind to find yuffie and answer a few questions to show the extremeness of the non-linearity.

All I read was "Grind Yuffie".

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I just beat this and want to do a playthrough of the original again on PC. Someone mentioned they would post their mod setup/the best mods. Might have missed it, but could whoever the was post that? It sounds like the two big ones are Reunion and Remako, but I'm not sure you can use both.

I use 7th Heaven mod. I will post a screenshot of which mods I use when I get home from work today for sure. [FF7] Tifa's Final Heaven - 7th Heaven Modding Tutorial

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No this game is linear like FF13 was linear. In FF7 original I could just walk around anywhere in the world at least. In this i have a hallway followed by a hallway followed by a monster room. So far, while I enjoy this im giving it a 6/10 for final fantasy games
You're playing Midgar, and Midgar is/was always like that.

• 1Like

Rude

Potato del Grande
Okay, you can skip the blown up reactor town entirely (Gonzaga or whatever the fuck it was called). Glad you're not even refuting your incredibly stupid assertion that the tiny bronco is acquired past the halfway mark, good on you. And are we broadening the scope on what's defined as linear being where you end up after story events regardless of how you arrived there? I just want to make sure you're not going beyond full retard.

Tarisk Tarisk how does it feel to be a completely passive aggressive faggot? Are you so afraid of hurty words that you can't engage anyone outside of reactions? Get cucked and have Mary Palm ride someone else's dick.

• 1Picard

Chris

Potato del Grande
Lol at people like Chris Chris trying to say every final fantasy was linear like final hallway 13. Even though there's a world map and you can roam you still have to go from Point A to Point B to advance the story!!! 11 one.

If every final fantasy was as linear as FF13 (or even remotely close to it) why the fuck was 13 ever panned over it? Stop being retarded. BTW - Midgar in the original was a whole 4-6 hours of playtime in the original.
Side quests and towns.

While the games force you to go from Point A to Point B, periodically having a location be hard to find on a world map or an NPC you must talk to be hard to find in a town, that will give you the feeling that you are doing something meaningful in the search.

Skipable conversations in towns and side quests also give you the feeling that you are making choices.

FF13 was hammered because while FF10 also had linear corridors between locations without the world map illusion, FF13 didn't actually have any locations to go to, just more corridors. It also didn't have any side quest content other than that one Pulse zone with hunts that wasn't a corridor but was otherwise boring as fuck. FF10 was pretty clever working it's corridor into the story with the pilgrimage and building tension as you neared the end of it. FF13 nobody knows what's happening even if you read the fucking in game encylopedia.

FF7 has three sidequest dungeons on Disc 1 (Gongaga/Shinra Mansion/Wutai), It's totally linear before and after that, you just may wander around trying to find the next town. Then it's got like 1 side quest dungeon on each of the next two discs (Sunken Gelnika and Ancient Forest). It's probably got the most side content of any FF game other than 6, which actually is the only non linear one in the second half.

FF7r has 3 sidequest sections that acheive the same thing and the collesium/VR battles.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
All I read was "Grind Yuffie".

20200420_110731.jpg

Grinding Yuffie is an idea I can really get behind.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
You can kill it without grinding.

Give Barret 5 cover materia, back row him, give him a tranquilizer and defend. Other characters cast poison until it's poisoned and heal/defend, no Beta if you don't attack when it stands up.

I never catch a Chocobo.

If you want Beta it's a little trickier, I just go back after you get the 2nd Enemy Skill and Manipulate, as you'll backtrack for White Wind anyway. There's an Absorb Fire ring in a basement in Costa Del Sol to help.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If we're going to shit on FF13, let's not forget that every single chapter gated leveling progression with a maximum xp cap. That shit wasn't an RPG until you literally got to the final areas but by then you didn't care.

• 1Rustled

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Tarisk Tarisk how does it feel to be a completely passive aggressive faggot? Are you so afraid of hurty words that you can't engage anyone outside of reactions? Get cucked and have Mary Palm ride someone else's dick.

Says the person who hasn't had a single fucking counter argument to anything I've said besides dropping a faggot reaction. I already covered this calling your opinion shit because you're talking out of your ass about a game you haven't played and are trying to find any speck of an example you can to feel so fucking proud you were right on ONE thing, even if it's not specific to that complaint, despite being wrong on everything else. Fuck off and try harder.

• 2Faggotry
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Says the person who hasn't had a single fucking counter argument to anything I've said besides dropping a faggot reaction. I already covered this calling your opinion shit because you're talking out of your ass about a game you haven't played and are trying to find any speck of an example you can to feel so fucking proud you were right on ONE thing, even if it's not specific to that complaint, despite being wrong on everything else. Fuck off and try harder.

Yeah it's annoying as hell when someone just drops reactions instead of actually engaging with the topic isn't it?

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 3 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Yeah it's annoying as hell when someone just drops reactions instead of actually engaging with the topic isn't it?

When it's not an opinionated response and it's reactionary because they're buttmad? Yes - Good effort, though, I know you tried with this one.

• 2Faggotry
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users