Final Fantasy VII Remake

Chris

Potato del Grande
I am trying to keep an open mind. As of right now, without FF7 stamped to it, it's one hell of a mediocre at best game. So I am trying to go through it in regards through another lens so to speak. Nothing else to play and will beat it and send it back since I have it, but as of not, 6/10 at best.
Sounds like you don't like Final Fantasy Games.

• 2EyeRoll
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I am trying to keep an open mind. As of right now, without FF7 stamped to it, it's one hell of a mediocre at best game. So I am trying to go through it in regards through another lens so to speak. Nothing else to play and will beat it and send it back since I have it, but as of now, 6/10 at best.

I guess? Characters feel good, voice acting helps a lot, I think they did a pretty good job with that. I know you focus in on random textures here or there but the majority of the game looks gorgeous.

Combat is a little basic that early on, in fact honestly watching some of these videos, it's pretty clear there are just many levels to combat that your average player never even approaches. Both from a skill and mental part. Doing the Chadley research stuff and side missions IS helpful, because getting a lot of the support materia like First Strike, ATB Assist, ATB Stagger, etc...all help to make it NOT feel like you have to button mash to fill ATB, and to help keep the other party members ATB's full. Some of the stuff people are doing with Tifa, though...just next level combat stuff. Requires shortcuts, obviously but it's insane.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I guess? Characters feel good, voice acting helps a lot, I think they did a pretty good job with that. I know you focus in on random textures here or there but the majority of the game looks gorgeous.

Combat is a little basic that early on, in fact honestly watching some of these videos, it's pretty clear there are just many levels to combat that your average player never even approaches. Both from a skill and mental part. Doing the Chadley research stuff and side missions IS helpful, because getting a lot of the support materia like First Strike, ATB Assist, ATB Stagger, etc...all help to make it NOT feel like you have to button mash to fill ATB, and to help keep the other party members ATB's full. Some of the stuff people are doing with Tifa, though...just next level combat stuff. Requires shortcuts, obviously but it's insane.

I like the voice acting. And I like how Cloud is portrayed so far. And the music is good as well so far. The world up to this point is the same. Maybe that will change once I get out of the slums. But going back to what T Talenvor said, at least in the slums, everything looks the same without much variation. I’m sure that changes at some point but as of now there isn’t much variation.

Merrith

I like the voice acting. And I like how Cloud is portrayed so far. And the music is good as well so far. The world up to this point is the same. Maybe that will change once I get out of the slums. But going back to what T Talenvor said, at least in the slums, everything looks the same without much variation. I’m sure that changes at some point but as of now there isn’t much variation.

I think they did a good job with Cloud from where he starts to where he ends. There's an actual logical progression there. Even I have to admit in the OG he goes from emo kid to typical lets save the world hero pretty quick...although obviously there's the whole clusterfuck in his head they fix in between.

Music was top notch for me, like the whole jukebox side stuff where you can collect the songs.

Slums don't change that much, it's really just to give you a feel for how "life on the ground" is versus life on the plate. Jessie's backstory helps with that, too. The fact they need water filters just to not have their water stink and shit like that. Wall Market is where it's at, though. Spent way too much time running around there listening to any conversation I could. One thing they could have fixed is not have 3+ people talking at once when you run past a couple groups. Doesn't let you enjoy all the different stories/voice acting.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Sounds like you don't like Final Fantasy Games.

Meh, it doesn’t play like one barring 15. I’m guessing this is just the new half assed action final fantasy age. Sucks.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Half assed? The combat in this is very good, varied, and much harder than anything the original offered.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Half assed? The combat in this is very good, varied, and much harder than anything the original offered.

Half assed compared to an actual action game. It’s probably fine for JRPG action oriented games.

• 2Like

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just cleared Chapter 13 and damn, definitely a lot more feels there compared to the original. Bosses so far have been absolutely more difficult (playing normal), which is both awesome and sometimes irritating. Trying to melee lock on and destroy arms/wheels/one off body parts can get really ridiculous.

The one thing I do not get is the fact they don't actually use materia to make things better. Helicopters shooting at you? Thunder. Someone dying? Shit I got cure & regen, I'll give them "Revive" is more like a smelling salt and doesn't actually bring someone back from death but you could save just about everyone with deadpool like regen.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I am trying to keep an open mind. As of right now, without FF7 stamped to it, it's one hell of a mediocre at best game. So I am trying to go through it in regards through another lens so to speak. Nothing else to play and will beat it and send it back since I have it, but as of now, 6/10 at best.

it gets better, I felt the same. I am on the last chapter and thinking more 7.5/10 now.

So many corridors!

• 2Like

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The version on my shelf is white and has pictures of Sephiroth grabbing Jenova, the airship, and Ifrit. I think it is the first U.S. release box, not greatest hits.

Yeah. Mine looks like this.

1588692734257.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Malakriss

"Comic Mischief" oh we got to censor that for the kiddies - said no sane person ever

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
it gets better, I felt the same. I am on the last chapter and thinking more 7.5/10 now.

So many corridors!

Yeah I wrapped up Chapter 7 last night. I liked how the boss was set up, but am really curious if those variables even did anything since the Duster fight was frantic anyhow. I did like the lead up - although seemed a little drawn out. Saved and stopped at the start of Chapter 8 in the church.

1-6 was a fucking snore fest Imo. Chapter 7 led up to some excitement. Glad to hear it picks up from here.

Combat is not difficult at all on normal if anyone has even touched a Souls game and assesses their targets. It's harder to just lock in on a damn arm or leg then it is to actually do what you know what needs to be done. Battling the camera and lock on system is what is making combat more difficult over the combat itself which is a walk in the park if you have an IQ over 6. (At least through Chapter 7 so far)

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah I wrapped up Chapter 7 last night. I liked how the boss was set up, but am really curious if those variables even did anything since the Duster fight was frantic anyhow. I did like the lead up - although seemed a little drawn out. Saved and stopped at the start of Chapter 8 in the church.

1-6 was a fucking snore fest Imo. Chapter 7 led up to some excitement. Glad to hear it picks up from here.

Combat is not difficult at all on normal if anyone has even touched a Souls game and assesses their targets. It's harder to just lock in on a damn arm or leg then it is to actually do what you know what needs to be done. Battling the camera and lock on system is what is making combat more difficult over the combat itself which is a walk in the park if you have an IQ over 6. (At least through Chapter 7 so far)
Combat gets harder as the game progresses, have fun with Reno :)

Once you fight Hell House on Hard and it's flying around spitting Tonberrys and furniture at you, come back and complain about the game being too easy :)

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

Once you fight Hell House on Hard and it's flying around spitting Tonberrys and furniture at you, come back and complain about the game being too easy :)

I wont be playing on Hard just normal - once I finish this thing goes back to Gamefly :)

Merrith

Reno isn't the fight I'd be thinking of as far as difficulty picking up goes.

I'm not sure which parts you disabled on the Buster Ut, but if it has more of its' cores, paralyzing lasers happening more often can in theory be a pain. Wouldn't know since I got rid of those.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Reno didn't seem too bad to me, as it seemed most of his attacks could be guard/countered and he went down pretty easy to a punisher mode combo.

The train yard ghost pretty much chain raped Aeris for me, between that and hell house so far those would be the two I cringe the most at re-doing.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Reno didn't seem too bad to me, as it seemed most of his attacks could be guard/countered and he went down pretty easy to a punisher mode combo.

The train yard ghost pretty much chain raped Aeris for me, between that and hell house so far those would be the two I cringe the most at re-doing.

I've not started up hard mode yet but I think I'll definitely be exploiting the main character swapping particularly for hell house.

The only thing that bothered me with hh is that it seemed like cloud couldn't hit a spot that didn't make him bounce off, stunned.

• 1Faggotry

Chris

Potato del Grande

Yeah what I meant is that the Reno fight I think is where you need to learn how to guard/counter, so you'll get fucked up if you haven't been paying attention.

Possibly the Roche fight too, but he may be easier to brute force.