Final Fantasy VII Remake

Chris

Potato del Grande
My Rerolled radar must have been off. I thought they portrayed that character as a dude who was a bit feminine acting and way too into the bros.
In the original the gym owner is called "sis" and uses a female model, so it's probably a tranny since I think that's where you get the wig.

In the remake they just made him gay.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
In the original the gym owner is called "sis" and uses a female model, so it's probably a tranny since I think that's where you get the wig.

In the remake they just made him gay.

Did it actually use a female model? I thought most assumed the gym owner in the original was just a cross dresser and not a tranny

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Didn't he die of cancer? WTF
giphy.gif

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Biggest complaint about combat is the randomness of bosses weaknesses.

Fighting a bunch of fire weak ghosts? Haha this ghost train is weak against ice, fucker! Dungeon full of animals and humans? Suck it you get a robot boss. Arena with all humans? Now fight a giant house that requires having every single element loaded.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Used to watch this guy a lot. Enjoy.

More of what I thought and assumed....

Confirmed sucked at combat.

Hi entire generation of people that grew up and loves turn based RPGs - YOU SUCH AT ACTION GAMES HAHAHA LOLOLOL NERD

Hi moron, action games existed back then, we know we suck or do not like them - thats why we play RPGs...but now there ARE NONE really...so we get upset, and you morons just luzluzluzluzluz

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
As action RPGs go, it's actually a really good system. The biggest drawback is what I mentioned the other day: it takes almost all of your first playthrough just to get to the point where the combat feels "complete". For the vast majority of the game you lack materia slots--even if it's just to level them up, especially since you tend to 'waste' some slots with ones that max out super fast or don't have levels at all like Assess, Steal, etc. And leveling them up takes an ungodly amount of AP, and it's a waste of time to even try to grind it when you know that once you finish the game you immediately get access to a permanent 3x AP buff. Your weapons are rather shitty too until tier 5 is unlocked and you've got 30+ levels worth of SP (+all available NG manuscripts) to spend.

I do think it's a bit of a disappointment that "Classic" mode is such a fucking joke though. There's a reason it's locked to Easy mode, because it's just flat out terrible. 2 AI-controlled characters is bad enough at times without making all three run around doing stupid shit in between abilities/spells. Personally I would have preferred some gambits if this was the best they could do to make the game feel turn-based (lol). Constantly switching between all three characters gets tiresome until you get to the point where the character you control is setup to be a god and the other two can be quickly controlled with L2/R2 commands.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Rufus on Hard Mode is great, he kicks your ass until you learn how to exploit him.

Block Dark Nation, Focus Thrust 1, Triple Slash to stun Rufus, Focus Thrust 2, Braver. Phase 2 in seconds.

Triple Slash until Dark Nation is dead.

Limit Break Rufus when he reloads, Stagger, Braver. Rufus is done. Braver took off half his health :/

Meanwhile Hundred Gunner took me 10-20 minutes without wipes, fuck that boss.

Merrith

More of what I thought and assumed....

Hi entire generation of people that grew up and loves turn based RPGs - YOU SUCH AT ACTION GAMES HAHAHA LOLOLOL NERD

Hi moron, action games existed back then, we know we suck or do not like them - thats why we play RPGs...but now there ARE NONE really...so we get upset, and you morons just luzluzluzluzluz

What generation do you think I am from? I started with FF 1 back on the NES.

I'm saying the way this guy described the combat in this game, there are clear red flags that he wasn't very good/efficient with it.

Siliconemelons

I went over this in the first Brave Default thread...

Brave Default imo has about 95% the perfect balance of "I cant just /play/ this game and not FOCUS on the battle system in a min/max way - play the battle system in its OBVIOUS ways of doing X or Y or Z and a little 'trickery' here and there and win" vs "if I DONT MIN/MAX and focus on insane combos, and items and skill trees and swaps etc bla bla etc etc bla bla bla bla bla bla I wont win." BD had that up to the "real..real" ending where you essentially had to.

This seems like that, and a genera change...the combat system is like an oger, that is like an onion that has layers... I should be able on EASY to play with only a few layers...HARD MODE- yeah sure, better have every layer peeled back and know that if I have a zeus gauntlet in my 5th inventory slot and walk through the thunder-plains before the boss encounter to charge it up and use it on the 19th round of combat while having talked to 7 female NPC's in the 2nd town while staying at 1 inn each time each town- I will have this super bonus...if I press attack at the proper time...

What many have said here, is that difficulty ramps up after a handful of chapters... that indicates that you have to then really start /knowing/ the battle system- that is an action battle system with "RPG elements" - a system many people who WANT a turn based RPG DO NOT LIKE and DONT WANT TO "Get to know".

OG ff7 you could do the entire game and not do any mimic 4x kotr doubble duplication bla bla bla shit... want to kill the optional weapons? sure... but just basic use of the basic attack/heal/magic system with general materia use is fully sufficient to get you through the game.

FFX has some issues imo as well.. I struggled through Anima and then it was fine...then I got to the "end" before Ject/Sin and the "you have to 'sploit these things" to win was stupid

Merrith

I went over this in the first Brave Default thread...

Brave Default imo has about 95% the perfect balance of "I cant just /play/ this game and not FOCUS on the battle system in a min/max way - play the battle system in its OBVIOUS ways of doing X or Y or Z and a little 'trickery' here and there and win" vs "if I DONT MIN/MAX and focus on insane combos, and items and skill trees and swaps etc bla bla etc etc bla bla bla bla bla bla I wont win." BD had that up to the "real..real" ending where you essentially had to.

This seems like that, and a genera change...the combat system is like an oger, that is like an onion that has layers... I should be able on EASY to play with only a few layers...HARD MODE- yeah sure, better have every layer peeled back and know that if I have a zeus gauntlet in my 5th inventory slot and walk through the thunder-plains before the boss encounter to charge it up and use it on the 19th round of combat while having talked to 7 female NPC's in the 2nd town while staying at 1 inn each time each town- I will have this super bonus...if I press attack at the proper time...

What many have said here, is that difficulty ramps up after a handful of chapters... that indicates that you have to then really start /knowing/ the battle system- that is an action battle system with "RPG elements" - a system many people who WANT a turn based RPG DO NOT LIKE and DONT WANT TO "Get to know".

OG ff7 you could do the entire game and not do any mimic 4x kotr doubble duplication bla bla bla shit... want to kill the optional weapons? sure... but just basic use of the basic attack/heal/magic system with general materia use is fully sufficient to get you through the game.

FFX has some issues imo as well.. I struggled through Anima and then it was fine...then I got to the "end" before Ject/Sin and the "you have to 'sploit these things" to win was stupid

I actually really like your description of OG 7 combat, in that you never had to do the crazy materia combos to win the regular game, but people who wanted to delve into the deeper layers could.

Honestly even on Normal, I don't think you have to be any master at this combat to beat the game. Yes, encounters get more challenging, as they should in any game, honestly...but I never hit any huge brick wall that I felt just playing it a little safer with heals and items to keep up hp/mp or guys out of status effects wouldn't solve fairly easily. The fact the Assess materia with only 1 ATB charge basically gives you the blueprint to beat anything in the game is pretty ez mode.

• 1Solidarity

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
If all 3 ATB's filled up more or less at the same time, you could arguably play through this game in much a similar way. Fuck if it's not difficult though when you use your only ATB charge to heal someone, then they eat another 40% damage hit because the AI pathed through shit.

I've had a few boss fights where I was in the red with 2 dead and had to run in circles waiting out ATB's to revive, when I realized it's slower but probably easier to just solo bosses

Chris

Potato del Grande
I definitely facerolled normal mode mostly using Cloud.

Now on Hard I appreciate Tifa for the goddess she is, it's really worth the second play through to enjoy the combat properly.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Combat's only hard when you go into a boss fight with a shit loadout for their weaknesses.

Whenever that's happened I've stacked whatever they're weak to and completely wrecked them the next time.