Final Fantasy VII Remake

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Half watched my wife play through this, and the biggest nag I had was wishing that Barrett had been voice acted by Kevin Michael Richardson instead. I feel like the guy who does the voice over for Barrett was trying to channel Richardson, but just misses bringing it home for me. Also they need some Clancy Brown up in this mother fucker for real. Hopefully he gets in there for one of the next entries. I think they did a really good job with a lot of the characters, especially filling in back story and character for a lot of the add on NPC's that you never really got any depth on in the original. I think they mostly successfully expanded Midgar, but am worried about how much they are going to try and stretch this. If they do more than 2 more games, they are going to absolutely ruin what they have going for them with this one.

Overall I think they did a pretty good job and if they can improve on some things for the next one, and don't take another decade to release the next one, I'll wind up playing through all of them at some point. I actually like that they are leaving things open to stray away from a carbon copy of the original. I'd say that they should have just made a new game entirely, but I think them using the FF7 IP and characters is what puts this over the hump for most people. I don't see it holding up as well if it was a completely new FF world. It took me a minute to get over the insta butt hurt that it wasn't a copy and paste with better graphics, but once I disconnected from that, I can definitely say this is better than any of the other single player entries since FFX, not that that is a high bar.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Half watched my wife play through this, and the biggest nag I had was wishing that Barrett had been voice acted by Kevin Michael Richardson instead. I feel like the guy who does the voice over for Barrett was trying to channel Richardson, but just misses bringing it home for me. Also they need some Clancy Brown up in this mother fucker for real. Hopefully he gets in there for one of the next entries. I think they did a really good job with a lot of the characters, especially filling in back story and character for a lot of the add on NPC's that you never really got any depth on in the original. I think they mostly successfully expanded Midgar, but am worried about how much they are going to try and stretch this. If they do more than 2 more games, they are going to absolutely ruin what they have going for them with this one. Overall I think they did a pretty good job and if they can improve on some things for the next one, and don't take another decade to release the next one, I'll wind up playing through all of them at some point. I actually like that they are leaving things open to stray away from a carbon copy of the original. I'd say that they should have just made a new game entirely, but I think them using the FF7 IP and characters is what puts this over the hump for most people. I don't see it holding up as well if it was a completely new FF world. It took me a minute to get over the insta butt hurt that it wasn't a copy and paste with better graphics, but once I disconnected from that, I can definitely say this is better than any of the other single player entries since FFX, not that that is a high bar.
Paragraphs.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The writing in this game is infuriating, up through Ch. 13 anyway. Plot armor (and/or arbitrarily taking it away) is shitty writing in any medium but I find it completely intolerable in video games where it almost never makes any goddamn sense.

I think they really dropped the ball on the combat too. I have seen videos and the combat system itself is clearly quite good, especially by action-JRPG standards, but it shouldn't take basically the entire NG playthrough on normal difficulty to get to the point where you have enough materia and SP to actually play the game how it's intended.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Zero damage run, mainly showing how powered up magic can wreck stuff. Funny bit of managing other characters so they don't run into Bahamut's damage aura + keeping them in the double cast ward

• 1Like

Merrith

Half watched my wife play through this, and the biggest nag I had was wishing that Barrett had been voice acted by Kevin Michael Richardson instead. I feel like the guy who does the voice over for Barrett was trying to channel Richardson, but just misses bringing it home for me. Also they need some Clancy Brown up in this mother fucker for real. Hopefully he gets in there for one of the next entries. I think they did a really good job with a lot of the characters, especially filling in back story and character for a lot of the add on NPC's that you never really got any depth on in the original. I think they mostly successfully expanded Midgar, but am worried about how much they are going to try and stretch this. If they do more than 2 more games, they are going to absolutely ruin what they have going for them with this one.

Overall I think they did a pretty good job and if they can improve on some things for the next one, and don't take another decade to release the next one, I'll wind up playing through all of them at some point. I actually like that they are leaving things open to stray away from a carbon copy of the original. I'd say that they should have just made a new game entirely, but I think them using the FF7 IP and characters is what puts this over the hump for most people. I don't see it holding up as well if it was a completely new FF world. It took me a minute to get over the insta butt hurt that it wasn't a copy and paste with better graphics, but once I disconnected from that, I can definitely say this is better than any of the other single player entries since FFX, not that that is a high bar.

I could possibly see them doing 4 total parts, depending on how they want to build each part with story sections and obvious ending points. I think the big (well, potential anyways) death scene would be an obvious stopping point for a part, and maybe getting to the northern crater where the Reunion happened with Cloud giving Sephiroth the black materia in the OG could potentially be another end point for a part.

The only problem with ending a part at the Northern Crater is a lot of the part (probably last one) after it would be a lot of optional endgame stuff like chocobo breeding, collecting powerful materia, ancient forest, etc. But they could probably really deep dive into the Mideel sections and getting Cloud back to his right state of mind depending on what direction they go with all that in the part/s prior.

Fadaar

That guy
The only problem with ending a part at the Northern Crater is a lot of the part (probably last one) after it would be a lot of optional endgame stuff like chocobo breeding, collecting powerful materia, ancient forest, etc. But they could probably really deep dive into the Mideel sections and getting Cloud back to his right state of mind depending on what direction they go with all that in the part/s prior.

That's the point where you transition over to play as Zack for a whole installment!

Rude

Potato del Grande
I could possibly see them doing 4 total parts, depending on how they want to build each part with story sections and obvious ending points. I think the big (well, potential anyways) death scene would be an obvious stopping point for a part, and maybe getting to the northern crater where the Reunion happened with Cloud giving Sephiroth the black materia in the OG could potentially be another end point for a part.

Cloud already showed he can resist Sephiroth's will, no need to fix his mental state when it fixed itself in this game.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Either we're going to get more episodes with less time between them, or fewer episodes with more time between them. Which one wold you guys rather have? I'm hoping for 6 episodes altogether on 18 month cycles myself.

• 1Barf

Merrith

Cloud already showed he can resist Sephiroth's will, no need to fix his mental state when it fixed itself in this game.

I'm sure there could be some debate about the final scene with them he's having another episode at the start and it doesn't end until Sephiroth grabs him. In the OG he resisted Seph trying to get him to kill Aerith, too, but couldn't prevent giving over the black materia after.

Even if you're right and they go that route, I'm sure they'll want to go in depth with all the Nibelheim memories since they definitely hinted at a lot of the discontinuity between his story and Tifa in small bits throughout the game.

When he says it had been 5 years near the start, she seems confused (because in her mind it had been much longer), the one guard in the Shinra building recognizing Cloud and saying they went through training together, and Hojo saying Cloud wasn't really a Soldier before plot ghosts interfere and let him reveal more.

Not sure if we really need spoilers anymore but some of that is from near the end of the game.

Merrith

Either we're going to get more episodes with less time between them, or fewer episodes with more time between them. Which one wold you guys rather have? I'm hoping for 6 episodes altogether on 18 month cycles myself.

They pretty much already stated they might prefer doing shorter parts in order to release them faster. 5 more episodes, though? I can't imagine them being as much content as this Midgar part if they go that route, so I'd like the price to reflect that. I also have trouble seeing them hitting 18 months each time, too. I'm still expecting 2 or 3 more parts, and even if the next one is a little shorter than this one, I'm still thinking 3-4.5 years on it.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

One of the numerous things I had a problem with in this game. They rendered too many things pointless/moot, then threw paint all over the canvas by the endgame. This barely has any stakes compared to the original, and I expect every bad thing to be instantly fixed (or not happen at all) like an episode of Disney's Doug.

Chris

Potato del Grande
With shorter installments, they could do:
Kalm -> Nibelheim
Rocket Town -> Temple of the Ancients (via Wutai)
Bone Villiage -> North Crater
Junon 2 -> Midgar 2
Endgame

Each one has an encounter with Sephrioth at the end except the Midgar one ending with you killing the Shinra Executives.

That would have to be DLC though at half price of a normal game. If they want me to buy full priced games it shouldn't be more than 3, I need one part up to City of the Ancients and a final part in that scenario.

Last edited:

Rude

Potato del Grande
I'm sure there could be some debate about the final scene with them he's having another episode at the start and it doesn't end until Sephiroth grabs him. In the OG he resisted Seph trying to get him to kill Aerith, too, but couldn't prevent giving over the black materia after.

Even if you're right and they go that route, I'm sure they'll want to go in depth with all the Nibelheim memories since they definitely hinted at a lot of the discontinuity between his story and Tifa in small bits throughout the game.

When he says it had been 5 years near the start, she seems confused (because in her mind it had been much longer), the one guard in the Shinra building recognizing Cloud and saying they went through training together, and Hojo saying Cloud wasn't really a Soldier before plot ghosts interfere and let him reveal more.

Not sure if we really need spoilers anymore but some of that is from near the end of the game.
Cloud handed the black materia over to Sephiroth almost immediately after the temple riddle was solved. Then he wailed on Aeris. He hesitated before striking her down in the city of ancients and Sephiroth smoked her anyway. He was mentally skull fucked before he handed over the materia at the northern crater, so maybe that can remain intact in some form. Regardless he could not resist Sephiroth's will in any form until Tifa helped him solve his schizophrenia in the life stream. I think he had more personalities than Fei Wong did.

Merrith

Cloud handed the black materia over to Sephiroth almost immediately after the temple riddle was solved. Then he wailed on Aeris. He hesitated before striking her down in the city of ancients and Sephiroth smoked her anyway. He was mentally skull fucked before he handed over the materia at the northern crater, so maybe that can remain intact in some form. Regardless he could not resist Sephiroth's will in any form until Tifa helped him solve his schizophrenia in the life stream. I think he had more personalities than Fei Wong did.

I mean, the real next level to this whole Part is Sephiroth is back to being the manipulator of Cloud that he always was from the OG, and in the end it certainly seems like he's actually gotten Cloud and company to do what he wanted to this point.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
That's the point where you transition over to play as Zack for a whole installment!
Nah, some random Shinra employee’s daughter that avalanche killed kills cloud and you take over her and finish the game

• 7Worf
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 7 users

Merrith

Nah, some random Shinra employee’s daughter that avalanche killed kills cloud and you take over her and finish the game

I cannot wait to see the shit storm when that comes out. It'll be almost exactly like the Red Wedding from GoT, but for entirely different reasons.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Jesus. WTB DLC to play as Tifa and Aerith in their dresses for the entire game. You just know they'll do that too. "$9.99, soldier boy!"

spronk

FPS noob
wait until the pc version is released

FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REMAKE_20200412023108.jpg

FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REMAKE_20200413015040.jpg

finally got the pull ups trophy after around 15 tries, that trophy and minigame fucking sucks. gonna replay the game on hard and see if i can hang or if i just give up after a while

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

wait until the pc version is released

FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REMAKE_20200412023108.jpg

FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REMAKE_20200413015040.jpg

finally got the pull ups trophy after around 15 tries, that trophy and minigame fucking sucks. gonna replay the game on hard and see if i can hang or if i just give up after a while

I tied 44-44 on pull ups 3 times before finally winning one 43-41 on my normal playthrough. Probably took ~15 tries, too. Just RNG how many he does I guess, or if you're a beast and can put up 45+.