Final Fantasy VII Remake

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Reddit is deep diving the texture bit, seeing as how they can confirm the HD assets all do exist however it's a PS4/engine coding issue for why the high level of detail never loads in.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Personally I like it so far. It's missing a little bit of the exploration aspect (not that midgar was really rife with it in the first place) but otherwise it's been fine. The sidequest stuff is exactly that: sidequest stuff. Feels tacked on but is also optional enough for the most part that it doesn't detract. The VR "This is how we add summons!" method is a little lame, but forgivable.

I haven't beat it yet (have other games on my plate as well as just having got it last Tuesday) but basically as the end of the Train Graveyard.

It's fine as a remake; I don't get the hate. I wish the combat was... less? Interactive, but it's fine for what it is and it's easy enough to figure out the correct way to do things. Also, having very little elemental magic materia in use when fighting Hell House makes the fight substantially longer haha.

Not as bad as people are making out, but also not a 10/10.

Merrith

Personally I like it so far. It's missing a little bit of the exploration aspect (not that midgar was really rife with it in the first place) but otherwise it's been fine. The sidequest stuff is exactly that: sidequest stuff. Feels tacked on but is also optional enough for the most part that it doesn't detract. The VR "This is how we add summons!" method is a little lame, but forgivable.

I haven't beat it yet (have other games on my plate as well as just having got it last Tuesday) but basically as the end of the Train Graveyard.

It's fine as a remake; I don't get the hate. I wish the combat was... less? Interactive, but it's fine for what it is and it's easy enough to figure out the correct way to do things. Also, having very little elemental magic materia in use when fighting Hell House makes the fight substantially longer haha.

Not as bad as people are making out, but also not a 10/10.

For what it's worth, not everyone is making it out to be that bad. For me it was a 9.5/10, but again the major...turn from the OG story and ending stuff are probably the biggest factors in how you end up rating the game.

Unless you're someone who really has OCD about random textures, or is still leaning very heavily on stuff they haven't liked about SE titles for awhile now, and Nomura/KH in general, or were a real stickler for "turn based combat or bust"...the game will be perfectly enjoyable for 95% of it, then how you react to the stuff I previously mentioned will determine the rest.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I've enjoyed with what little free time I've had recently, all the expanded story etc etc good good, but still a little irked that ATB gets wasted a lot that is my only complaint on the battle system overall..

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
For what it's worth, not everyone is making it out to be that bad. For me it was a 9.5/10, but again the major...turn from the OG story and ending stuff are probably the biggest factors in how you end up rating the game.

Unless you're someone who really has OCD about random textures, or is still leaning very heavily on stuff they haven't liked about SE titles for awhile now, and Nomura/KH in general, or were a real stickler for "turn based combat or bust"...the game will be perfectly enjoyable for 95% of it, then how you react to the stuff I previously mentioned will determine the rest.

It isn't OCD to expect textures to load in properly in 2020. It's common sense.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am far more OCD about any event happening that requires I A) run below max speed, B) have to walk because an NPC is walking, or C) squeezing through an ungodly lengthy hall blockage/kid hideout path/narrow beam etc.

Fuck random textures :trollface:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

It isn't OCD to expect textures to load in properly in 2020. It's common sense.

It feels OCD to focus on some random door or wall versus how 95% of the game looks. Although it sure feels like that sort of stuff was something that could/should(?) have been fixed in some Day 1 patch. I agree it's odd that it is there at all, but it isn't affecting my enjoyment of the game at all.

Semi related, was your PS4 loud as fuck running this game? Mine definitely sounded like it was working overtime.

• 2Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
It feels OCD to focus on some random door or wall versus how 95% of the game looks. Although it sure feels like that sort of stuff was something that could/should(?) have been fixed in some Day 1 patch. I agree it's odd that it is there at all, but it isn't affecting my enjoyment of the game at all.

Semi related, was your PS4 loud as fuck running this game? Mine definitely sounded like it was working overtime.

Yeah in times for sure. But on PS Pro. I still haven't picked it up since entering Chapter 8 but will have more time Tonight through Wednesday :)

Merrith

Yeah in times for sure. But on PS Pro. I still haven't picked it up since entering Chapter 8 but will have more time Tonight through Wednesday :)

Yeah I'm on a Pro as well. Shit would get pretty hot after a few hours straight of gameplay. I'm actually curious how it'll all look going forward on PS5 for the next Part/s.

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
F311B0B8-67BC-4039-A9CB-0D194858C3D7.jpeg

• 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I'm on a Pro as well. Shit would get pretty hot after a few hours straight of gameplay. I'm actually curious how it'll all look going forward on PS5 for the next Part/s.

Likely very similar. From what I've read, they're sticking to the same engine (UE4) for the whole FF7 series instead of switching to the UE5 engine that PS5 will probably support.

The PS4 gen had a couple years where the games weren't a huge graphical leap because so many of them still used old engines, and every goddamn game had to get a dual release on PS3 which held the PS4 versions back graphically. Then you started getting native PS4 games on new engines like Bloodborne and Yakuza 6 that looked WAY better than earlier games on the system. Expecting the same thing to happen with PS5 where we won't see what it can really do until a year or two in.

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Finally beat it tonight. Glad to see all the "spoilers" I accidentally read were misleading bullshit. Great game. Now to go back 10 pages and read up.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
The battle system was so bad to me personally I won’t experience the rest of what you listed. I actually wanted to, I had it preordered before I played the demo, which is rare for me.

If they would have put some effort into the turned based ultra easy mode to make it challenging and play more like the majority of FF games do maybe I, and others, wouldn’t be so negative. Some of us are disappointed or pissed off, of course people are going to be negative. We understand that you loved it, good for you, stop whining about others not agreeing with your assessment and you’ll see less negative responses to your unending praise.

I'm with you on this. I preordered it in June of 19. But man this crap combat. And those awful side quests. I gave up at aerith's house.

I really open for the next 9 installments they put back in a real turn based system option. Or at least in 20yrs when they do a complete game they add it into that.

• 1Solidarity

Merrith

I do feel bad for the "turn based combat or bust" crowd. Mainly because you wait this long, it gets announced, but they didn't make that type of game those people wanted, and it's not like they will make another.

Still think the new combat is pretty great, though.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like