Final Fantasy VII Remake

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
4FB82BC7-021B-4833-A9A4-28C9BE9BD799.jpeg

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Can't help but feel the remake is very forgettable compared to the original.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Can't help but feel the remake is very forgettable compared to the original.

Being only Part 1, kind of an incomplete for now. Personally felt the characters were A+ and prefer the remake versions over the originals. I also can't stop listening to the music from the Remake.

Next Part they're going to have different things to get right, though. They need to make the story changes go somewhere meaningful, and they have to come up with a good compromise for combat/power levels. Do you still have all the materia leveled up that you got in Part 1? Is there a reset? Trimming of weapons going forward (I can't imagine it would be smart to have each character ending up with 20+ weapons with their own advancement systems)?

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
At 6-7 Weapons per part for instance Cloud had 16 weapons in the original, probably will be doing more weapons later.

Why Reset ? The game seems to be setup too properly handle it, I don't see them resetting levels/weapons/materia or trimming the weapons at all..

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Being only Part 1, kind of an incomplete for now. Personally felt the characters were A+ and prefer the remake versions over the originals. I also can't stop listening to the music from the Remake.

Next Part they're going to have different things to get right, though. They need to make the story changes go somewhere meaningful, and they have to come up with a good compromise for combat/power levels. Do you still have all the materia leveled up that you got in Part 1? Is there a reset? Trimming of weapons going forward (I can't imagine it would be smart to have each character ending up with 20+ weapons with their own advancement systems)?

Agree there that in the remake, everything was better than in the original in terms of characters, world and introduction to the lore of the game as a whole.

Negatives were the padding (which I didn't mind it so much as I ended up liking the combat, which is also fairly advanced in terms of easy to learn hard to master), some graphical glitches and the fact that it wasn't the entire game. As I said back in my "review", once this is compete, if they keep up the quality of the fist, it could be a 10/10 for me overall.

In terms of progress of the next part of the game, I guess it will depend on if it is stand alone or lets you progress right where you left off. Max is 50 if you grind/do hard mode. If not you'll be between 30-40 at the end (I was 38). They could theoretically do it quite easily.

You exit into the open world where you soon encounter Yufie, which steals your materia. They change exp gains to where level 50+ increases quite a bit, so people who didn't grind will level up quickly at encounters at that part. By the end of the Yufie section, people who did hard/grind only would have a 1-3 level difference compared to people who didn't. They could easily make it so level 50-51 = exp required for 30-40. You might have a few maxed materias, but that could easily be dealt with by having "Fire 2" and such, so you upgrade. So you'd gain some bonuses by having played the first part for longer, but not required.

They might not do stand alone parts, but rather you buy "part 2" and it just adds the chapters to the game you already own (hence no "part 1" in the title of this game).

Plus side, they could deliver more content to the game quicker (which the developers have said they want to do), downside is that it would also enable a possibly predatory purchasing model. I also don't like other gaming companies getting the idea that it is ok to split up a game like this, because it really isn't.

• 1Like

Merrith

Agree there that in the remake, everything was better than in the original in terms of characters, world and introduction to the lore of the game as a whole.

Negatives were the padding (which I didn't mind it so much as I ended up liking the combat, which is also fairly advanced in terms of easy to learn hard to master), some graphical glitches and the fact that it wasn't the entire game. As I said back in my "review", once this is compete, if they keep up the quality of the fist, it could be a 10/10 for me overall.

In terms of progress of the next part of the game, I guess it will depend on if it is stand alone or lets you progress right where you left off. Max is 50 if you grind/do hard mode. If not you'll be between 30-40 at the end (I was 38). They could theoretically do it quite easily.

You exit into the open world where you soon encounter Yufie, which steals your materia. They change exp gains to where level 50+ increases quite a bit, so people who didn't grind will level up quickly at encounters at that part. By the end of the Yufie section, people who did hard/grind only would have a 1-3 level difference compared to people who didn't. They could easily make it so level 50-51 = exp required for 30-40. You might have a few maxed materias, but that could easily be dealt with by having "Fire 2" and such, so you upgrade. So you'd gain some bonuses by having played the first part for longer, but not required.

They might not do stand alone parts, but rather you buy "part 2" and it just adds the chapters to the game you already own (hence no "part 1" in the title of this game).

Plus side, they could deliver more content to the game quicker (which the developers have said they want to do), downside is that it would also enable a possibly predatory purchasing model. I also don't like other gaming companies getting the idea that it is ok to split up a game like this, because it really isn't.

Last I heard they were still targeting 3 total parts, maybe 4, so I don't know if the whole "get smaller parts out faster" talk was just lip service, or if they discussed but discarded the idea. I'm with you in that the quality was absolutely there, and it'll be a 10/10 for me if they can keep it up, because I really enjoyed the combat. Part of all that, though, is they have to have something good in store for the story changes. Because they could fuck it up big time. It's a big risk they're taking.

As for the combat balance, I could easily see them resetting everyone to like level 30 or 35, and having you level up to 70 or 75 in Part 2 (assuming it's a 3 part game). Whether or not they remove some materia or nerf your levels in it, I don't know. Probably removing some of the extra weapons (maybe keep the abilities, but maybe not because at some point there will be some serious bloat over 3+ episodes) and/or their abilities.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Unless they can release the remaining parts within 2 years, I don't see how they'll maintain any momentum.

Not excited about finishing this in 2025. Which is probably overly optimistic still.

Merrith

Unless they can release the remaining parts within 2 years, I don't see how they'll maintain any momentum.

Not excited about finishing this in 2025. Which is probably overly optimistic still.

At this rate 2025 might be hopeful. But obviously seeing if Part 2 can come out quicker than the first will give a better idea on final timeline. Frankly for those invested I don't think momentum will be an issue.

Malakriss

Some of the more important mentions:
That Cloud could get the berserk status (increases attack but reduces defense) by holding Square while in Punisher Mode.
L1 multi-use item system (although it's quite hidden and never mentioned in game). Literally wasted hours using potions one by one... (out of combat to keep item menu open)
Almost everything involving the bike chases, and I didn’t know how most of these things worked until after my 3rd playthrough. I didn’t know you could block, I didn’t know how accelerate and brake worked (i did know the buttons, but not the functionality), I didn’t know that going over jumps recharges your triangle ability, and on Motorball I didn’t know that you had to accelerate to catch him during the blue ball phase (I thought you just had to wait it out).

• 1Like

nu_11

How is Part 2 being in full development interesting news? It would be much more interested if it was NOT in full development.

Siliconemelons

I do not see why they do not just put 1$ AO content patches / DLC out.

Release the game as T, release a M DLC for 1$ and a AO DLC for 1$- age is verified via your paying for it and all the jazz, as all these accounts are technically 18+ with payment systems.

Should not be that hard and really...would net them little chunk of change honestly... (because you know most everyone would buy it)

I think self editing your content, unless its stupid gratuitous, is artistically basic.

Merrith

Funny to read once again Nomura and others were having to pull Kitase and Nojima back from doing even more drastic stuff (like them wanting to kill all but 3 characters that you would get to choose on the return to Midgar in the OG).

Not sure I'd say it being in full development qualifies as interesting...although with all the shutdowns and what not it's nice to hear the process hasn't really been all that delayed I guess.

Cybsled

The massage parlor part was fine as is. The innuendo worked well for comedic effect: He literally gets a hand job lol

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users