Final Fantasy VII Remake

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
PS5 (Intergrade) has Yuffie included, not sure where you read that it's not. If you have the PS4 version and free upgrade it that's the only time you'd pay $20 for the DLC.

Cheapest of any option was to pay $30 when the PS4 went on sale and then buy the DLC later. Cacstar weapon likely will be free to download in a few months.
Yeah, I read that wrong somehow. The extra $20 for digital deluxe is just digital artbook and soundtrack.

And yeah, I bought the game with the Keep button from GameFly a long time ago, so it was only like $20. Still don't see myself giving them $20 for Yuffie unless it's vastly longer than I expect it to be. I'll wait for a <=$10 sale, since afaik she isn't even really a part of the main game and it's just a separate thing like the FF15 DLCs.

Doubt the Cacstar weapon will ever be free though, they never gave away the Cactuar or Carbuncle materia from the original deluxe edition, or even the chocobo chick from preordering (which they never even sold as DLC for people who missed it). The only stuff they gave away were the bangles that were originally from buying candy bars.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Why would they be? They didn't purchase the game. You get the free upgrade to PS5 version is you bought the PS4 version. Then all you have to do is buy the DLC separate. If you didn't buy the PS4 version, you buy PS5 Intergrade for everything.

If they want to sell the DLC, perfectly fine. We should all be entitled to system upgrades. Leave it to some publishers to monetize this. You can’t seriously think there is a lot going into these types of upgrades correct? These aren’t complete from the ground up remakes. Ps plus title or not.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If they want to sell the DLC, perfectly fine. We should all be entitled to system upgrades. Leave it to some publishers to monetize this. You can’t seriously think there is a lot going into these types of upgrades correct? These aren’t complete from the ground up remakes. Ps plus title or not.

So you have the main game. You pay for it. You have the DLC, you pay for that. If you bought the PS4 base game, they upgrade that for free so all you have to buy is the DLC. Makes sense, you paid for the game. If you didn't get the game yet, you buy the full Intergrade version which gets you the PS5 base game and the DLC, you paid for both, just like those that paid for the PS4 version and the DLC will have done.

If you're a PS plus person, you got to check out the base version of the game for free...but you should also get the free upgrade when you never paid for the base game? No, that's stupid.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So you have the main game. You pay for it. You have the DLC, you pay for that. If you bought the PS4 base game, they upgrade that for free so all you have to buy is the DLC. Makes sense, you paid for the game. If you didn't get the game yet, you buy the full Intergrade version which gets you the PS5 base game and the DLC, you paid for both, just like those that paid for the PS4 version and the DLC will have done.

If you're a PS plus person, you got to check out the base version of the game for free...but you should also get the free upgrade when you never paid for the base game? No, that's stupid.

You act like SE didn’t get paid for having their game on PS Plus. You also seem to think this Ps5 upgrade is anything more than a couple toggle switches and cleaning up bugged textures. It won’t even run 4k60. Native 4k30 with 1440 upscale at 60. This “upgrade” took all of about 2 days of two people working on it while catching up on Netflix shows. Also, Witcher 3, a much older game, which has been across MANY "free" download services (Which we all pay for and companies profit share off of for having their games on there) is getting a free pass a long with many others.

Now I want to say, I totally agree with you if this was Mass Effect Legendary where they put in effort and made changes with ray tracing, etc.

SE did absolutely NOTHING here aside from buy a couple Happy Meals for a few dudes in a garage playing with an INI editor.

They made WAY more on PS Plus entitlement (Add to Library, which is why you have to do this for tracking their payments) then they would have selling the game in March through now. And should have done what everyone else is doing - and that's seed it for DLC and future sequel interest. This "upgrade" is now $20 bucks for base game from a PS Plus download, just a little less than half the price of the game itself, for zero work. There is no defending that. We also pay for PS Plus - and that profit sharing went to SE. The game was not "Free" for us, nor was it not compensated handsomely by SE putting it in the service.

Last edited:
  • 1Salty

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Maybe I'm getting old but I miss turn-based combat. All this pirouetting in the air and mashing buttons shit makes me feel less in control of my character.

I completely agree. I much prefer turn-based combat. ADHD generation that needs to press a button every 0.5 second if not the game sucks! The people who need QTEs in their cut scenes as well.

Then again, I don't mind an "updated" turn-based combat, that's a bit more tactical than just pressing X. So I understand it's a bit more difficult to design for a "fun" turn based combat in games such as FF compared to say a Divinity Original Sin 1-2 where every encounter is hand crafted with no random/duplicate encounters.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
I really enjoyed Yakuza 7's turn based combat. Its been a while since I played FF7R but i don't really remember feeling stressed about the combat, and you can pause anytime to think about what you want to do next. I think the game even has an actual turn based mode but i never tried it.

• 1Like

Malakriss

The problem with videos of action based combat w/ menus is they intentionally navigate selections slower for the viewers. When actually playing it yourself you get the muscle memory after learning the menu options and shortcuts to blaze through it with minimal delay.

Merrith

You act like SE didn’t get paid for having their game on PS Plus. You also seem to think this Ps5 upgrade is anything more than a couple toggle switches and cleaning up bugged textures. It won’t even run 4k60. Native 4k30 with 1440 upscale at 60. This “upgrade” took all of about 2 days of two people working on it while catching up on Netflix shows. Also, Witcher 3, a much older game, which has been across MANY "free" download services (Which we all pay for and companies profit share off of for having their games on there) is getting a free pass a long with many others.

Now I want to say, I totally agree with you if this was Mass Effect Legendary where they put in effort and made changes with ray tracing, etc.

SE did absolutely NOTHING here aside from buy a couple Happy Meals for a few dudes in a garage playing with an INI editor.

They made WAY more on PS Plus entitlement (Add to Library, which is why you have to do this for tracking their payments) then they would have selling the game in March through now. And should have done what everyone else is doing - and that's seed it for DLC and future sequel interest. This "upgrade" is now $20 bucks for base game from a PS Plus download, just a little less than half the price of the game itself, for zero work. There is no defending that. We also pay for PS Plus - and that profit sharing went to SE. The game was not "Free" for us, nor was it not compensated handsomely by SE putting it in the service.

None of that matters. They're not just going to essentially give the base game away for free. That would just justify everyone waiting in the future in a similar situation knowing they can put it off for a year and get it all for nothing. Pisses off people who paid for the game at release. And it's not even the touch ups or whatever, the game itself is still worth something they want to get compensated for, whatever extra money they got for putting it out on Plus.

• 1Slow
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

The problem with videos of action based combat w/ menus is they intentionally navigate selections slower for the viewers. When actually playing it yourself you get the muscle memory after learning the menu options and shortcuts to blaze through it with minimal delay.

This. I still love the old turn based stuff, but the transition to Remake's combat wasn't hard at all, and it actually became a lot of fun. Seeing all the crazy stuff you can do with it made me try out a whole bunch of things, as well.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Seriously?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This. I still love the old turn based stuff, but the transition to Remake's combat wasn't hard at all, and it actually became a lot of fun. Seeing all the crazy stuff you can do with it made me try out a whole bunch of things, as well.
I keep hearing people say you can do crazy stuff and the combat is so deep but it just isn’t. Woopdedo if you do your attacks in the same combo order over and over it does more damage. Wtf is deep about it other than they don’t explain it in the game and you have to figure it out?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
None of that matters. They're not just going to essentially give the base game away for free. That would just justify everyone waiting in the future in a similar situation knowing they can put it off for a year and get it all for nothing. Pisses off people who paid for the game at release. And it's not even the touch ups or whatever, the game itself is still worth something they want to get compensated for, whatever extra money they got for putting it out on Plus.

raw.gif

• 1Picard
  • 1Salty

Merrith

I keep hearing people say you can do crazy stuff and the combat is so deep but it just isn’t. Woopdedo if you do your attacks in the same combo order over and over it does more damage. Wtf is deep about it other than they don’t explain it in the game and you have to figure it out?

There's a lot of vids out there with different builds for each character and such. Guess it depends on your definition of deep. You don't have to do any of that to beat the game, although it's tougher to just do real basic stuff to full clear hard mode.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
There's a lot of vids out there with different builds for each character and such. Guess it depends on your definition of deep. You don't have to do any of that to beat the game, although it's tougher to just do real basic stuff to full clear hard mode.
Yeah I’ve seen them. I just don’t feel like it’s very deep. I would read posts about how you can do all this crazy stuff then I go look up the video and they’re all “if you do Tifas attacks in this order it does more damage or staggers more often” it’s cool and all, I just wasn’t that impressed with how “deep” doing attacks in a certain order on one character really is. Barrett’s consists of “press the charge button when he does his reload animation” lol

• 3Like

Merrith

Yeah I’ve seen them. I just don’t feel like it’s very deep. I would read posts about how you can do all this crazy stuff then I go look up the video and they’re all “if you do Tifas attacks in this order it does more damage or staggers more often” it’s cool and all, I just wasn’t that impressed with how “deep” doing attacks in a certain order on one character really is. Barrett’s consists of “press the charge button when he does his reload animation” lol

There's a lot more out there than just the couple that was posted, but hey, it's not for everyone.

• 1Slow

Chris

Potato del Grande
A lot of it is the materia combos to get way more actions per turn.

But yeah OG FF7 was pretty deep. Spam attack and save MP for Cure-All early game, Spam attack and Enemy Skill mid game, Double Cut and W-Summon Knights of the Round/Mime endgame.

FF5 is deep. The rest not so much.

• 3Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
A lot of it is the materia combos to get way more actions per turn.

But yeah OG FF7 was pretty deep. Spam attack and save MP for Cure-All early game, Spam attack and Enemy Skill mid game, Double Cut and W-Summon Knights of the Round/Mime endgame.

FF5 is deep. The rest not so much.
Yeah if I saw people saying ff7 combat was deep or complex I’d be calling that out too. All ff combat is pretty straightforward.

• 1Truth!

Malakriss

For the Remake it was weird cause Hard mode locked out Ethers so you had to manage MP for healing and buffs. A simple harder mode without the restriction would let us unload with magic more and up the choices.

Merrith

For the Remake it was weird cause Hard mode locked out Ethers so you had to manage MP for healing and buffs. A simple harder mode without the restriction would let us unload with magic more and up the choices.

That's where a lot of the different weapon builds helped out with reducing MP costs and allow you to drain back health with certain actions for free heals. Another plus for the game was that you didn't outgrow any of the weapons, leveled up you could make viable builds with basically all of them.