Final Fantasy VII Remake

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wasn't it determined that everything where ghosts were involved is OG storyline? Like Barrett gets killed in Shinra Tower but the ghosts bring him back because the timeline wouldn't allow it. Once you get past the big shadow boss fights out on the highway, THAT is the new storyline. Basically everything from the Sephiroth fight onward. Which really isn't much in part 1 but everything else from here on out.

For the most part, I think that is true, although there is uncertainty over why Biggs is alive, and what happened to Wedge since you see the ghosts grabbing/pushing him potentially out a window since he was supposed to be dead, but all you hear is glass breaking at a black screen so you don't actually see what happens to him.

Just a little wild how far off the rails some people are predicting the story ends up going from here. I still expect the party to get to Kalm, and do the whole flashback stuff with Cloud telling things as he does the original way from the OG. Choco ranch, etc...the whole 9. Only major differences I expect depend on what they end up doing with Zack, or what all Aerith actually tells the party since she clearly knows more about what is actually going on.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
For the most part, I think that is true, although there is uncertainty over why Biggs is alive, and what happened to Wedge since you see the ghosts grabbing/pushing him potentially out a window since he was supposed to be dead, but all you hear is glass breaking at a black screen so you don't actually see what happens to him.

Just a little wild how far off the rails some people are predicting the story ends up going from here. I still expect the party to get to Kalm, and do the whole flashback stuff with Cloud telling things as he does the original way from the OG. Choco ranch, etc...the whole 9. Only major differences I expect depend on what they end up doing with Zack, or what all Aerith actually tells the party since she clearly knows more about what is actually going on.
I didn't necessarily mean they're not gonna do the same thing, just that they don't need to adhere to the same rules as even in this one, where everytime something weird happens, the ghosts show up and what not. Like they might just add a new character, not kill Aerith(or kill her at a different point, like at the end instead) or just change whatever other story part they'd want. Obviously for ease of writing and still for nostalgia's sake, I think they'll stick to the big lines still, so you'll visit the same places and fight the same bosses and all that, just they're not stuck trying to fit mostly the same story so they can scrap parts they don't like, or rework them in a different order or with a different meaning.

The end result might be quite different. I don't think they'd have us fight the big destiny ghost otherwise, and show some aspects at the end that differ from the original like Biggs. But I also don't think they'll like, take a rocket and go to the Meteor Sephiroth is calling to destroy it by planting a bomb on the surface or anything. It's still gonna follow the story to an extent, just with potentially a bunch of changes.

Regardless it was a pretty enjoyable game so I'm looking forward to the next one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Okay that makes more sense. There's a lot of really crazy theories out there with just the entire game changing, which would be a lot more work and not make too much sense. But yeah I mostly agree, although I'm not sure how much actual deviation there will be, rather than just a large change of tone to how the party reacts to what happens as the story goes. The Zack stuff is just the big wild card for me. Who the hell knows what's going on there.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Okay that makes more sense. There's a lot of really crazy theories out there with just the entire game changing, which would be a lot more work and not make too much sense. But yeah I mostly agree, although I'm not sure how much actual deviation there will be, rather than just a large change of tone to how the party reacts to what happens as the story goes. The Zack stuff is just the big wild card for me. Who the hell knows what's going on there.
I’m sure like all final fantasy games the end result will make total sense and be completely satisfying.....

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I mean, there's plenty that do, and quite a few that don't, right?
I can’t really remember many that do. FF1 had time travel. FF4 had some random moon alien although the story made sense up til that happened. FF5 had a random final boss out of nowhere. FF6 made sense I guess. 7 is all kinds of weird with the livestream and alternate timelines. FF9 had a random final boss out of nowhere. I don’t remember the details of most after that, just enough that most have some kind of weird twist or random boss at the end and the endings are usually like “wtf?” I remember hating 13s ending cause it was out of nowhere too.

Merrith

I can’t really remember many that do. FF1 had time travel. FF4 had some random moon alien although the story made sense up til that happened. FF5 had a random final boss out of nowhere. FF6 made sense I guess. 7 is all kinds of weird with the livestream and alternate timelines. FF9 had a random final boss out of nowhere. I don’t remember the details of most after that, just enough that most have some kind of weird twist or random boss at the end and the endings are usually like “wtf?” I remember hating 13s ending cause it was out of nowhere too.
I was still happy with 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, and 12 too. Never really played 2 or 3. 15 was okay.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I just want to see Gold Saucer in the remake

Oh man, that's my hope too. Where do we think they're gonna end things in Part 2? I've seen people say "the end of disc 1" which I think is super optimistic and not likely at all. More likely it'll end either at Nibelheim or Temple of Ancients. However at this point I think we'll be lucky just to get Junon/Corel/Gold Saucer. Red and Yuffie as the new characters, game ends right before you get Cait Sith (like the first does with Red, sort of).

Most of the FF games have a surprise final boss out of nowhere. FF6 being actually straightforward is probably one of the reasons it's so well-liked. I've beaten every FF game except Crystal Chronicles at this point (just got the remaster so I can give it a try) and I can't remember any of the final bosses being well-developed or straightforward outside of FF6 and FF15. I disliked basically everything about FF15, but Ardyn was one of the best villains in the series. Him sitting on your father's throne, after causing the collapse of your kingdom, is great. Like you find him just making himself at home in the ruins of the old world. Kefka sorta does the same thing, once you realize that his tower is made from the ruins of old Vector (and lots of human bone, apparently).

Know what I would have really liked? Culex in FF4. I played Mario RPG before FF4 and the entire time I was playing FF4 I thought Culex was the final boss due to how Mario RPG made it sound. Still not sure what that was all about. "In another game, we were enemies"? So yeah, I didn't expect Golbez to last and thought there would be a final boss outta nowhere. It still surprised me when Zemus showed up and I was like "Who? Where's Culex?"

Once the credits rolled I still didn't give up, and scoured the final area Lunar Subterrane for any sign of Culex as a secret boss. Found other hidden bosses I missed (like Wyvern) which didn't do anything to deter me.

WRU Culex

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
There's introducing Ultimecia late game as a surprise reveal that's been hinted at and hits the plot, and then there's fucking Necron.

Very few FF games just have something random at the end like Necron/Cloud of Darkness/Orphan. There's just as many plot twist puppetmasters like Zemus/Ultimecia/Yevon and straightforward antagonists like Exdeath/Kefka/Sephrioth.

Final Fantasy 12 doesn't even have a proper antagonist, it just ends in budget cut creative differences.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
There's introducing Ultimecia late game as a surprise reveal that's been hinted at and hits the plot, and then there's fucking Necron.

Very few FF games just have something random at the end like Necron/Cloud of Darkness/Orphan. There's just as many plot twist puppetmasters like Zemus/Ultimecia/Yevon and straightforward antagonists like Exdeath/Kefka/Sephrioth.

Final Fantasy 12 doesn't even have a proper antagonist, it just ends in budget cut creative differences.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Exdeath. He's a pretty straightforward villain throughout the game.

The fight with Exdeath at the end of "disc 2" (aka the second of the three worlds) was one of the best fights I've ever had in an RPG. He uses all kinds of buffs/debuffs in that fight and it turned into a real chess match. Also the music sounds like "The Beautiful People" by Marilyn Manson.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Beat this a couple days ago. The ending was kind of lame, just giant whispers fighting you out of nowhere, the world collapsing all over the place forming pathways in some other world with junk...what? But that’s on par with most FF games I guess so whatever. Fighting sephiroth solo as cloud was cool, although him interrupting you constantly was annoying.

Anyways, music and graphics, great. Loved the music, so much nostalgia. Graphics were mostly great with random textures fucking it up...I still don’t understand clouds big blur of a door and the weird graphical ghosting that happens a lot. I was really fucking tired of the slums and put it down for a while due to boredom of running through slum hallways for more than half the game.

Picked it back up and luckily the plate fell and it got more interesting. I loved fighting my way up the fallen plate. That sunset over the wreckage was beautiful backdrop during the fights up. The shinra tower was a great change of scenery too. Still sucked the entire game was a hallway, really hope the next one opens it up.

Still not a fan of the combat. Mobs randomly moving so you completely miss an attack or limit break or spell is really fucking annoying. Mobs that constantly interrupt what you’re trying to do was really annoying. I also think items should cost a fraction of an ATB bar or something. All I ever used was mega potion, Phoenix down, ether, and the toad item. Never used a single other thing because a full ATB is just too much to waste to cure poison or sleep or whatever else. It was much easier to just switch to a different character and wait for whatever to wear off who you were playing. I wish there was a way to set up some minor AI stuff too. The other characters in the group are basically fucking useless except to switch to when you get silenced or something. They barely do anything, their ATB crawls, etc. The auto cure thing was ok but I’d switch enough it wasn’t all that useful, and material slots aren’t plentiful enough so it wasn’t worth everyone equipping.

I didn’t care for the side quests. I did them all but they were all lame and halfassed. Just felt like time filler to me, the little story they added was worthless. Would’ve rather they left those out and just let you get further into the story than they did.

At the end I only had four summons. Looked it up and saw you could get bahamut and leviathan. I didn’t do the “Refocus” limit so never got the VR missions for them. I tried at one point but after playing for hours on end without getting a limit break I just took it off, waste of materia slot like mentioned before. Pretty lame to hide VR missions behind that BS...limit breaks are just so rare. Think I did all the other battle intel things though. I see now I can go back and replay chapters so I could try to get it but not sure I want to bother, I don’t really want to play through the entire chapter again to get to the VR station.

Anyways, the nostalgia was great, I’ll play the next installment but I really hope it opens up a bit and they tweak the combat with some AI options or something.

7/10.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Limit Breaks are rare when you just get it, but they're pretty common later on. Especially with the accessories that give mp used > lb and atb used > lb. Later one on Tifa means you get 2-3 limit breaks per boss fight. Refocus is actually pretty good as a result, can pop it pretty early on and then use her normal limit break too, while having faster ATB generation(which is already super fast). Last summon is hard mode only though so you didn't miss all that much if you're not planning to replay that.

Items are fucking worthless, I used like 3 total, 2 phoenix down and one ether. Then whatever I hoarded was useless in hard mode cause you can't even use items.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade will be available as a free update to all who own FF7 Remake on PS4 on June 10, 2021. However, Yuffie's FF7R EPISODE INTERmission will be a separate purchase.

great naming job there, not confusing at all

• 1Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

Humanity has never been good at naming things, this does not surprise me now. Since you're not going to pre-order the PS5 version if you already own it the Cacstar weapon will be available separately later on if you care, similar to how all the original pre-order items and Tifa theme got added in after.

Merrith

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade will be available as a free update to all who own FF7 Remake on PS4 on June 10, 2021. However, Yuffie's FF7R EPISODE INTERmission will be a separate purchase.

great naming job there, not confusing at all

The announcement video specifically said the Yuffie DLC would be available for purchase after upgrading PS4 version to PS5 version. This info been widespread for a month and a half. People are fucking morons if they don't know by now.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The announcement video specifically said the Yuffie DLC would be available for purchase after upgrading PS4 version to PS5 version. This info been widespread for a month and a half. People are fucking morons if they don't know by now.
Sony and other companies still need to communicate better. You shouldn’t really have to research wtf you’re buying because of confusing names and versions and shit. This is just one of several examples I’ve seen of poor wording.