Final Fantasy VII Remake

Rude

Potato del Grande
Cloud and Sephiroth will be playing a board game at the end of the remake. Take that to the bank.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yes this will be complete in 2026, Q1 2027.

Pt 2 probably out Q3 2023.

At least they are doing a fantastic job. You cant really ask for more with what they have produced here with part 1. If 2 and 3 are similar quality, then 7 years will have been worth it.

• 1Worf
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 3 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I just beat Airbuster but it was brutal and Tifa the bae died.

My overall strategy is lacking in this I think. I get waxed when I stick to one character but when I switch characters often it just feels like a complete clusterfuck. Plus I feel I heal more than I fight and that's after blocking a bunch. I'm not a fan of these type of battle systems, straight up. I think I'd get much more joy from this game without having a stroke every boss fight.

SO MY QUESTION IS:

If I start over on easy setting, is there any difference in what I can experience on easy versus hard as far as story-line & content?

Chris

Potato del Grande

My overall strategy is lacking in this I think. I get waxed when I stick to one character but when I switch characters often it just feels like a complete clusterfuck. Plus I feel I heal more than I fight and that's after blocking a bunch. I'm not a fan of these type of battle systems, straight up. I think I'd get much more joy from this game without having a stroke every boss fight.

SO MY QUESTION IS:

If I start over on easy setting, is there any difference in what I can experience on easy versus hard as far as story-line & content?
No but you should be able to finish it on normal mode. Look up some guides, especially on how to use Tifa.

Hard mode only unlicks once you've finished the game I think and can be pretty tough at times.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Use magic and hit the vulnerabilities. You will stagger and kill bosses fast.

I found hard mode to mostly be around the same difficulty as normal because I had a much better understanding of the game/combat system and my characters were all max level with max materia specialized to smash each boss before I fight them. A few bosses were quite a challenge on hard mode such as Eligor.. Hell House on the other hand gave me way more trouble on normal than on hard.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

SO MY QUESTION IS:

Pretty sure nothing changes. The main thing to do with the game is make sure you’re using the right elemental attacks/magic. Honestly I thought that was annoying as fuck because you only knew their weakness once you fought them so if you don’t have that equipped then lol fu. It wasn’t that bad late game when you had enough slots that everyone had everything covered but early and mid game it was really annoying. Some fights were so slow it would be faster to load your game back up, equip the right shit and start the fight again.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Thanks guys. The battle system is the exact reason I haven't touched it in months and months. Shoot, I bought it on day 1 release... got the deluxe edition too.

I can't lie... I used to chide my older brother for always selecting the "easy" setting on games. I don't think I can blame my lack of skill on age... it's just something about that battle system that I cannot feel "good" at. At all. I used to dominate FF games... had a huge item stock throughout the game of ethers, hi-potions, elixirs etc as I got them. Not this time... I feel underequipped always too because I use so many resources just to try to friggin stay alive.

Amazing... I mean AMAZING game; it's just oil and water with me and the battle system.

• 1Like

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you try to brute force it you're going to have a bad time, that was how I originally went through it because trying to prep the right materia before hand or save-scumming it wasn't appealing. Gets better later on when you can basically equip fire/ice/light on one person and then just swap to them to stagger, swap back to whomever else to blow it up.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
If you try to brute force it you're going to have a bad time, that was how I originally went through it because trying to prep the right materia before hand or save-scumming it wasn't appealing. Gets better later on when you can basically equip fire/ice/light on one person and then just swap to them to stagger, swap back to whomever else to blow it up.
They should have just made it so you can swap materia during battle. I know it sounds cheesy but the design of needing specific materia for certain battles is shitty and they should have compensated for that. Save scumming or looking up battles ahead of time is worse than being able to change in battle IMO. Would have made the combat much better/less annoying.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Thanks guys. The battle system is the exact reason I haven't touched it in months and months. Shoot, I bought it on day 1 release... got the deluxe edition too.

I can't lie... I used to chide my older brother for always selecting the "easy" setting on games. I don't think I can blame my lack of skill on age... it's just something about that battle system that I cannot feel "good" at. At all. I used to dominate FF games... had a huge item stock throughout the game of ethers, hi-potions, elixirs etc as I got them. Not this time... I feel underequipped always too because I use so many resources just to try to friggin stay alive.

Amazing... I mean AMAZING game; it's just oil and water with me and the battle system.

I sorta felt this way about FF15's battle system, it just did not jive with me at all. First FF ever that bored me. At least it looked INCREDIBLE (and was the first game I played on an OLED with HDR).

FF7R I got into more than FF15 once I figured it out. It's all about staggering.

I was one of the 10 people who really loved the FF13 games so that prepared me for FF7R.

If all else fails you can change it to Easy at any time and just do the rest, no need to start over.

• 1Pathetic

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I sorta felt this way about FF15's battle system, it just did not jive with me at all. First FF ever that bored me. At least it looked INCREDIBLE (and was the first game I played on an OLED with HDR).

FF7R I got into more than FF15 once I figured it out. It's all about staggering.

I was one of the 10 people who really loved the FF13 games so that prepared me for FF7R.

If all else fails you can change it to Easy at any time and just do the rest, no need to start over.
Fucking ffxv combat was fun for like ten hours then it was just god damned boring. Got so tired of warping all over the place. And anywhere with camera issues like a dungeon. FUUUUU. Losing a battle multiple times due to the gd camera made me quit in disgust.

Vorph

Fucking ffxv combat was fun for like ten hours then it was just god damned boring. Got so tired of warping all over the place. And anywhere with camera issues like a dungeon. FUUUUU. Losing a battle multiple times due to the gd camera made me quit in disgust.
Also, the worst magic system in the history of videogames.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

XV or VIII?
XV hands down, due to there being friendly fire on top of all the other garbage aspects of the system. (I know there's an accessory, but it was mostly broken when I played the game, and even if that bug is fixed having to lose an item slot to counter a retarded mechanic is still terrible.)

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
XV didn't have a finished magic system, they had to put one together for Comrades which was better but highlighted how the base game was only partially done and why you had to warp warp warp all the god damn time.

I don't mind VII Remake's magic but it felt too forced with the Hard mode disallowing items and having to manage MP without Ethers.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I honestly don’t even remember FFXV’s magic system. The game was so forgettable.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
XV didn't have a finished magic system, they had to put one together for Comrades which was better but highlighted how the base game was only partially done and why you had to warp warp warp all the god damn time.

I don't mind VII Remake's magic but it felt too forced with the Hard mode disallowing items and having to manage MP without Ethers.

FFXV was super unfinished. The final world map is like 15% of the original world map that they unveiled during development. The crazy thing is that a lot of the other 85% of the map exists if you boundary break, it just isn't populated with anything so it's barren terrain. Either way it's clear they had huge plans for the game and weren't able to meet them. The last third / five chapters are practically on-rails like Xenogears Disc 2, rushing you through areas to get to the conclusion. The World of Ruin felt like it should have been a huge part of the game and instead it was like 20 minutes of gameplay.

1638209711151.png

Here's the early development world map. Only the lower right quadrant actually got fleshed-out in the game, rest is only seen briefly on train trips and I don't think you even go to Solheim at all. Not having an explorable Tenebrae, Solheim, and Niflheim were such missed opportunities, as was traveling through any of Accordo rather than just warping to Altissia.

For a point of reference, when I was playing through the first 10 chapters in Lucis, I thought that area was like the first quarter or fifth of the game. Turns out that area IS the game, outside of the brief "greatest hits" version of a few other places you get towards the end.

Last edited:

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
The only thing I remember from FFXV is going into a mine at like level 5 and standing afk on some boxes so I couldn't get hit with my auto attack on to kill a level 50+ samurai guy. I assume it took hours.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The only thing I remember from FFXV is going into a mine at like level 5 and standing afk on some boxes so I couldn't get hit with my auto attack on to kill a level 50+ samurai guy. I assume it took hours.

The only thing I remember is holding down X to spam attack for the entire game, stopping occasionally to use a potion.

I'd like to give it another shot now that it has all of its DLC out. However I want to replay like 80% of the FF series and 15 is pretty much at the back of the line both chronologically and in enjoyable-ness. Maybe I'll just replay the entire series in a year or two, I'm due for that. Did entire series playthroughs in 2001-2002 (1-10) and 2008-2011 (1-13 plus X2 and 4-AY).

• 1Like