Final Fantasy VII Remake

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Any final fantasy game that you can't one shot a level 30 monster at 99 with your weapon is shitty. I killed the turtle/mountain uber boss, found the king weapons and other than making those weird cactuar farming magic pots don't think I ever used the magic combine function because it was equally dumb.

At a certain point you should have been able to run over mobs with your car too, that would have been fun. GTA: Final Fantasy

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
FFXV was super unfinished. The final world map is like 15% of the original world map that they unveiled during development. The crazy thing is that a lot of the other 85% of the map exists if you boundary break, it just isn't populated with anything so it's barren terrain. Either way it's clear they had huge plans for the game and weren't able to meet them. The last third / five chapters are practically on-rails like Xenogears Disc 2, rushing you through areas to get to the conclusion. The World of Ruin felt like it should have been a huge part of the game and instead it was like 20 minutes of gameplay.

View attachment 384978
Here's the early development world map. Only the lower right quadrant actually got fleshed-out in the game, rest is only seen briefly on train trips and I don't think you even go to Solheim at all. Not having an explorable Tenebrae, Solheim, and Niflheim were such missed opportunities, as was traveling through any of Accordo rather than just warping to Altissia.

For a point of reference, when I was playing through the first 10 chapters in Lucis, I thought that area was like the first quarter or fifth of the game. Turns out that area IS the game, outside of the brief "greatest hits" version of a few other places you get towards the end.
It was super unfinished cause it was dev hell shit, they restarted a bunch of things several times and they kinda scrapped together a game eventually with that. Scope was way too big originally and they had no idea what they were doing most likely.

This is why I have more confidence in XVI, Yoshida is a guy who's experienced with meeting actual deadlines and has been for years now. Yeah here and there he had to slip a few months(even just recently the 2weeks delay) but he still knows where to cut shit and what to keep to make a finished product. The game will likely be way less ambitious than the original XV plans, but it will also release in a timely fashion.

With that said, I personally still liked XV. It had many issues and felt very unpolished/unfinished, but I really liked the way the story went overall. The obnoxious chars somewhat grew on me over time and the ending was pretty emotional. Combat was certainly average/boring and generally difficulty was way too easy imo. 7R did a much better job with that(at least on Hard, Normal I found way too easy too, items are basically too strong). I'd rate XV higher than XIII and the sequels for sure, and personally probably higher than XII too for which I could never really get into the story with the fucking dumbass duo of main chars, and I guess VIII cause I never finished that one. Lower than the rest though, by a fair margin, like there's a gap between old school+VII+X and XII+. Still haven't played IX so can't say much about that but I hear it's nice, I should get it going now that there's the AI enhanced graphic version, pretty sure I even bought it on sale already.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
FF15 has Ifrit as the final boss right? So you play an entire game to be the equal of Squall revising for his final exam.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
The only thing I remember is holding down X to spam attack for the entire game, stopping occasionally to use a potion.

I'd like to give it another shot now that it has all of its DLC out. However I want to replay like 80% of the FF series and 15 is pretty much at the back of the line both chronologically and in enjoyable-ness. Maybe I'll just replay the entire series in a year or two, I'm due for that. Did entire series playthroughs in 2001-2002 (1-10) and 2008-2011 (1-13 plus X2 and 4-AY).

The only FF game I've replayed a few times out of era is FFVI/III and the only one I've not beaten is FFXV though anything from X onwards (MMOs excluded) were kind of bland/boring imo. Too often when I revisit older games I realize how bad they are for modern times and I'd rather stick with the old timey nostalgia than ruin my childhood =D

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
FF15 has Ifrit as the final boss right? So you play an entire game to be the equal of Squall revising for his final exam.

Ifrit is the second to last boss, right at the end though. The villain of the game is right after that. He's a good villain at least, up there with Kefka and Sephiroth. I just wish he had a better game to work with.

Before 15 came out, I got super absorbed in the supplemental lore like the movie and the sidegames. That world had some terrific lore...that they did very little with overall.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
These people are the next blizzard.
I think it's the other way around, Square Enix already had their reckoning for being shit with Final Fantasy 12-15 all being unfinished production hell messes.

Yoshi-P is dragging them out of the abyss.

The difference is that Final Fantasy fucked up after 10 games over more than a decade with unconnected games.

Blizzard is fucking up their IPs sometimes on the second game (Starcraft) and the games in each IP are connected, so you can permanently damage the stories (and they have).

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
These people are the next blizzard.
Nah. Square already went through a really bad phase and got through it. They owned up to it and fixed a lot of problems. They had a long period of development hell games and shitty half finished products, but they’re not a fundamentally broken company void of any talent like Blizzard. Blizzard is doubling down on terrible hiring, pushing more DEI initiatives, councils, etc. that’s going to make things continue to get worse than they already are.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Just realized, for some weird reason Ifrit is also elevated in status in FF7R. You fight Shiva fairly early and Ramuh is a DLC boss, while Ifrit is one of the optional superbosses in the postgame. Back in the day he was usually the first of the 3 you got, or at most was on the same level as Shiva and Ramuh. Now he's suddenly as important as Bahamut in these games.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think it's the other way around, Square Enix already had their reckoning for being shit with Final Fantasy 12-15 all being unfinished production hell messes.

Yoshi-P is dragging them out of the abyss.

The difference is that Final Fantasy fucked up after 10 games over more than a decade with unconnected games.

Blizzard is fucking up their IPs sometimes on the second game (Starcraft) and the games in each IP are connected, so you can permanently damage the stories (and they have).

12 was still a decent game. Just different. If people can like 8, people can like 12. I refuse to accept 13 as a good FF game.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Seriously?

joz123

Potato del Grande
Didn't play either sequel, have heard they are better, if a little too much "LIGHTNING IS THE SHIT" in the 3rd game.
Definitely play 13-2. The battles were faster paced, doesn't take 10 seconds to switch paradigms and being able to choose where you want to go in the timeline was great. Monster recruiting was the best part.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
12 was still a decent game. Just different. If people can like 8, people can like 12. I refuse to accept 13 as a good FF game.
Yeah but it isn't finished because of the multiple story rewrites it got, the end boss is extremely underwhelming for one of these games.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Just realized, for some weird reason Ifrit is also elevated in status in FF7R. You fight Shiva fairly early and Ramuh is a DLC boss, while Ifrit is one of the optional superbosses in the postgame. Back in the day he was usually the first of the 3 you got, or at most was on the same level as Shiva and Ramuh. Now he's suddenly as important as Bahamut in these games.
This illustrates my point in my previous post perfectly about the differences between blizzard and square. Their form of equity and inclusion is making sure Ifrit is included at the higher tier of the summoning food chain.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Final Fantasy 13 was the one on rails that featured a black dude with a fro right?

Terrible game.

Enjoying my first playtrhough of 7 rm on ps5. Combat system is better than I expected and the feel of the game is perfect.

Its so good actually that you start to get bummed when you realize the actual game itself wont be done for another 6 years at the minimum.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm concerned that it's memberberries and FF games going forward will have increasing importance placed on the summons.

So FF16 having Shiva and Ifrit be important gives me cause for concern.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm concerned that it's memberberries and FF games going forward will have increasing importance placed on the summons.

I don’t really care if they can do a cool story with it like the espers in FFVI. If they do it for no reason like lol ifrit and shiva are the last boss out of nowhere than yeah, dumb.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

In fighting him, true, but isn't he the first summon you get if you don't have the pre-order / deluxe ones? Pretty sure FF7 remake gives you him as a summon as quickly as the original. You don't even have to fight him to get him unlike most other summons, Jessie just gives him to you. I certainly never felt he had any elevated status compared to the original, just figured they used him as padding to the fights.

Fadaar

That guy

8, 9, 10, 15 all focused heavily on the summons for the story. Not sure about 13 cause I never really played it. 12 didn't really focus on them at all especially since it wasn't the usual lineup.