Final Fantasy VII Remake

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Zack was named in the FF7 game? I know the Cloud reveal exists, but I do not recall anything about a Zack.

My GenX brain could very well have forgotten.

You've definitely forgotten. When Cloud finally "fixes" his mind, he names Zack when they unravel his real memories of the trip back to Nibelheim. You also can see a cutscene/history of what happened after the confrontation with Sephiroth as Hojo experiments on both Cloud and Zack in the Shinra basement. You can find clues to this on the tanks in the Shinra basement on the first trip there, and get access to the cutscene late in the game if you go back. This lets you see their escape, and briefly see Zack's death scene...which Crisis Core then expanded on greatly.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
He is the main protagonist from Crisis Core and the one who knows Aerith first (he is the one who told her to sell flowers). He dies in Crisis Core and Cloud steals his background/identity.

Zack was the actual SOLDIER that Cloud went on some excursions with. His fucked up memories of himself being a badass SOLDIER were actually him thinking that he was Zack.

This whole aspect of FF7, and Cloud's amnesia, were never parts of the story that interested me at all.

Also if Cloud's just a poser, how is he so powerful/skilled? He goes from being a timid Shinra Security Guard with a rifle to being a Buster Sword mastering superhero by sheer force of will?

Unless the Mako bath Hojo put him in at the end of CC also gave him some powers, akin to what SOLDIER members actually have. That would kinda make sense. Not sure it's ever explicitly stated, though.

Would have rather the story just been that Cloud worked hard and eventually rose to the rank of SOLDIER so that he could be like Zack. Emulated him, patterned himself after him, used his weapon. That's all fine. First time I played, this is what I thought happened. He assumed Zack's identity and worked his way up to SOLDIER 1st Class himself like his hero did. But nope, he just pretended to be this other guy. I guess with the mako factored in, this kinda works as a story. Just find it less interesting.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
You've definitely forgotten. When Cloud finally "fixes" his mind, he names Zack when they unravel his real memories of the trip back to Nibelheim. You also can see a cutscene/history of what happened after the confrontation with Sephiroth as Hojo experiments on both Cloud and Zack in the Shinra basement. You can find clues to this on the tanks in the Shinra basement on the first trip there, and get access to the cutscene late in the game if you go back. This lets you see their escape, and briefly see Zack's death scene...which Crisis Core then expanded on greatly.

You know, it's kind of ironic that Seananigans Seananigans completely forgot about the existence of Zack and has to see a flashback scene to try and remember where he fit into everything.

/Cloud amnesia flashback music plays

• 2Like
  • 2Worf

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
You know, it's kind of ironic that Seananigans Seananigans completely forgot about the existence of Zack and has to see a flashback scene to try and remember where he fit into everything.

/Cloud amnesia flashback music plays

I'm realizing FF7 was not as memorable as adolescent me had thought. FF4 and 6 much more so.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm realizing FF7 was not as memorable as adolescent me had thought. FF4 and 6 much more so.

Those are a lot more memorable yeah. So are 9, 10. We just thought 7 and 8 were badass and keww because they had the adult characters/themes and cool (to a teenager) main dudes.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I also played through 4 and 6 many many times because they came out before I had a car and job. They also aged very well so I still replay them from time to time as an adult.

FF7 was awesome at the time but it came out when I was 17. I had a car, a job, a girlfriend, more friends, more hobbies, etc. I think I’ve only fully played through it twice in my entire life. It didn’t age well. I did play through most of it a couple years ago with a graphics mod, and it was fun but just didn’t hold my attention enough to finish it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Those are a lot more memorable yeah. So are 9, 10. We just thought 7 and 8 were badass and keww because they had the adult characters/themes and cool (to a teenager) main dudes.

Probably depends on ages played at, and how into games one was. Granted I go back to FF1 on the NES, but 7 still most memorable experience for me. 6 second most so, after that probably 10 and 4. Replayed the heck out of all of those games 10+ times each.

Liked 9, but have only replayed it two or 3 times over the years, never liked 8 at all. Also really liked 5 a lot, but I didn't play that until way later on.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Also if Cloud's just a poser, how is he so powerful/skilled? He goes from being a timid Shinra Security Guard with a rifle to being a Buster Sword mastering superhero by sheer force of will?

Would have rather the story just been that Cloud worked hard and eventually rose to the rank of SOLDIER so that he could be like Zack.
Cloud has some super powers from the JENOVA cells and Mako bath, which is what SOLDIERs have anyway.

But he does work hard and goes from a glorified security guard to superhero over the events of a side game called Final Fantasy 7, the player of that game levels him up. Not sure if it's canon anymore though.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rude

Potato del Grande
plz no bunch of alternate timelines or multiverse stuff

plz.
Sounds like from what Merrith Merrith said, Maximilian Dude still copes on a full retard level with FF7 remake. I'm pretty sure the main cast could be on a conveyer belt taking turns shitting in his mouth and he'll continue shilling as the pinnacle of the gaming experience.

That being said, the best parts about final fantasy 4 and 6 are that neither game have had Nomura taint them with his retardation.

Merrith

Sounds like from what Merrith Merrith said, Maximilian Dude still copes on a full retard level with FF7 remake. I'm pretty sure the main cast could be on a conveyer belt taking turns shitting in his mouth and he'll continue shilling as the pinnacle of the gaming experience.

That being said, the best parts about final fantasy 4 and 6 are that neither game have had Nomura taint them with his retardation.

Pretty sure Nomura isn't the director for Remake anymore, but I know certain people and/or Kingdom Hearts fans who feel wronged by that franchise can't help but bring his name up constantly. Honestly Max has been right about a lot of what has ended up happening and his theory makes the most sense for what we've seen so far. Granted, I'm sure they are purposing trying to keep things semi vague and misleading in trailers to have all the discussion and (in their minds at least) mystery over what is actually going to happen.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Cloud has some super powers from the JENOVA cells and Mako bath, which is what SOLDIERs have anyway.

But he does work hard and goes from a glorified security guard to superhero over the events of a side game called Final Fantasy 7, the player of that game levels him up. Not sure if it's canon anymore though.
no, soldiers have only mako

cloud has mako and jenova cells cuz hojo experimented on the nibelheim survivors

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
I did a no saves in one sitting play through of OG FF7 which was an electric way to play the game. Finished in slightly less than 12 hours by my best recollection. added a whole new layer of depth.

im too autistic to play ff8 because i just min/max relentlessly.

ff4/ff6/tactics are pretty MVP

• 3Like
  • 1Worf

Siliconemelons

yea it was in that area where cloud was in a wheelchair

In the context of FF7 alone, those events are okay, and I guess plausible- still a bit on the nose to have so many people survive getting stabbed by various weapons and various people- 3 of them getting stabbed by Sepheroth the highest soldier and most successful experiment there is.

Then you add in Crisis Core, a game I actually liked btw, and it makes is /very/ absurd - as it shows how insanely powerful and nigh-godlike the 3 experiments are.... before the reactor incident. Cloud and even Zack would be of little effort to off. In FF7 alone we are given the excuse and reason is after the reactor they get experimented on and that gives them powers, plus Cloud falling into the mako/lifestream also makes him more powerful- just as it did Sepheroth... or if you feel that "killed" Sepheroth, then the psuedo Sepheroth/Jenovah fusion creature...

I also do not buy that Sepheroth was so enamored/enthralled/distracted by being with Jenovah that he completely did not notice cloud walking on up behind him to give him a ye ol buster sword backstab or something.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I did a no saves in one sitting play through of OG FF7 which was an electric way to play the game. Finished in slightly less than 12 hours by my best recollection. added a whole new layer of depth.

im too autistic to play ff8 because i just min/max relentlessly.

ff4/ff6/tactics are pretty MVP

Closest thing I did was a "no upgrading equipment" run of FF7. Also no abnormal stops to grind exp to compensate, could only do my normal level of fighting battles as I went. Very limited on materia slots to say the least. Characters I got later were automatically way better due to having better equipment, like Cid and Vincent. Well, mainly Cid. Game got tougher and tougher as it went on. But still never really got super tough.

Got to the Temple of the Ancients swinging only a Buster Sword before I hit a boss I couldn't beat, Demon Wall and its DPS check. The fact that I got that far (nearly at the end of Disc 1) is pretty surprising. I don't think there's any other FF where you could get like halfway through the game using only starting equipment without level grinding. Maybe 8 since 8 is so damn wonky.

On the flipside, it'd be a fun challenge to reverse this and do a low level playthrough where you can't fight any more than required battles, but could change equipment. Might get tedious to have to run all the time though.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
It was like the second most pivotal point in the first game after Aeriths death. He has a mental breakdown and it’s revealed he’s not who he thought he was the entire time, it’s just been too long and your boomer brain forgot.
The double fake out of:

“Cloud realizes he never was in SOLDIER and was making up his memory of being there when Nibelheim was destroyed.”

“Oh, he WAS there when it happened, he just couldn’t accept that he was a lowly infantryman and subconsciously made himself into Zack.”

Is one of my favorite plot twists in RPGs.

Anyways
IMG_5454.jpeg

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Hope the modders keep it nothing less than classic and cause a large meltdown from the cat blogs