Final Fantasy VII Remake

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Having a PS5 save file awards a Leviathan materia, PS5 Intergrade save also nets you Ramuh.

I don't remember how summons worked in the first one, or know how any carry-over works, but Leviathan is generally an endgame summon. Hopefully they aren't giving you something that breaks the game. That's kind of cool though. Ramuh always looks bad-ass.

spronk

FPS noob
Final Fantasy VII Remake showed the story up until the escape from Midgar, but what point does Final Fantasy VII Rebirth take us up to?

Nomura: We have mentioned this a few times before, but the order in which you can explore the locations is not the same as the original Final Fantasy VII, and there are some shifts in the order. For example, Wutai, one of the major locations, is not part of the route in Final Fantasy VII Rebirth and will be visited in the next one. Although there are some changes in the order of the locations, the locations depicted in this title extend up to "The Forgotten Capital," where the greatest fate of Final Fantasy VII awaits you.

so part 2 ends with Forgotten Capital and part 3 will go to Wutai

I really liked FF7R a lot, thought the story, characters, settings, everything was great. Wasn't a fan of intergrade, felt like an obvious money grab with very little new under the hood. Hopefully part 2 is big and interesting.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
so part 2 ends with Forgotten Capital and part 3 will go to Wutai

I really liked FF7R a lot, thought the story, characters, settings, everything was great. Wasn't a fan of intergrade, felt like an obvious money grab with very little new under the hood. Hopefully part 2 is big and interesting.

Wutai was an optional area in the original game if I remember right. I'd say optional areas are probably not going to be included in this one at all. While it wasn't an optional area, I wouldn't be surprised if Cid/Rocket Town aren't even in this and are saved for part 3, with Vincent being the Red-like CPU character for the endgame. Or maybe Cid will be the subject of the next Intergrade, like Yuffie. Who knows at this point.

Edit: Read an interview with Nomura:

"Although there are some changes in the order of the locations, the locations depicted in [Rebirth] extend up to ‘The Forgotten Capital,’ where the greatest fate of Final Fantasy VII awaits you"

It's all of Disc 1, great.

"There are characters who are accompanying members in Final Fantasy VII Rebirth that will become official party members in the next title."

I would guess that's Cid and Vincent. Cid doesn't do much until you get the airship anyways.

Interesting. I didn't see anything in the trailer with Cid/Rocket Town or beyond that. I think Nibelheim (Vincent) is the furthest thing the trailer shows?

Too bad no airship until 3, but at least we get chocobo flight here.

What I'm wondering is how airship flight will even work in 3, since you'll need to also fly over the game world of 2. Unless all of 2's game world is going to be included in 3, even areas that aren't being used. Maybe 2 will have the entire world in it so 3 will just reuse that with new scenario data.

I used to know how all this stuff worked. In the original game every disc had the entire world on it, IIRC, with different scenario data and FMVs.

The first game being all Midgar meant it could be totally separate from a sequel, since that area isn't accessible once you leave. They might have to do some gymnastics with programming 2 and 3 though. Unless they remove flight entirely from 3 and it's something new.

Worst case scenario, the third game will be some sort of "merged timeline" and go off in a completely different direction and FF7 will never actually be remade beyond the end of disc 1.

Looking forward to Zack and Sephiroth teaming up to fight the REAL threat to the planet, Genesis, in part 3 after Cloud sacrifices himself to save Aerith or something. I mean I fully expect this trilogy to fly completely off the rails. Either way I'll play part 2 day one because the memberberries are real.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Wutai was an optional area in the original game if I remember right. I'd say optional areas are probably not going to be included in this one at all. While it wasn't an optional area, I wouldn't be surprised if Cid/Rocket Town aren't even in this and are saved for part 3, with Vincent being the Red-like CPU character for the endgame. Or maybe Cid will be the subject of the next Intergrade, like Yuffie. Who knows at this point.

Interesting. I didn't see anything in the trailer with Cid/Rocket Town or beyond that. I think Nibelheim (Vincent) is the furthest thing the trailer shows?

Too bad no airship until 3, but at least we get chocobo flight here.

What I'm wondering is how airship flight will even work in 3, since you'll need to also fly over the game world of 2. Unless all of 2's game world is going to be included in 3, even areas that aren't being used. Maybe 2 will have the entire world in it so 3 will just reuse that with new scenario data.

I used to know how all this stuff worked. In the original game every disc had the entire world on it, IIRC, with different scenario data and FMVs.

The first game being all Midgar meant it could be totally separate from a sequel, since that area isn't accessible once you leave. They might have to do some gymnastics with programming 2 and 3 though. Unless they remove flight entirely from 3 and it's something new.

Worst case scenario, the third game will be some sort of "merged timeline" and go off in a completely different direction and FF7 will never actually be remade beyond the end of disc 1.

Looking forward to Zack and Sephiroth teaming up to fight the REAL threat to the planet, Genesis, in part 3 after Cloud sacrifices himself to save Aerith or something. I mean I fully expect this trilogy to fly completely off the rails. Either way I'll play part 2 day one because the memberberries are real.
Mideel Clinc is in the trailer which is just before Temple of the Ancients, it's actually optional on Disc 1 and is a major location for Cloud's coma on Disc 2.

But yeah no Cid or Rocket Town in the trailer.

They could skip the entire Tiny Bronco section (since it's main feature is going to Wutai and river/ocean travel on the world map), and have you just go back to Gold Saucer right away.

Cid doesn't do anything until Disc 2 anyway so he could just show up on the Airship at Northern Crater since Rufus takes it there.

Then they can have all his stuff in the third game. That would be fine.

• 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They do show Tifa at one point (possibly in the LIfestream or maybe not) with Red XIII giving her a description of the "Weapons"...which we don't see any of until the Northern Crater when Cloud gives Sephiroth the Black Materia in the OG. That's way past Rocket Town, but with them talking about visiting places in a slightly different order, they could change up at what point we go to Rocket town and meet Cid.

Chris

Potato del Grande
They do show Tifa at one point (possibly in the LIfestream or maybe not) with Red XIII giving her a description of the "Weapons"...which we don't see any of until the Northern Crater when Cloud gives Sephiroth the Black Materia in the OG. That's way past Rocket Town, but with them talking about visiting places in a slightly different order, they could change up at what point we go to Rocket town and meet Cid.
Doesn’t Diamond Weapon or something show up way earlier than the other two?
It's a vision of Weapon from the Cosmo Canyon planetarium.

In the original all five (three in Japan) appear at same time and Diamond is the last one you can encounter - although realistically you won't do the two optional ones until last.

Fadaar

That guy

In the original all five (three in Japan) appear at same time and Diamond is the last one you can encounter - although realistically you won't do the two optional ones until last.

Had to go look up wtf the 5th was, totally forgot about Sapphire

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Assuming it is in the Cosmo Canyon planetarium, I don't recall actually having a vision of the Weapon there in the OG, although it's been a while since last replay.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It wouldn't hurt to have a weapon explanation/primer there, as they kinda came out of left field and were a WTF moment

Siliconemelons

I always found it amusing that the weapons really should be on 'our side' but well, some people we like may get hurt so screw em.

Also 'the planet can't defend itself! We have to!' well it can but no, we good we got this

joz123

Potato del Grande
The whole point of the weapons were to be built to protect the planet. So they sense Sephy is readying Meteor and they wake up, but can't get to him because of the barrier so they go crazy and target other areas of the planet.

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

Didn't they attack midgar and juron? Two of the largest shinra installations that would be a valid target to stop the sucking the planet dry happenings?

• 2Like

joz123

Potato del Grande
Didn't they attack midgar and juron? Two of the largest shinra installations that would be a valid target to stop the sucking the planet dry happenings?
Well See Neil Flynn GIF by ABC Network

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Had to go look up wtf the 5th was, totally forgot about Sapphire

Yeah, Sapphire Weapon dies in cutscene when it takes a Junon Cannon to the face. Then it sinks under the ocean. First time I played the game I assumed it was Emerald Weapon (hence why you find it swimming around the seafloor) but nope, different one entirely.

They should add Sapphire Weapon back in as an uberboss in one of these remakes so we can see what it was all about. Would be easy enough to have it resurface somewhere.

I know one of the expanded universe games also had a Jade Weapon as an uberboss. Before Crisis, maybe? Dunno. Not sure if Jade is even canon.

Sapphire Weapon is definitely canon. Because it...got shot...I'll see myself out.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
I think that Tifa comes off as the sluttier more experienced one while Aeris is the innocent one in terms of how they dress and what their jobs are on the surface, but actually it's the opposite and that's why this lesbian dynamic works so well.

Tifa is an adult migrant to Midgar from a likely conservative mountain town and has some trauma from being cut open (likely huge scar) and her town being burned down and everyone she knows dying. She's an emotional wreck radicalised into joining a terrorist faction and has a pathological need for Cloud's attention to the point of ignoring his lies about their past. There's a good chance that she's actually a virgin.

Aeris grew up in Midgar and had to survive the slums, that can't be easy even with a foster mother. She's been stalked by The Turks her whole life and is somehow dating elite military personnel like Zach. "The Ancients" and talking to the planet is some free spirt hippy shit. Also selling flowers in the theatre district... you kidding me? There's a good chance that she's actually a prostitute.

The voice actresses in the remake play into this with Tifa sounding more naive and Aeris more worldly.

So yeah, this could totally happen.
Take it easy, I think I already hear the opening chords of “Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman?” starting to play.

IMG_7393.jpeg