Final Fantasy VII Remake

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I went directly from the ending into hard mode ch. 1 with exp boost materia. Cloud went from 50-56 by the time I finished the Nibelheim flashback, lol.

Cool. What were the answers given? I'd love to know without reading massive reddit posts.

Do you have a specific question to ask? Not interested in playing a weird gotcha game.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Do you have a specific question to ask? Not interested in playing a weird gotcha game.
Well the game gave zero answers... you must have had some in mind to make that comment.

I've read reddit posts about alternate reality purgatories labelled with rainbow auras and different breeds of mascot dogs, so I understand what the foreshadowing is.

But really we don't know if Aerith is dead or where Zack was or what Sephrioth's new plan is.

We actually know LESS than the original because this time we don't even know whats going on with Wutai.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
It's not about how much we knew in the original in this point, they're obviously different. It's about how much we can deduce about this story and where it's probably going to go, which feels obvious. Sephiroth had a whole ass anime style exposition monologue explaining their current situation and his plan. Isn't Wutai completely optional in the original? You could play through the whole game and know nothing about it.

His plan is literally to merge all the timelines into one and lord over them. Same plan as the original but multiversal rather than planetary. Aerith is dead but still working through the Lifestream as some sort of force ghost. She dies in every timeline eventually, Sephiroth always finds her. Cloud can see her, the rift in the sky, etc. probably because he is the only person that got sucked into the multiverse planetary core at the end and had his eyes "opened" to the truth like Edward in FMA. Aerith and Sephiroth are both using Cloud in an attempt to stop the other. The final chapter will have Aerith gathering the spirit troops in an effort to have Multiverse-Holy defeat Multiverse-Meteor in the same way a single timeline was saved.

Last edited:
  • 1WTF
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

It's not about how much we knew in the original in this point, they're obviously different. It's about how much we can deduce about this story and where it's probably going to go, which feels obvious. Sephiroth had a whole ass anime style exposition monologue explaining their current situation and his plan.

His plan is literally to merge all the timelines into one and lord over them. Same plan as the original but multiversal rather than planetary. Aerith is dead but still working through the Lifestream as some sort of force ghost. She dies in every timeline eventually, Sephiroth always finds her. Cloud can see her, the rift in the sky, etc. probably because he is the only person that got sucked into the multiverse planetary core at the end and had his eyes "opened" to the truth like Edward in FMA. Aerith and Sephiroth are both using Cloud in an attempt to stop the other. The final chapter will have Aerith gathering the spirit troops in an effort to have Multiverse-Holy defeat Multiverse-Meteor in the same way a single timeline was saved.

All this insane convulsion to an original plot that was already convoluted…

I say…

IMG_0972.jpeg
IMG_0972.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
All this insane convulsion to an original plot that was already convoluted…

I'm sorry multiverse concepts are coming off as insanely convoluted after two decades of nothing but multiverse content in the mainstream. It's rough out here. I mean it's literally spelled out for you. Media literacy is dead.

• 1Slow
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

I'm sorry multiverse concepts are coming off as insanely convoluted after two decades of nothing but multiverse content in the mainstream. It's rough out here. I mean it's literally spelled out for you. Media literacy is dead.

it’s not done yet, I am sure it’s absurdity will hit 11 in the final 1/3 - and it’s not the concept of multiverse that in an of itself is convoluted

but this is all clear as day, spelled out and conveyed well with no need for any speculation , interpretations or hundreds of YouTube explanation videos or anyone even asking for a conversation about it or anything eh

• 1Solidarity

Lenas

Trump's Staff
but this is all clear as day, spelled out and conveyed well with no need for any speculation , interpretations or hundreds of YouTube explanation videos or anyone even asking for a conversation about it or anything eh

Speculation and theories are all well and good but to say we have no idea what's going on at this point is off base.

• 1Dislike

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think Cloud can be taken out of the main battle party once you beat the game and are going back through with chapter select. However he's always the lead character in the field no matter what, which is pretty lame for anyone hoping to have Tifa in the lead and look at her all the time instead, with her short shorts and tied shirt Costa outfit. Oh well.

GG! What was the toughest part? Any major grinds?

Considered going for it myself but decided to wait for playthrough 2, whenever that is. Would I be better off playing through with chapter select to get everything done, then doing Hard Mode, or could I double up and do everything in Hard Mode without it being a massive issue? The latter would be a lot faster but IDK how many trophies are worsened by Hard Mode. Might want to stay in normal mode to cap levels at least, cause I think I finished the game at 45 or so.

In the original Remake I capped everyone's levels (in the Shinra Tower garage area which has a ton of mobs) before I even started Hard Mode and it made HM a lot easier.

Yeah doing the 3 Brutal Chadley challenges that you can unlock even on first playthrough lets you level up the party to 70 (or near it) extremely quickly. Went from like 49 at start of Chapter 13 to 70 in a couple hours of clearing those.

Merrith

Finally beat the game and I don't see where most of the critiques are coming from regarding story. More answers than questions given, and even questionable elements of the end only boil down to one of a few options. We're more just guessing about how things are going to unfold. I thought it was done very well. I hope the final installment really hits the grandiosity of Act 3 in the original game and brings back all of the Weapons fully realized, etc.

Hard agree. Although I'm in the midst of theory diving on a few things, b/c there is some debate about some stuff. It's also crazy how many clips people are finding of easter egg stuff just hidden in background conversations throughout the game. Sometimes requires returning to old areas and exploring a little around towns.

Without getting too much into spoilers, there are some new story threads to tackle with stuff we already know will be in Part 3 (Wutai). Devs have already hinted at expanded airship travel much like OG. Obviously there's still good amount of the world to explore, and stuff like chocobo breeding/materia hunting, hidden Weapon fights, etc could leave a lot of meat to tackle in Part 3. Although with how big this game was, I no longer worry about the idea of them making a big enough game to cover it all.

I do think if they go for some crazy 2027 July 7th release date to celebrate 30th Anniversary of OG it might be rushed, though.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
TBH I feel like this game has a multiverse storyline that nobody really asked for.

I get it just fine but it's so played-out. Like they saw what Marvel was haphazardly building with Kang the Conqueror and decided to make their own version of it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Malakriss

Maximilian is doing another stream talking about his thoughts on the game and one detail that someone pointed out is all of the post-death stuff is removed from the credit scroll except for the very last "Goodbye" line. Gaps and blanks where the scenes should be, then the other end game scenes show up properly, but then more gaps for the final scenes.

Merrith

TBH I feel like this game has a multiverse storyline that nobody really asked for.

I get it just fine but it's so played-out. Like they saw what Marvel was haphazardly building with Kang the Conqueror and decided to make their own version of it.

Not saying anyone specifically asked for that, but I think plenty of people are up for it if it's done well. Also there's so many little details people are finding that make it obvious some of these story ideas have been in their heads for a long time before Marvel had any thoughts of a Multiverse. Stuff like On the way to a Smile, and the Lifestream White/Black stuff from almost two decades ago having little tie ins...there's just too much there to think they haven't had a plan for this.

• 1Moron

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think people are still confused that this game is a straight remaster of the original. Its not. It's literally a remaking or sequel to the original. The OG events happened and now Seph is trying for a do over to win this time with knowledge of how things play out. The man literally hunted down Aerith in every alternate universe to kill her early. She knows and outsmarts him giving Cloud a working version of Holy to take back with him since in the games' primary timeline Holy is busted. At the final fight Seph literally says that he has underestimated Aerith.

I really like the direction they are going.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Lenas Lenas you are posting fan theories and headcannons like that stuff is in the game.

They vaguely tell us it's multiverse via Sephrioth and hint at it a bit with Zach playing out a few different choices with Biggs. Anything else is you and others filling in gaps and that's dangerous because if you are wrong and it's shit you get the Last Jedi or LOST.

How do people even travel between universes?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I think people are still confused that this game is a straight remaster of the original. Its not. It's literally a remaking or sequel to the original. The OG events happened and now Seph is trying for a do over to win this time with knowledge of how things play out. The man literally hunted down Aerith in every alternate universe to kill her early. She knows and outsmarts him giving Cloud a working version of Holy to take back with him since in the games' primary timeline Holy is busted. At the final fight Seph literally says that he has underestimated Aerith.

I really like the direction they are going.

I like that idea too in the way it resembles Terminator (incidentally the Terminator Genisys series was going to be a multiverse arc if it had been made as planned). Seph hunting down Aerith in various timelines is a pretty interesting concept.

That brings me back to my biggest issue with the end of this game though.

They don't show Aerith's death, so a pivotal, emotional scene just becomes confusing. And then she's around for multiple scenes and even a BATTLE right after that, as a force ghost or figment of Cloud's imagination or whatever, and it's so over the top that it feels like she didn't actually die. When combined with not seeing it, it's all just confusing. I thought she survived for a couple minutes there. Basically they killed the emotional impact of the most important scene in the game by sanitizing it and then having her not actually leave.

• 1Like

BunkyChutt

Poet Warrior
No homo but Barrett is a truly stunning character model in this remake series. I play in 60fps on a 4K tv and he looks damn good to me! Impressed with them all and the voice acting. BBC Barrett gonna barry bae bae!!!!!

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
I like that idea too in the way it resembles Terminator (incidentally the Terminator Genisys series was going to be a multiverse arc if it had been made as planned). Seph hunting down Aerith in various timelines is a pretty interesting concept.

That brings me back to my biggest issue with the end of this game though.

They don't show Aerith's death, so a pivotal, emotional scene just becomes confusing. And then she's around for multiple scenes and even a BATTLE right after that, as a force ghost or figment of Cloud's imagination or whatever, and it's so over the top that it feels like she didn't actually die. When combined with not seeing it, it's all just confusing. I thought she survived for a couple minutes there. Basically they killed the emotional impact of the most important scene in the game by sanitizing it and then having her not actually leave.
I think its due to Cloud literally thinking he saved her. If we are looking through his eyes she's fine because Cloud is a crazy man. The reality is she actually did die, the rest of the cast are obviously fucked up over her death and Cloud seemingly doesn't care - again cause he's fucked in the head and thinks she's alive and sees/talks to her. I think what is going to happen is in the third game we are going to actually see it. Once Tifa unfucks reality for Cloud he's going to realize what actually has happened this whole time and we're gonna see her death in a flashback probably. Its perhaps not as heavy of a moment doing it that way but overall I think it plays better for the story to have all these moments rush back into his head that he's been clearly ignoring due to Sephs corruption and the black materia he's hiding.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I think its due to Cloud literally thinking he saved her. If we are looking through his eyes she's fine because Cloud is a crazy man. The reality is she actually did die, the rest of the cast are obviously fucked up over her death and Cloud seemingly doesn't care - again cause he's fucked in the head and thinks she's alive and sees/talks to her. I think what is going to happen is in the third game we are going to actually see it. Once Tifa unfucks reality for Cloud he's going to realize what actually has happened this whole time and we're gonna see her death in a flashback probably. Its perhaps not as heavy of a moment doing it that way but overall I think it plays better for the story to have all these moments rush back into his head that he's been clearly ignoring due to Sephs corruption and the black materia he's hiding.
Wow that convoluted mess is way better than

AerithDeath1.jpg

AerithDeath2.jpg

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, like, when I read all that I just go "But why?"

It seems like they basically just wimped out of showing something remotely graphic.

• 1Like

Merrith

Wow that convoluted mess is way better than

View attachment 523385
View attachment 523386

It can be, they're just sacrificing the now for the long game with the final part still to come.

They're clearly leaning even further into the Cloud being fucked in the head showing everyone else completely distraught over the loss of Aerith, while Cloud hasn't accepted it at all, because he's still seeing her around the party, and he's still totally fucked up semi/completely under Sephiroth's control. That clip Max got shown where literally every single cutscene in the game is in the end credits EXCEPT every scene where Cloud sees Aerith as not dead is so obviously intentional. Honestly kind of agree with the one theory that there is likely a "world" where Cloud did stop the blade, but it doesn't even matter because Aerith knows she needs to die and return to the lifestream for Holy to stop Meteor. Kinda hinted at when she says she'll pray as much as she can and will stop Meteor, while Cloud makes the promise that he will stop Sephiroth.

Honestly I found the promise/goodbye in the field as moving as dropping her into the water from the OG, but feels pretty obvious they're going to go very hard emotionally with Cloud when he has to finally accept not just Aerith's death, but Zack's, too. That's likely where we'll get the real big goodbye scene, although probably not be with her actual body at Forgotten City.

The other part to him still seeing/interacting with her from the Lifestream (which is something he does in the rest of the compilation) is that Seph/Jenova likely knows that after she came to fight with him, and will likely use it against him by appearing as her to help manipulate him further.

The only somewhat weird part/red herring to some of all that is Red XIII clearly reacting to her when he was sitting with Tifa while she was crying, and he even audibly said "Aerith!". Then again, Red has also seemed to be a little more in the know for what's going on than most both at end of Remake and during Rebirth, and he's also the only other one of the party who potentially has some Jenova cells within him like Cloud does.