Final Fantasy VII Remake

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The PS1 era of rereleases was mostly a bunch of half-assed money grabs, but going forward, most of the rereleases are worth it for the cleaned up dialogue alone, the little tidbits of extra gameplay they toss in just being a bonus. I love a good Woolseyism as much as the next Square enthusiast, but I can do without Son of a Submariner.

You Spoony Bard on the other hand, is a classic phrase, and ironically Woolsey didn't even work on FF4. I'm glad it survived the new translations when they cleaned up the rest of the dialogue, because it's totally a part of FF culture now. Spoony bard references in several Square titles.

Mass uh moon. I know it's mass ah moon eh(in canadian) but I still call it mass uh moon.

Also the redone CT cutscenes are great.
How did you get moon instead of myoon? Every instance of mune in the English language is pronounced myoon. MY JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah, it plays the new Toriyama cutscene, then it goes through the game engine scene.

Dialogue is so much better in the DS version too, dunno why you have a problem with Fiendlord. The DS speech is much better than

Also, how do y'all pronounce Masamune? I found my first Masamune at like 9 or 10 years old, so I've always pronounced it MASS ah myoon. Even once I learned the Japanese pronunciation, it never took and I still use my anglicized version.
For me? Ma-sa-moo-ne (as in net) - but I speak Japanese so.. yeah.

It's more fun because mune in Japanese means chest. Or on a woman, breasts.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm not a cat? Why would you pronounce the u if you are already replacing it with o's?

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Although mune on it's own does mean breasts, the kanji for the legendary name Masamune (??) actually means "True/Righteous Sect/Essence" - Kanji is always a bit ambiguous. There's several things it could mean really.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nevermind! All 5 words are pronounced myoon. No idea why I transliterated it as moon when I was a kid, then.

Though in my defense, all english words with -mune in them, have double m's before the u. Could very well be phonetically saying it out loud and not adding the m into the o's, hence no "y" sound being added in.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Commune, every variation of the word Immune including Premune apparently. Also Triune, Tribune, Lacune, and maybe Cohune if 'close front rounded vowel' means a Y sound. Those are just more examples of words ending une that are pronounced yoon and not oon.

Off the top of my head Munificence is an example of the mun letters pronounced myoon at the front of the word. Basically if we actually used alternate characters in English, I think all of the Us in these examples would have an umlaut.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This all goes out the window though because it's japanese and japanese people blur out genitals. They ain't right.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Japan is weird as shit (sorry Chysamere) on a lot of things. Our pronunciation of their words is probably pretty low on the weird-shit list.

ANYWAY.

FF3 when played on a nes emulator with an english patch is a pretty different experience from the DS version. With an upcoming 7 re-release with ostensibly updated graphics/systems, is it possible that the story we thought was FF7 was actually just shitty translating? I am honestly curious if that saga is something other than what the western audiences experienced.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well according to Chysamere I had the moon rune pronunciation wrong so we're about even.

Ma-sa-moo-ne (as in net)
I thought the last syllable was pronounced 'nay', which is how they pronounce Masamune in Samurai 7. I can't remember the last time I watched it in Japanese, so I assume the English voice actors just anglicized it to 'nay'. Sounds more Englishy that way.

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
Needs more Golden Saucer.

ukzRWed.jpg

I remember thinking how crystal clear and realistic those graphics were. Kids are stupid.
TV tech wasn't so good.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
low res cutscenes like that maybe looked better on older televsions vs. modern high-res displays. old TVs sort of had a natural blurring effect that smoothed out all those jagged pixel lines.

Fadaar

That guy
How was that posted on one website a month ago and not made news? Calling bullshit.

Edit: Yeah it's a joke site

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Eddie Izzard for Seph, with Gilbert Godfrey as Barret. Cid should definitely be played by DMX when he's in between prison sentences as well. Fran Drescher as Aeris, Yufi played by Brian Posehn, and Tifa done by Lisa Lampanelli with appropriate language.

Cait Sith portrayed by two bonobos pounding away, naturally, and Red XIII as read by Stephen Hawkings.

And of course, use the old script so it really meshes together.