Final Fantasy VII Remake

Quaid

Trump's Staff
rrr_img_119943.jpg

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Cross really needs a remake to finish telling its story that was likely cut, much like Xenogears final act. There is actually a ton of interesting storylines hidden in that game. This site has a lot of cool articles like this one.

Salt for the Dead Sea

Also recommend the fan sequel Crimson Echoes rom for snes. It does a good job tying the games together.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Didn't each of the 40ish characters have their own story line to some degree? There were some awesome ones (Emo musician + pirate dad + waking dream monster/black dragon things?) and others that made you want to vomit (Salt & Pepper). I remember a bunch of funny snippets of that that I can't tell if I'm actually remembering or just imagining.

Alien UFO mutant at the bottom of the ocean
Human version of Glenn + his trainer/ghost of his murderer?
End boss that requires you hit the fucker with 6 different elements to get the 'hidden ending'
Incredibly cool dragon FMV when they get released and rampage
Mutant talking shrubbery that hits things with a walking stick

Lots of bizarre shit in that game

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Didn't each of the 40ish characters have their own story line to some degree? There were some awesome ones (Emo musician + pirate dad + waking dream monster/black dragon things?) and others that made you want to vomit (Salt & Pepper). I remember a bunch of funny snippets of that that I can't tell if I'm actually remembering or just imagining.

Alien UFO mutant at the bottom of the ocean
Human version of Glenn + his trainer/ghost of his murderer?
End boss that requires you hit the fucker with 6 different elements to get the 'hidden ending'
Incredibly cool dragon FMV when they get released and rampage
Mutant talking shrubbery that hits things with a walking stick

Lots of bizarre shit in that game
iirc Fargo, Glenn, Karsh, Harle, Kid, and Riddel were the only ones out of the 45 characters that actually had any exposition beyond 'hey im this playable character im in your party now'. Cross was a great game, people were just expecting a sequel to Chrono Trigger which it was not. It damn sure wasn't as good as Trigger, but it's one of Square's better games.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Those were all cool things about 13, in my opinion. The two cool things about 8 were Triple Triad, and Odin getting raped trying to cut Seifer in half. Everything else about 8 was bad, in my opinion.
EXCUSE ME SIR HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE ONLY CONVINCING LOVE STORY IN THE MODERN AGE

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
StarOcean 2 was better than most of the FF games. I started with 7 so id say its just as good if not better and i think 7 is better than any FF since then as well.

FYI FF7 was my very first rpg afaik, but i played Chrono, Legend of Dragoon, Lagaia, and everything under the sun once FF7 ignited my desire to play RPGs

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I forgot there are people that started post ff7. My first rpg was phantasy star 1 when I was 5 years old. My dad had to explain the story as I went. I actually beat it somehow.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I started RPG pretty young too.

I learned english playing RPGs actually. Think the first game that had a decent amount of text I played was Zelda A link to the past. Before the SNES, I didn't play any games that had text really, only had a NES and played like Mario, Zelda and Megaman, but once I got a SNES, I started playing all these games with actual stories and shit. I think after that it was like, Soul Blazer and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, 2 kinda meh games but that's what really got me to learn english, more and more games that I enjoyed but that had a bunch of text. Interestingly, I didn't learn with a dictionary or anything, just purely from context, which is kinda weird when I think back. Secret of Mana later on.

But the game that really helped was FF6, it was so much more text heavy than the others and all the stories were interesting and intricate and there was more varied vocabulary and shit. By the time I was done with FF6, my english was actually pretty good, especially for someone my age(I think I was like, 10?). A few years later I learned how to speak "casual" english, once I got a PC and started playing UO. All the swearing and slang and stuff.

That's why in many ways 7 doesn't have nearly the same impact for me as 6. It came way after, I had already played many RPGs, including Chrono Trigger, and while 7 had these amazing CG cutscenes(I mean back then obviously), I didn't have that sense of attachment that developped from trying to understand everything based on the text, which was rendered even more necessary since it was pixel confusing stuff.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I forgot there are people that started post ff7. My first rpg was phantasy star 1 when I was 5 years old. My dad had to explain the story as I went. I actually beat it somehow.
Indeed. I played FF1 with friends and owned Dragon Warrior on the NES years ago, though I don't think I finished either back then. I remember reading the previews for FF2(4), saving my money and pooling $$ with my little bro to buy it. I played through it multiple times and still have the cartridge and SNES (which I also had to save up & buy) to this day.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
iirc Fargo, Glenn, Karsh, Harle, Kid, and Riddel were the only ones out of the 45 characters that actually had any exposition beyond 'hey im this playable character im in your party now'. Cross was a great game, people were just expecting a sequel to Chrono Trigger which it was not. It damn sure wasn't as good as Trigger, but it's one of Square's better games.
I agree. Cross was a good game in and of itself. It's just the worst possible way to build a sequel to the Chrono franchise. It has very little to do with what made Chrono Trigger good. The inference that all the main characters from the first game died unhappily irked me to no end.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
EXCUSE ME SIR HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE ONLY CONVINCING LOVE STORY IN THE MODERN AGE

They fell in love in an airship/spaceship shaped like a dragon sir, you sir should watch your tone. Falling in love inside a spaceship shaped like a dragon already makes it ahead of any other Video Game romance that has existed, and most classic literature.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
My first (and still one of my favorite) RPGs was Faxanadu. My first FF was 8 though, and I've never played 7. Should I be telling you guys this? Now I feel... unsafe.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
My first (and still one of my favorite) RPGs was Faxanadu. My first FF was 8 though, and I've never played 7. Should I be telling you guys this? Now I feel... unsafe.
JESUS FUCK!! GO KILL YOURSELF!!1

Sorry.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Indeed. I played FF1 with friends and owned Dragon Warrior on the NES years ago, though I don't think I finished either back then. I remember reading the previews for FF2(4), saving my money and pooling $$ with my little bro to buy it. I played through it multiple times and still have the cartridge and SNES (which I also had to save up & buy) to this day.
Dragon Warrior was awesome. Can still remember so much about that game like finally finding Edrick's Armor, the Gold Golems, the rest of the things that were series staples. Pretty sure my copy got ruined when I left the cart out in the rain one afternoon. Why I had an NES cart outside, no idea.

I did plenty of NES RPG but it seems like the PC had most of my time with the Police Quest, Kings Quest, Codename: Iceman, etc.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I remember being like 5 or 6 at the end of dragon warrior and picking the last choice for the last boss and the game just shutting off lol