Final Fantasy VII Remake

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The final anime cutscene was awesome though. As Krellian the real villain of the game totally wins and gets everything he wanted. He doesn't give a shit that you lived and doesn't care to kill you as he went to Heaven or something. The anime cutscene had him sprout angel wings so I always assumed he went to Heaven or Paradise or some nonsense.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Its been like 15 years since I played it but pretty much a spaceship crashes and seeds life on the planet it crashed on. There is one civ that has access to the old tech and secretly rules over the planet from the sky. The AI from the ship somewhat survived too and was up to some shit to repair itself (DNA fuckery turning people to mutants).

I guess the reincarnation/past memories causing personality issues and religious "what is god/existence" stuff put it a bit out there but i didnt feel it was anywhere near as crazy as stuff like FF12/13 got.

Edit: Ok TJTs explanation makes me question my stance, lol
FF12 doesn't get crazy. Nothing happens the whole game.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Finding out everything is controlled by invisible super aliens 2/3rds through the game was kinda crazy.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
That part is also completely glossed over in the game. It's one of the more "Lolwtf?" moments in somewhat recent gaming memory.
"Oh hey weird aliens are controlling our destinty but nobody gives a shit ok cool next dungeon."

• 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
@Lunis

I actually spent a lot of time discussing this with my friends back when I played this as a teenager. I recall this about the game.
  1. Humans in a colony ship crashlanded on the Xenogears planet in the distant past. This is why it has the cool dystopian setting... kinda.
  2. Ellie and Jan(whatever his name was, main character) have some kind of direct genetic relation to the original survivors of the crash.
  3. They reincarnate every so often and have done this through many civilizations that have risen and fallen.
  4. Mechs are weapons of choice but are generally relics of a bygone era. But they can keep making them, just not to the original quality.
  5. This is why Jan's crew gets super-mechs when they interact with the ancient anima-tech.
  6. Some people have also survived through the epochs and recognized that Elly and Jan reincarnate and they are important to... stuff
  7. The enemy behind everything is this guy. As he orchestrated absolutely everything to achieve his goal. Krellian was a pretty cool enemy.
  8. Krellian converted himself to nanomachines to become immortal and that guy Gan was a Jan from the distant past who was also immortal and insane.
  9. Something something Krellian triggers the apocalypse and shit and kills off a bunch of people and the immortal Cain who was the leader of technologically advanced humans and connected to machines. Krellian created that knight guy as a clone of cain just so he could kill Cain. As nobody else had the power to get close to him for some reason.
  10. World goes batshit
  11. You fight a machine called God in the ruins of the crashed colony ship
  12. ????????
  13. Game ends.

The reason japanese stories are like this is because of their preference for Aspect to Aspect storytelling. They don't really care about a linear story.

I remember unlocking the mini-mech fighting game as a kid and my mind being blown that there was a game in a game I could play with friends.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
There was never an FF past 7 for me. Just never liked what I saw.

My one pal in college was hardcore into the 11 one with multiplayer. I walked into his place and the entire floor was McDonalds bags and cups. The man was as deep into a pixel binge as I ever saw. Apparently his ninja tank required farming millions of gil or something.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
FFXI was a great MMO. It hit right when EQ was going to shit (after POP) and before WOW came out.

• 1Solidarity

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
FF4 Japanese version was my fave of all time in the series. FF6 was really awesome. Played the shit out of that. Same with Mystic Quest. It was fun even if it was easy.
FF7 though. It's in a class all it's own. Always will be.
I haven't owned a console since PS2.
Really makes me consider it.
What's it out on again?

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
FF4 Japanese version was my fave of all time in the series. FF6 was really awesome. Played the shit out of that. Same with Mystic Quest. It was fun even if it was easy.
FF7 though. It's in a class all it's own. Always will be.
I haven't owned a console since PS2.
Really makes me consider it.
What's it out on again?

Ah yes, Mystic Quest. I was real immersed when I got that claw and could grapple on the world map. That first bone/sand dungeon was pretty crazy too.

The combat music was great. I remember spamming that White spell too.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

joz123

Potato del Grande
Ah yes, Mystic Quest. I was real immersed when I got that claw and could grapple on the world map. That first bone/sand dungeon was pretty crazy too.

The combat music was great. I remember spamming that White spell too.
I just remember my game would freeze everytime in a certain spot at the ice level so I could never finish it.

Also FFV was obviously the best. What other game do you play as a dude named Bartz who has to destroy an evil tree that absorbs souls who is disguised as a wizard? Also Gilgamesh was awesome.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Man, I played this when I was a kid and didn't pick up on 90% of that. I just remember it had Anime cut scenes, cool 3d sprites/world and a fun combo combat system. And there was weird god stuff going on.

In my defense, I was a pretty dumb kid.

I remember the 30 minute anime cutscene before one of the final fights, that was quite difficult, was also unskippable. So you had to just go through the entire fucking thing every god damn time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rude

Potato del Grande
Xenogears was pretty great aside from Fei hanging out with us and giving an exposition from a chair for most of the second disc. Also the D-Block Sewers and Deus were the worst dungeons I can think I've ever played in any game. Still worth it to go through, though. Game'll never see a remaster, but at least you could buy it from the PSN (Not sure if this is still true or not ..). Xenosaga on the otherhand, that IP's in hell and will never see the light of day again.

• 1Like

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I remember the 30 minute anime cutscene before one of the final fights, that was quite difficult, was also unskippable. So you had to just go through the entire fucking thing every god damn time.

This is how I felt about the Calm flashback in 7, to the point where I'd make a save game on the memory card after completing that so on future play throughs I could just nope back that entire intro and start at the chocobo farm/snake in the swamp.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Curious to see how long it'll take them to release an eventual XVI. Rumors are they want Yoshida from XIV to be in charge of it, but I don't know how that would work with him so hardcore into XIV still (but maybe he has an endpoint planned out for XIV, though seems clear he has a plan up through another expansion after the current one, at least).

Caliane

Finding out everything is controlled by invisible super aliens 2/3rds through the game was kinda crazy.
literally every single Jrpg.

I wonder where that came/comes from. The pretty much ALL fucking do it. I think dragonquest is like the only one that is medieval fantasy, and stays that way. No "oh, aliens actually are controlling us. or, we are living in post apocalyptic future, with super advanced tech beneath our feet, or we are actually living in a generational spaceship"

by 1987 and the Nintendo, obviously Final fantasy was already doing this. And, Phantasy star on the genesis.

Is Wizardry to blame? When EXACTLY did Wizardry add the sci-fi elements? It was created in 1981. but, bane of the cosmic forge was 1990.

• 1Truth!

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think FF 6 was the only one that didn't have space aliens, 6 was probably one of the best mixes of magic/tech/steampunk as far as story goes. Don't think you can count espers living in a sealed area as aliens.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm not sure aliens are such a huge Final Fantasy theme?

There's Jenova in FF7 and the ones in the spaceship in FF8. That's it?

Godlike beings are a different thing.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
In 4 the main character's father was an alien from a traveling moon.

7 also had Aeris' people who went from planet to planet it to "heal" them

9 had an entire alien race trying to steal the souls of other planets

I never played 2, 3, or passed 9, but looking back and there's plenty of aliens