Final Fantasy VII Remake

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I'm fully aware that I might be throwing my money away on this one but I often buy JRPGs on hype. I'm just a complete JRPG whore. They are going to get my money on this one, and I'll eat crow if it sucks donkey balls.

With that said though, I do agree the average gamer is a fucking idiot. I don;'t think people on this forum realize how normal and smart we are.

Not to change your mind because I admire your JRPG passion and it's your dollar, but how many JRPG's do you have on back log right now? Or awesome one's you have missed that are on sale current gen? For me anyway, I have gotten to the point where if I am questioning a publisher/developer within my favorite go to genre, I find another game I haven't played for cheap and enjoy that to wait and see if it's a train wreck.

If you are like me, our back logs are so large right now (Some based on the hype we shared I am sure) that we should do a service to ourselves and our wallets and play those :)

For instance, I just played through Odyssey on sale for all content for 27 bucks. At the final boss of Ratchet and Clank (Hilarious game) for $10. And I am questioning why I buy games at launch. Not to say I won't ever not do that again. Cyperpunk, Last of us 2, are going to be day one purchases, but they have to be extra special with communication and nothing to hide. Seems here SE has everything to hide because as of 6 months ago the producer himself said they had no clue how many episodes would come. 6 months ago - no roadmap or overall business plan to where they will take it? That's ridiculous.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There's FF6 mod called Brave New World that reworks a ton of the mechanics of the game to make them less shit, stuff like Edgar tools in endgame, Cyan's Sword Tech, it makes Espers more limited for each character so you don't end up with everyone doing everything and obviously buff the bad espers, reworks monsters so you have less random encounters but they're more interesting, bosses have new strategies, reworked status effects, some of the story/translation and so on. It has multiple different version you can apply for different effects, looked pretty good. I downloaded it but haven't touched it, it's just something I figured maybe I'd do sometimes(like the FF9 AI-generated graphical improvements).

Sounds kind of interesting, although I really don't mind Espers being usable by everyone so you can customize every character to a degree. I don't think it's a big problem that Edgar is more of an early to mid game powerhouse but less effective in the endgame, either (at least with Tools). The Sword Tech just seems silly because it's just a bad idea. Even compared to Edgar's Tools or Sabin's blitz's what is the point of making you wait so long for the charge time on later abilities. Tools and Blitz have limits in that you need to reach certain points in the game to get certain items/can learn Bum Rush in WoR, which is fine...but you can use them nearly instantly when you have them. Sword Tech was just dumb and should have been thought out better.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Sounds kind of interesting, although I really don't mind Espers being usable by everyone so you can customize every character to a degree. I don't think it's a big problem that Edgar is more of an early to mid game powerhouse but less effective in the endgame, either (at least with Tools). The Sword Tech just seems silly because it's just a bad idea. Even compared to Edgar's Tools or Sabin's blitz's what is the point of making you wait so long for the charge time on later abilities. Tools and Blitz have limits in that you need to reach certain points in the game to get certain items/can learn Bum Rush in WoR, which is fine...but you can use them nearly instantly when you have them. Sword Tech was just dumb and should have been thought out better.
The problem of Espers for everyone is that you do not customize everyone, instead you just make cookie cutter builds that everyone uses, because you don't need to make anything else. Like Ultima spamming bullshit and whatever else haven't played in forever. By restricting the espers, each character gets its own custom set of spells that's flavored around their character theme. Tools are simply rescaled so they're still useful lategame which is nice as an option, doesn't mean they're as efficient as early game since at that point you'll also have strong magic and weapons, but they remain kinda useful. And sword tech not sure how they fix it but yeah in the original it was shit.

Anyway it looked like a nice mod to rediscover the game and give it a bunch of changes to help with the uneven balancing and stuff like that. Overall it made the game harder I believe I read, which if you're a fan is a good thing since the game got pretty easy once you knew what was good and what was garbage.

I'd definitely be interested in a modern remake of VI, but I'm not sure they'd invest the kind of money they did in VII anyway, while VI is a big fan favorite for many players, it doesn't have near close to the nostalgia reach that VII did. I'm not sure it'd sell that much. Same with Chrono Trigger. While I personally would put both of these games above VII, in terms of sales I'd easily admit they wouldn't sell near as much, so they wouldn't be worth spending a fuckton of money like they are with VII. If they could remake them with non shitty graphics, kinda like Octopath though, that'd be nice enough. None of this phone version smoothing garbage.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

I'd definitely be interested in a modern remake of VI, but I'm not sure they'd invest the kind of money they did in VII anyway, while VI is a big fan favorite for many players, it doesn't have near close to the nostalgia reach that VII did. I'm not sure it'd sell that much. Same with Chrono Trigger. While I personally would put both of these games above VII, in terms of sales I'd easily admit they wouldn't sell near as much, so they wouldn't be worth spending a fuckton of money like they are with VII. If they could remake them with non shitty graphics, kinda like Octopath though, that'd be nice enough. None of this phone version smoothing garbage.

It is a lot of money and development time. Obviously I'd play the shit out of a remake of VI or Chrono, too. I did like VII above both, but it's really splitting hairs where I can still replay any of the 3 today and enjoy it quite a bit. While I liked Octopath for what it was, I think if they're going to remake VI or Chrono they should go balls to the wall. Maybe if VII remake does extremely well they would consider it, I don't know.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I played the -shit- out of FFVI; FFVII? Once hardcore all the way through when it was still new-ish; bought the player's guide to see what I missed and it ended up not being worth the paper(I'm mildly OCD on figuring shit out; had KotR before the end of disk 2 without knowing that was a "thing," for example)

But I'd easily plow through a high quality remake of FFVI without even batting an eye.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
With preordering and DLC being what it is in today's console market (bleh) what's the best place to get this from?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
There is pre-order bonus DLC already. I wouldn't be surprised to see things like DLC to recruit Vincent & Yuffie in the later episodes. Probably something golden saucer related as well.

Some cosmetic crap would be fine, but taking out characters to repackage them as DLC when you're already charging $60 per episode would cause riots.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I played the -shit- out of FFVI; FFVII? Once hardcore all the way through when it was still new-ish; bought the player's guide to see what I missed and it ended up not being worth the paper(I'm mildly OCD on figuring shit out; had KotR before the end of disk 2 without knowing that was a "thing," for example)

But I'd easily plow through a high quality remake of FFVI without even batting an eye.
did you just randomly breed a gold chocobo?

• 2Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Some cosmetic crap would be fine, but taking out characters to repackage them as DLC when you're already charging $60 per episode would cause riots.

I would say $239 for a complete remake of a fucking 60 hour RPG from 1997 is enough to cause it's own riot.

If what Dom says happens, people would fucking burn down Tokyo.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There are ways re-releases can be a good thing for gamers.

First and foremost, the technology. If an awesome game was created in 1996, I think it's ok to re create it 20 years later on a next gen platform.

RE 2 is a great example. It's the same game, but it's not. They changed enough elements and added enough content to make it not only palatable, but enjoyable.

The problem here is the episodic content. Did square enix ever give an excuse as to why? I imagine they would say something like recreating such an expansive legacy rpg with all new graphics ect is just too arduous a process to do in one shot. Either way if the game itself is enjoyable, people will pay for the next installment if it's done right. If not, they are fucked. So I'm thinking they put a good deal of effort and care into this game.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think their bullshit PR excuse was so they could release it earlier instead of waiting for the whole thing to finish

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
There are ways re-releases can be a good thing for gamers.

First and foremost, the technology. If an awesome game was created in 1996, I think it's ok to re create it 20 years later on a next gen platform.

RE 2 is a great example. It's the same game, but it's not. They changed enough elements and added enough content to make it not only palatable, but enjoyable.

The problem here is the episodic content. Did square enix ever give an excuse as to why? I imagine they would say something like recreating such an expansive legacy rpg with all new graphics ect is just too arduous a process to do in one shot. Either way if the game itself is enjoyable, people will pay for the next installment if it's done right. If not, they are fucked. So I'm thinking they put a good deal of effort and care into this game.

Well, I can tell you my take. They farmed it out to a 3rd party, after 2 years they were sucking wind, SE took the assets and cobbled a game together best they could and turned the whole thing into an episodic release - which would be fine, if the entire game was being made available for $59.99. Instead, it isn't. They have had 3 years with this thing to create and use assets to band aid everything, but then have the balls to sell each one at $59.99 and spout out some "full game" bullshit. Yeah, 12 hours can be a full game if you actually look at action titles.

Pad the shit out of it with side content and fluff no one cares about and tack on a little side story and they think that will placate people.

Just keep in mind, these guys couldn't create more than a 50 hour game with FF15 after 10 damn years and 4 stop starts. They have had a B team on this for about 2 and a half.
Not to mention 6 months ago the producer admitted there wasn't even a road map for the second episode.

It's a joke. And unfortunately, it's going to sell like hot cakes and that should alarm everyone.

Malakriss

I think their bullshit PR excuse was so they could release it earlier instead of waiting for the whole thing to finish
Better than the Blizzard line of "We have so much content we need to split Starcraft 2 into a trilogy!" followed by "We have to cancel Starcraft Ghost" followed by "Pay us more money for Overwatch!"

• 2Like