Final Fantasy VII Remake

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
They made sequels to FFT, it was video game aids. Referee NPC in battles that would yellow/red card you for using x/y ability and shit.
Those don’t exist to me. I want a current gen one that doesn’t fuck up the original.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Maybe I'm getting old but I miss turn-based combat. All this pirouetting in the air and mashing buttons shit makes me feel less in control of my character.

Agree completely. Dragon Quest games still have thinking man's turn-based combat where your decisions matter. So does Persona. I recommend Persona 5 and DQ11 if you haven't already played them. Hopefully DQ12 sticks to this formula and doesn't go into whackadoodle FF15 chaos mechanics.

I was one of the five people who liked FF13 and its sequels. They were the last FFs where I really felt in-control of the characters. Even though there was a lot of chaos-movement onscreen, it was all going off of sets of commands that you had to think out. Like "I need to buff, now I need to debuff, now let's go on offense, now let's turtle up". It still did strategic combat, with a lot of extra visual flair and activity. I felt like FF15 just sorta veered off into visual flair without the participation, "mash X" gameplay.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Still fun to replay though with the JP Scroll Glitch.

What's the JP Scroll glitch?

I don't remember ever playing as a Calculator at all, and I did like everything in FFT. Most likely I maxed it on one character and then left it alone because I didn't need it. My OP setup was a bunch of Monks with Teleport as their move skill from Time Mage (Yeah, Move+3 is better, I know, but I liked Teleport) who would just teleport behind things and Wave Punch them to pieces. Also liked Ninjas for these kinds of assassinations. Go-to skills were Auto-Potion (just keep good potions in the inventory and throw away the weak ones), Teleport, Dual-Wield, and whatever other class skill made sense to go with Monk skill.

FFT was great if you did challenges. I did a few runs where I would recreate other FF characters like doing a FF4 only team and only using those jobs

That's a cool idea. Knight w/ some White Magic, Summoner w/ all Black Magic, Archer w/ all White Magic (or White Mage w/ Archery), Dragoon, and Ninja. I think I'll try that next time I play FFT. The only issue is that it might take a while to get the party set up the way you want it. You could also make other characters like Yang and Edward if you went beyond the main five endgame characters. One issue is that you can't get rid of Ramza. I don't see him being able to stand-in as any of the core FF4 characters. He sort of resembles Kain but I'd rather have Kain be a full-on Dragoon. Same with Cecil being a Knight. I guess naming Ramza Cecil and having him be the Paladin makes the most sense, can pretend Squire is Dark Knight and then go into the Knight/White Mage stuff after that.

They made sequels to FFT, it was video game aids. Referee NPC in battles that would yellow/red card you for using x/y ability and shit.

Friends of mine loved FFT Advance so when I finally played it in like 2010 I had huge hopes for it. Was a massive letdown to say the least. The referees might have been the stupidest game mechanic I've ever seen. They were so arbitrary. "No attack spells allowed in this fight" and nonsensical rules like that. I probably reset constantly to avoid bad rules. There were times, especially early-game, when I had no choice but to break a rule because I just didn't have the options to dance around the stupid referee mechanic.

FFTA2 was better than FFTA in a lot of ways, at least. I actually kind of recommend that one...kind of. I had actual fun with it up until the final boss fight which is stupidly long and difficult if you haven't done optional content like ultimate weapons, which it expects you to have done.

Onimusha Tactics on the GBA was a much better Tactics game than FFTA if one is looking for a Tactics on that system. Also, they did an FFT remake called War of the Lions on PSP that has a new translation and was pretty great IIRC.

Since I want to do an FF4-style replay now, what's the "definitive" way to play FFT these days?

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Couldn't find a really good video of this, this just shows the basics of how it works while playing it. Can google it for more in depth guide b/c there's a lot of classes than can benefit from it to cut out all the JP grinding to learn all the abilities if you wanted to do another play through. There's differences between it giving you 9,999 JP for a class and actual infinite JP points for a class.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
If

I don't remember ever playing as a Calculator at all, and I did like everything in FFT. Most likely I maxed it on one character and then left it alone because I didn't need it. My OP setup was a bunch of Monks with Teleport as their move skill from Time Mage (Yeah, Move+3 is better, I know, but I liked Teleport) who would just teleport behind things and Wave Punch them to pieces. Also liked Ninjas for these kinds of assassinations. Go-to skills were Auto-Potion (just keep good potions in the inventory and throw away the weak ones), Teleport, Dual-Wield, and whatever other class skill made sense to go with Monk skill.

That's a cool idea. Knight w/ some White Magic, Summoner w/ all Black Magic, Archer w/ all White Magic (or White Mage w/ Archery), Dragoon, and Ninja. I think I'll try that next time I play FFT. The only issue is that it might take a while to get the party set up the way you want it. You could also make other characters like Yang and Edward if you went beyond the main five endgame characters. One issue is that you can't get rid of Ramza. I don't see him being able to stand-in as any of the core FF4 characters. He sort of resembles Kain but I'd rather have Kain be a full-on Dragoon. Same with Cecil being a Knight. I guess naming Ramza Cecil and having him be the Paladin makes the most sense, can pretend Squire is Dark Knight and then go into the Knight/White Mage stuff after that.

Friends of mine loved FFT Advance so when I finally played it in like 2010 I had huge hopes for it. Was a massive letdown to say the least. The referees might have been the stupidest game mechanic I've ever seen. They were so arbitrary. "No attack spells allowed in this fight" and nonsensical rules like that. I probably reset constantly to avoid bad rules. There were times, especially early-game, when I had no choice but to break a rule because I just didn't have the options to dance around the stupid referee mechanic.

FFTA2 was better than FFTA in a lot of ways, at least. I actually kind of recommend that one...kind of. I had actual fun with it up until the final boss fight which is stupidly long and difficult if you haven't done optional content like ultimate weapons, which it expects you to have done.

Onimusha Tactics on the GBA was a much better Tactics game than FFTA if one is looking for a Tactics on that system. Also, they did an FFT remake called War of the Lions on PSP that has a new translation and was pretty great IIRC.

Since I want to do an FF4-style replay now, what's the "definitive" way to play FFT these days?
I have it on my phone.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've got it on the PS1 and I could emulate it on PSP or download it on the phone. Not that huge of a fan of phone games unless they make major improvements. I like how touched-up the phone version of Secret of Mana is, for instance. Might prefer the 2D-HD look of that over the 2.5D look of the PS4 version.

In any case, that JP scroll glitch should help a LOT in quickly making an FFIV party, which I guess I'll do on the PS1 version. The only problem is getting rid of Ramza, because I can't. I guess the best case scenario is to make him either Cecil or Kain.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Did an outline of what an FF4 party would look like. I'm looking into ROM patches for something that'll make Ramza actually look like his class (so he can be Cecil). "To a point" means "until satisfied with the abilities learned"

Cecil: Squire->Knight(max), Chemist->White Mage (to a point)

Rosa: Squire->Archer(to a point), Chemist->White Mage(max)

Rydia: Chemist->Black Mage(max)->Time Mage(3, to a point)->Summoner(max)

Kain: Squire->Archer(3)->Thief(3)->Dragoon(max), Chemist(max)

Edge: Squire->Archer(4)->Thief(5, to a point), Squire->Knight(3)->Monk(4)->Geomancer(2)->Ninja(max)

If you wanted to -really- put some work in, an Edward(Bard) with Sunken State from Ninja would probably be hilarious.

I'm at a bit of a loss for what Move skill to give to Cecil and Rosa because their choices are pretty limited and I don't really want to level up unnecessary classes. Probably best off making them both Thief and getting Move +2, but that means even more time spent in Archer than I'm doing already. As it is I've got 3 characters that are gonna need to be Archers for a while, Cecil would make it four. I guess I could do that.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I finished Chapter 1 in five hours, took about that long to get the FF4 party up and running (everyone except Edge... he is only halfway to where he needs to be at the same time everyone else is basically done. Turns out Ninja takes quite a while to get, especially if you're also learning all the Thief abilities on the way).

The JP Scroll glitch hasn't been too helpful, only used it to get Chemist done for Kain and Black Mage done for Rydia. Which is actually pretty huge I suppose, probably shaved off a couple hours of grinding.

Here's my final setup. Looking forward to playing Chapter 2-4 with this group (Yes, now I can finally play the game)

Kain: Chemist(max), Squire->Archer(3)->Thief(3)->Dragoon
Jump
Item
C: Speed Save(Archer)
S: Concentrate(Archer)
M: Move +2

Rosa: Squire->Archer(to a point), Thief (for Move+2), White Mage
White Magic
Archery
C: Speed Save(Archer)
S: Equip Bow

Cecil: Chemist->White Mage (to a point), Archer->Thief(for Move+2), Squire->Knight
Knight Skill
White Magic
C: Weapon Guard
S: Maintenance(Chemist)

Rydia: Chemist->Black Mage(max)->Time Mage(3, to a point)->Summoner
Summon
Black Magic
C: Counter Magic
S: Short Charge(Time Mage)
M: Teleport (Time Mage)

Edge: Squire->Archer(4)->Thief(5, to a point), Squire->Knight(3)->Monk(4)->Geomancer(2)->Ninja
Ninjitsu
Steal
C: Sunken State or Hamedo
S: Concentrate(Archer)

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
FFT FF4 game was fun, got to Velius/Belias in Chapter 3 and my group finally met its match there. I would have kept trying, but my modded Playstation Classic absolutely crapped out on me and keeps randomly shutting off. Can't even get it to stay on long enough to take pictures of my FF4 party. So that was a sucky way for the game to end after 9 hours or so. Cecil was the weak link of the party damage-wise, but he was nigh-unkillable with a Blood Sword, and his ability to cast Raise actually saved the day a few times when my healer went down and needed to be revived before their timer was up. Kain (Ramza) dished out the damage (it got a lot better in Chapter 2 once spears became available). Edge did the most melee damage of anyone in the group but was also a glass cannon and usually died quickly. Same with Rydia. Tons of AOE damage, died quickly. Rosa was a White Mage, no big whoop. Her archery turned out to not be very useful at all, not even for finishing off low-health foes, because of her super-low hit rate.

It was definitely an interesting experiment. Anyway, back to the FF7 talk. Just a few more days until Yuffie episode, ordered the PS5 version just for that.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
PSC working again. Still tapping out on the game, but here's my FFIV group for anybody interested:

20210607_120200.jpg

20210607_120212.jpg

20210607_120225.jpg

20210607_120236.jpg

20210607_120249.jpg

20210607_120301.jpg

In retrospect it'd be a good idea to either make an Orator or have one of these chars side-spec as Orator (whoever finished their FF4 setup first, maybe) for Brave/Faith grinding, which would help a lot with how underpowered this group is later on. It was great for Chapter 2 and didn't really run into issues until midway through Chapter 3 (the fight with Izilude was the first that gave me much grief once my party was assembled). Main issue being that 3/5ths of the party are glass cannons, mainly. Also, Rydia's Magick Counter was SUPER good. I suppose if you really put the work in to get Magick Counter on Rosa and Hamedo on Kain/Cecil, while also grinding up their Brave/Faith, you could make this a super-team that can go the distance. Magick Counter would be out of character for Rosa and defeat the point of this whole thing unfortunately so I'd stick to either Adrenaline Rush or Auto Potion for her.

Maybe I'll revisit it again someday and put in that extra work.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

spronk

FPS noob

while I can see thee obvious differences, ngl they are pretty much meaningless to me

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So I beat this on ps4 amd bought a ps5 a while back. Today I decided to download FF7R on it to find out my game saves are not on ps5 and I dont own a ps4 anymore.

if I borrow a ps4 and log into it will my ps4 saves download onto that system that I can later upload off of it?

Defiance

<Bronze Donator>
So I beat this on ps4 amd bought a ps5 a while back. Today I decided to download FF7R on it to find out my game saves are not on ps5 and I dont own a ps4 anymore.

if I borrow a ps4 and log into it will my ps4 saves download onto that system that I can later upload off of it?
magic-8-ball.png