Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Cybsled

If you have alt jobs, the 50/60/70 augmented gear is a solid bet.

If you dont, then you can

1) Use them to buy demimateria and vendor
2) Use them to buy unidentified shell/ore/etc and trade them for soils (used in gardening and plant crossbreeding). Soil prices fluctuate based on what SE adds to the game for crops and what they are used for, but the rank 3 crossbreeding soil (Thanalan I think?) is usually the one that is most in demand because it is required to get the rare strains/special plant seeds.
3) Buy gear and trade it for GC seals. Or if your desynthesis is high enough, use the weapons and gear as skill-up items.
4) Crafting materials (price and demand will fluctuate by server...or you can just use them yourself)

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I just went out to the FFXIV wiki and read through the patch 2.2 and 2.3 journal entries. I don't plan to do that once I get to Heavensward because I like not knowing what is going to happen, but I figure the filler stuff in 2.1 through 2.3 would be better of reading ahead of time, so I can skip through those novel-sized quest chats. It's kind of amazing just how much side stories are going on through out patch 2.1 through 2.3. Just from reading the lore, there's a lot of things that transpire in that "filler".

These guys took their filler content creation seriously. Even if it still boils down to filler content, its a lot better than the typical "kill 20 to 40 or more zebras to collect 4 hooves" quests crap that you get in other MMOs.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I mean there's some story, but not that much interesting stuff, the filler part is more how they'll ask you to go gather some shit to do the thing, while later they just go "ok let's use this thing I had in my pocket to do this" and you just do the stuff instead, if that makes sense. There's a lot of busywork quests in the middle of the story stuff for no reason really and it kinda sucks as a result cause it hurts the pacing of the story.

Cybsled

I could get augmented gear. Where is that from? I know I bought some gear from Idyllshire before

Idyllshire for 60, Rhagear for 70.

Basically buy the highest tier gear (shire 60, scavean 70). Then you can augment it and boost it another 10 item levels and make it dyable. Another npc will usually be the augment handin and you need the armor/weapon and the upgrade token/item. Usually those are sold under poetics: other.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I just went out to the FFXIV wiki and read through the patch 2.2 and 2.3 journal entries. I don't plan to do that once I get to Heavensward because I like not knowing what is going to happen, but I figure the filler stuff in 2.1 through 2.3 would be better of reading ahead of time, so I can skip through those novel-sized quest chats. It's kind of amazing just how much side stories are going on through out patch 2.1 through 2.3. Just from reading the lore, there's a lot of things that transpire in that "filler".

These guys took their filler content creation seriously. Even if it still boils down to filler content, its a lot better than the typical "kill 20 to 40 or more zebras to collect 4 hooves" quests crap that you get in other MMOs.
LOL it's not really filler content per se... you're just compressing two years of post-ARR content into one playthrough. Imagine playing through all of WoW from Vanilla through to the end of WoTLK in one playthrough.

The difference is you could skip all that in WoW since the main storyline (whatever that was) didn't originally prohibit you from accessing any content. Not so in FFXIV.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
LOL it's not really filler content per se... you're just compressing two years of post-ARR content into one playthrough. Imagine playing through all of WoW from Vanilla through to the end of WoTLK in one playthrough.

The difference is you could skip all that in WoW since the main storyline (whatever that was) didn't originally prohibit you from accessing any content. Not so in FFXIV.
Ok. That makes sense.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I’m lvl 79 and worried about how far behind I’m falling. How much time am I looking at if I want to catch up on extremes /new raid before next reset? Do I have to tome farm for all the expert dungeon gear first before those?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
So I’m lvl 79 and worried about how far behind I’m falling. How much time am I looking at if I want to catch up on extremes /new raid before next reset? Do I have to tome farm for all the expert dungeon gear first before those?

i430 for extremes
i425 for normals

khorum

Murder Apologist

Only if you're a tank tbh, and really not unless you're maintank. Just finished eden4 and I'd say you'd be fine at ~435ish. Remember that once you finish your role questline you go to Gerolt in the Tempest and get a coffer with 430 gear and weapons. Then just farm the expert dungeons for the right side gear or get into inno ex.

The way they're capping the rewards to one token per week off each boss puts a brake on how far behind you can lapse anyway. You can get 1 token from each of the four bosses so far and you can't roll on any more for the week. But the rewards take a different amount of specific tokens to purchase. BP/Legs are 4 tokens while belts are only 1 so you have to really plan out how you wanna gain the rewards.

If you really wanted to maximise your gains you'd want helm/boots/gloves and belt this week, since you can get 450 jewelry off inno ex anyway. But then you'd have to be prepared to farm the bosses till you win the tokens you really want.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You can do normals with min ilvl, nothing hits really that hard, unless you're trying to solo tank last boss or whatever. Extremes you need the ilvl to enter but that's about it, shit doesn't hit hard either.

Honestly pretty sure you can hit 80, run each 80 dungeons once, buy a ring and then jump straight into Eden with the job gear+whatever accessories you still have, especially if you have 77/79 gear, as long as you meet the ilvl. Might need to run expert and buy another acc, or run the 80dungeons a couple more times to get the 430 drops in there.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
PRETTY SURE that he is in one of the last cut-scenes when we are walking back into the main city AFTER emet slaying and everyone is cheering us. He is "there" walking towards his friends. I don't know if that's a "He's gone" moment or if it's more like he wished his friends were there to greet him after this event.

If his "Death" is simply being an axe to be thrown, I'll be salty. I feel like they could have made that much more meaningful such as:

*Fight Ends - All players knocked to their feet*

The light is now madly fluctuating and we are about to turn

Emet is clearly mortally wounded

Warrior of Darkness is there watching it all unfold

*Flashbacks to Minfilia stopping the flood of light*

Warrior of Darkness then takes the light from us to materialize slightly to the point Y'shtola and Ryne can actually "See" him

Warrior of Darkness delivers the final blow, extracting the light.

It would have basically been the same outcome as now but with a more meaningful end to the Warrior of darkness. I mean as is, those other heroes that were there at the crystal tower weren't really THERE...their aether had been spent holding the flood of light, so if anything they were just illusions or him wishing they were there.

I did think the Mini Ardbert was a cool touch but...lore wise doesn't fit since the kid is clearly not young and TECHICALLY Ardbert died a hundred years ago and his spirit JUST faded (if we go with that theory) 10 second before we see Mini Ardbert.

---

OH that reminds me on the "Emet isn't fully evil" thought.

When we lose our light they make mention that our soul isn't tarnished as it once was before. Like the entire process of fighting Emet served as self sacrifice on Emet's part in order to extract the light AND fix the soul.

I dunno, I know this is broken record territory now but I think that if Emet is gone it's a really lost opportunity.

I liked the lore but...I dunno I'm so conflicted if it was good or just average.

Still don't think he was ever conflicted about what he wanted to do with the First and his overall plan. He never actually wavers from all that. He's just getting close to us because he wants to see the player up close and weigh how much "worth" his soul has as a portion of whichever Ascian he clearly once knew. Also in order to learn the secret of the Crystal Exarch (identity, and then...time travel), which he clearly wanted to be another tool in his toolbox for eventually rejoining all the shards. The only "conflict" he seemed to have was whether or not we proved "worthy" in whatever way he was wondering/hoping we would.

I liked Emet-Selch too, but there was no missed opportunity...he literally in this expansion was our window into pulling back the curtain on a lot of the basics of the main plotline with the Ascians/Zodiark/Hydalyn. We learned quite a bit about how they're doing it, and why. The whole "not fully evil" part is pretty obviously thrown in our face that from his point of view, his actions to restore everyone he knew that lived back then would make perfect sense to the Scions...they just can't agree with it when the price would be to essentially sacrifice all that is living now (also surprised none of them questioned him on the "rightness" of Zodiark when its power required sacrificing half the Ascian population twice).

khorum

Murder Apologist
You gotta finish the role quest too. Learned that firsthand after getting my SAM to 80 and there was nothing there.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's ok. The game launched on my vacation week and there just wasn't any time to really play until a bit last week and then this week. In the grand scheme of things I'll be a week or two behind int he beginning and I'm ok with that. Waifu Pillow won't stop until the top.

I was in MUCH worse condition at Legion launch. Thankfully a bunch of guild members took some time to last minute help me out (Vitality - wherever he is)

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
My gathering retainers(78) are now higher level than my Red Mage(76), this is how behind I am. :)