Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I've been collecting poetics from the Beast Tribe dailies. I'm 50 and still a half dozen quests from finishing the first MSQ arc. Should I get some decent 50 gear from the poetics, or save them for something better coming up soon?

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've been collecting poetics from the Beast Tribe dailies. I'm 50 and still a half dozen quests from finishing the first MSQ arc. Should I get some decent 50 gear from the poetics, or save them for something better coming up soon?
Debatable, really. If you're a questholic like I am, you're given HQ gear as you begin and progress through the 3.0/4.0/5.0 MSQs and their side quests. If you spend poetics on gear, you won't need to replace it until approximately 54/64/74 in terms of ilvl.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Poetics are easy to get. The best use of them while leveling is to buy the top tier 50/60/70 gear (so for ARR, Ironworks gear and then augment it). You'll get plenty of poetics if you run daily roulettes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
What are server ticks? I was watching a job guide and the author was talking about server ticks.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
What are server ticks? I was watching a job guide and the author was talking about server ticks.

It's the Global Cooldown Timer, which the whole game is based on, they have been adding a lot of off GCD skills which has been nice.

• 1Like

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Server ticks are when the server itself processes DoT damage and ability resolution, is the very TLDR version. It's why some abilities can still hit you despite it seeming like you're well out of it client side.

The easiest way to explain it is by way of you keeping an eye on HoTs and DoTs, when you get healed/hurt by them compared to when they go on. They do NOT pulse literally 3s after their application upon you. If you get hit with one right before a server tick, you'll take damage/heal almost immediately, but if you get one right after a server tick, it'll be close to that 3s interval.

• 1Like

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Heh funny that you post this.... it was the monk job video I was watching.

Honestly, I don't know any MNKs that try to get the Anatman tick in their opener. It's super cheesy and equates to such a tiny DPS gain that it's almost imperceptible. If that's what you're worried about, don't be. I have quite a few friends that are 90+ percentile MNKs and none of them do the Anatman opener.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Honestly, I don't know any MNKs that try to get the Anatman tick in their opener. It's super cheesy and equates to such a tiny DPS gain that it's almost imperceptible. If that's what you're worried about, don't be. I have quite a few friends that are 90+ percentile MNKs and none of them do the Anatman opener.
There's no reason not to do the Anatman opener, it's always better than not doing it, even if the tick is the max duration. Them being 90+ doesn't really change that. The faster the tick is, the better the opener is compared to other openers. What's most likely not needed is using the ACT mod to proc the server tick via heals and then do the pull countdown yourself so you can anatman tick at exactly the right time, that shit's a bunch of super optimization for a fairly low benefit unless you're going for the top MNK parse, but otherwise for general random play you still should do the Anatman opener.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
We don't use ACT, and i have zero problems keeping up, except BM's but that's there class overall(true glass cannon), I find people who sit there and try too optimize too the server tick, is honestly a waste of time, you will clear it eventually you don't need ACT too tell you when too press buttons, fuck that shit

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Like any DPS meter, it is a good metric for seeing how you are currently doing and optimizing your play over many pulls. When I play dps classes I keep it up at all times and constantly look at it to see if I am better or worse then last time.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't think they're talking about just the meter, they're talking about gaming it to line up with server tick

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It effects a lot of stuff, like if you are a Tank you may notice that if you hit Arm's Length very late before a knockback, even though you "cast" the spell right before the knockback, there wasn't a Server Tick to "apply" the buff to yourself, and you get knockbacked while having Arm's Length up, for example.

I've had it happen as well with tank busters and TBN - if you hit TBN or the defensive cooldown just a second before the buster hits, you'll take that full buster damage without any reduction because the server tick hasn't happened yet.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just in general, there's plenty ACT can help dps with other than just "more deeps" number.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
We don't use ACT, and i have zero problems keeping up, except BM's but that's there class overall(true glass cannon), I find people who sit there and try too optimize too the server tick, is honestly a waste of time, you will clear it eventually you don't need ACT too tell you when too press buttons, fuck that shit

As I said it's definitely not necessary to do the ACT syncing, but regardless the Anatman opener is still better. And it isn't a crazy complicated opener to do or whatever. It's literally learning a 10buttons sequence as a new opener. It's kinda like doing the old BLM opener because you don't like the no B4 opener, even though it does more damage.

It effects a lot of stuff, like if you are a Tank you may notice that if you hit Arm's Length very late before a knockback, even though you "cast" the spell right before the knockback, there wasn't a Server Tick to "apply" the buff to yourself, and you get knockbacked while having Arm's Length up, for example.

I've had it happen as well with tank busters and TBN - if you hit TBN or the defensive cooldown just a second before the buster hits, you'll take that full buster damage without any reduction because the server tick hasn't happened yet.

Pretty sure that's not the server tick. The server tick is a full 3seconds, which in the worst case would mean you literally wouldn't be able to cooldown for a buster because 3secs is a long time. The last second shit is just the double checking on the server side stuff, buffs aren't applied right away, it always does this in every cases for every class, if you cast a buff/debuff at the last second, it won't affect the thing. The more you lag the worse it gets too, I remember back when I played NA with SCH, I would pretty much NEVER get adlo/succor shields to stick before damage unless I precasted. It got better when I moved to EU servers, but it's still delayed, and it does the same all the time, while a server tick would vary.

The server ticks mostly affect dots/hots, mp regen(relevant for BLM) and some of these channeling skills, which is why the SAM opener still had Meditate weaved in, if you get lucky you get a tick inbetween skills for some additional Kenki and why unless there's a break soonish, it's worth throwing Improv on DNC out in the melee stack to get some additional esprit as an oGCD.

Last edited:

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Pretty sure that's not the server tick. The server tick is a full 3seconds, which in the worst case would mean you literally wouldn't be able to cooldown for a buster because 3secs is a long time. The last second shit is just the double checking on the server side stuff, buffs aren't applied right away, it always does this in every cases for every class, if you cast a buff/debuff at the last second, it won't affect the thing. The more you lag the worse it gets too, I remember back when I played NA with SCH, I would pretty much NEVER get adlo/succor shields to stick before damage unless I precasted. It got better when I moved to EU servers, but it's still delayed, and it does the same all the time, while a server tick would vary.

The server ticks mostly affect dots/hots, mp regen(relevant for BLM) and some of these channeling skills, which is why the SAM opener still had Meditate weaved in, if you get lucky you get a tick inbetween skills for some additional Kenki and why unless there's a break soonish, it's worth throwing Improv on DNC out in the melee stack to get some additional esprit as an oGCD.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I always considered it in reverse, the dots/hots/regen tick we just called the dot tick and the shorter of the ticks the server tick. It's the same tick that will screw you into getting hit with an AoE attack when you know you moved out in time. Yes, more latency makes it worse but you said it yourself, it's double checking on the server side stuff - clientside the game shows you as out of the AoE/having cast the defensive on yourself, but the server hasn't updated that via the "tick" yet, thus you get hit with the aoe/defensive doesn't take effect. That's why everyone I talked to always referred to that one as the "server tick".

We're basically talking about the same thing though, just calling it different things semantically.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I always considered it in reverse, the dots/hots/regen tick we just called the dot tick and the shorter of the ticks the server tick. It's the same tick that will screw you into getting hit with an AoE attack when you know you moved out in time. Yes, more latency makes it worse but you said it yourself, it's double checking on the server side stuff - clientside the game shows you as out of the AoE/having cast the defensive on yourself, but the server hasn't updated that via the "tick" yet, thus you get hit with the aoe/defensive doesn't take effect. That's why everyone I talked to always referred to that one as the "server tick".

We're basically talking about the same thing though, just calling it different things semantically.
I mean yeah they're all "ticks" I guess but generally when referring to server ticks for stuff like Anatman or BLM regen, ppl mean the 3secs constant ticks that dictate stuff like when dots do damage or when hots heal. The ground aoe checks are on a much smaller tickrate, same for buff stuff(although pretty sure that one's slower than ground). People do use this too for server ticks sometimes for weird debuff/aoe resolution in some ultimate fights and shit(like you lose a buff before an aoe hits and instantly die because it's not supposed to work like that and shit).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Absolutely. I am not willing to game it just to do that though