Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
So i thought this would be the right game to play together with my daughter. Gifter her a version through steam, bought one for myself.

Created my account, all good.
Went to creat hers - error "i2501". Wtf? And support doesn't even work on weekends.
I would avoid Steam for FFXIV. I would cut my losses if I was you, and just buy her a plain copy of the game from Square.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
My 60 day time card ran out this weekend, and I have not bought a new one because WoW Classic starts today. I don't really see a reason to play both games at the same time, so I am going to hold off on getting another time card for FFXIV until WoW Classic fizzles out.

I still really love FFXIV, and I definitely will be back.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Square even expects the lull and knows a lot of you will be back in 5.1 / 5.2 for relics, ultimates, and next progression tier

Daidraco

I would avoid Steam for FFXIV. I would cut my losses if I was you, and just buy her a plain copy of the game from Square.

But arent you still in like.. Heavensward content? My interest peaked significantly towards the end of the Stormblood content. Now that Im doing Shadowbringers - there is just so much shit happening in the MSQ that I'm like... wtf is going to happen next?!?! Only thing that bugs me is that a lot of loose ends are tied up inside of Blue Quests back in older content. Something I'll have to do later on, but some of the quests in the MSQ could easily be replaced with that content - but I digress. I just dont get the draw of Classic, but to each their own. To me it's like going back to EQ and expecting it to recapture the feeling I had when I first played it.

On an unrelated topic -
Do the trust members of your team just have crappy DPS or what? I tried it once, and it seems interesting. But man did it feel like a slog killing stuff. Often times feeling like me, as a tank, did more damage to the target than the trust NPC's did.

Malkav

French Madman
On an unrelated topic -
Do the trust members of your team just have crappy DPS or what? I tried it once, and it seems interesting. But man did it feel like a slog killing stuff. Often times feeling like me, as a tank, did more damage to the target than the trust NPC's did.

They are tightly tuned for 30 minutes runs. That's the goal the dev went with. So yeah, they are slow. They are not meant to be as quick as a full group. Why you would run them as a tank is the better question though.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Sargas

Trakanon Raider
Tank queues have actually been pretty bad as of late - I was actually getting in faster as a dps in the 77-79 dungeons.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They are tightly tuned for 30 minutes runs. That's the goal the dev went with. So yeah, they are slow. They are not meant to be as quick as a full group. Why you would run them as a tank is the better question though.
You kinda "need" to run a tank through trusts if you want to level them all due to the classes available. You need one tank and one DPS to do all of them without doing additional runs.

You can get the runs down to 25-27mins depending on the dungeon and your class, by pulling more than one group and stuff, but it's still fairly slow. On the flipside you don't have to interact with some of the shittier players who make you wish you did a trust run instead, you get more loot on average especially minions/orchestrion rolls and you don't have queues(although you can use said queues to do other stuff like beast tribes or FATEs). Oh and you can go afk mid dungeon if you want, hell mid pull even and it'll be fine most of the time. In fact you can do semi afk runs and just play the bosses(or not depending on the boss and if you're a tank) while you let the NPCs handle all the trash, just need to run into the next pack every couple minutes.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Before some of you quit/take a break to play WoW from 15 years ago, the Rising Event started today. Some nice housing items/rewards that will only be around for a short while.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I do not get it. I would rather play new content and a new game in FF14 then WoW, (Again) but I have a feeling 90% of those playing that will give up on the novelty within a week.

But that's just me.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Yeah I do not get it. I would rather play new content and a new game in FF14 then WoW, (Again) but I have a feeling 90% of those playing that will give up on the novelty within a week.

But that's just me.

It depends how much the allure exists for people that never played it...and how long people who did play it want to go back and see/beat anything they didn't (couldn't) beat back in Vanilla. I find I have no desire to go back and do everything I already did, but just knowing how few people cleared all the raid content back then, my experience isn't normal, obviously.

• 1Like

Malakriss

1) is it good
2) is it fun
3) is it new / replayable

For people who haven't done all of the content it's still new to them, but for people that have done it to death already the replayability is not going to be there.

Since the context is in regards to vanilla WoW, i do not want to replay 2004 leveling again in any form certainly not with hours long queues and overinfested starter zones. Much in the same way we would never want to go back to 2.0 Ampador death runs to skip all the trash. RIP tank's wallet.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

A lot of the twitch people were kids back then as well, so that plays a role. The vanilla zones also haven’t existed since Cata, so there is that as well.

• 1Like

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
After the second week of savage I stopped logging in. I really want to find sustained entertainment in this game but I can't. There's tons of people everywhere but the game feels like a ghost town.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
It's honestly a solid bet to play an expansion at launch until you get bored, then wait until the x.5 update. There's so much more to do at that point, it's basically like another expansion before the next one is just about ready to drop.

Saying that; I'm really enjoying XIV atm. I'm really trying to improve my DPS this time instead of just doing casual shit. It's fun to actually review and improve on mistakes I'm making so I'm getting my fill of fun.

I'm never terrible, I tend to be above average at around 60-70th percentile, but I want to be better on jobs like PLD and WHM.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Didn't want to finish Savage?

I started a static with my brother and we were having a great time, but I got a new job which conflicts with the schedule. Real life has to come first.

I would form a new static with a new schedule but earliest I could raid would be like 7:30pm West coast time on weekdays, which is basically impossible to get groups for, and there's no way I'm giving up time to raid on the weekends.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I started a static with my brother and we were having a great time, but I got a new job which conflicts with the schedule. Real life has to come first.

I would form a new static with a new schedule but earliest I could raid would be like 7:30pm West coast time on weekdays, which is basically impossible to get groups for, and there's no way I'm giving up time to raid on the weekends.

I know a tank and healer on our server that would love to make a static at that time.