Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
There's so much to do in this game, as a relative noob. It's almost overwhelming. I finally finished the base game MSQ. I'm level 52, I think. I also had a sex change. I'm no longer a hot dark elf(or whatever they're called in FF) chick.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
There's so much to do in this game, as a relative noob. It's almost overwhelming. I finally finished the base game MSQ. I'm level 52, I think. I also had a sex change. I'm no longer a hot dark elf(or whatever they're called in FF) chick.
I ran in to that same situation myself while playing through the first 50 levels. There just is a ton you can do in the game, and if you don't pick a small handful to focus on, you get overwhelmed very quickly.

The other trap is multi-classing before you get one class through the MSQ of ARR. It is super easy to get stuck in multi-class hell around level 30. You try this class for ten or so levels. Then you try another, and then another. Before you know it, you have all the classes between level 10 and 30 with out having finished the ARR MSQ on any of them, and burn out sets in.

I had to just choose a class, and force myself to stay on it because it was so damned tempting to try all the classes. For the record, the class I chose to power through the ARR was Monk. It's a very fun powerful class for level 1 to 30. Once I opened up Samurai, I switched to that, and have been Samurai ever since. I plan to go back and play my monk up after I finish Heavensward on my Samurai.

Anybody thinking about playing FFXIV for the first time and reading this thread, I highly highly highly suggest picking an easy DPS class as your first class to level up. Monk is amazingly easy, and a great choice. The reason for this is that every dungeon run you go through, as DPS, you just follow the tank, and hit shit for the most part. Stay out of flashy shit on the ground, kill adds, and click shit that shows up in the middle of fights. That's about it. This allows you to learn the dungeons by following the tank that is almost always played by someone who has done those dungeons a hundred times before. Later on, when you are more experienced, then make something other than a DPS class because you will already know how to play each dungeon.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I'm 52 on Arcanist/Summoner. I haven't done any other classes, other than 'opening' them up and getting their level 1 weapon in my inventory. Now that I finished ARR, I'll probably putz around some on other classes or crafting a bit. Queue times definitely suck as a DPS, though I was only queuing for specific story dungeons and not roulette. Not sure how much quicker those are.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>

I'm level 80, and fairly casual both in time spent playing and playstyle. I put maybe 20-25 hours a week in the game, and I enjoy most aspect of the game, gathering, crafting, housing, beast tribes, golden saucer, duty roulette, leveling other jobs etc...

And I'm still overwhelmed at 80 with too many things to do. A lot of what I like to do would be considered a total waste of time by most people on this board. :)

For example, I'm getting low on shards for crafting and have access to 3 gardens, 2 on my house, and 1 on the FC house. So I've been going around everyday gathering 24 grade 1 shroud topsoil, and 24 of the seeds required for crystal and then plant 24 seeds. This takes me about 30-45 mins each day, but gets me about 1500 shards a day. I'm almost done now getting everything back to 1500-2000.

I also do my Beast Tribe quest, the Stormblood because they are great xp for leveling alt job like my Gunblade 65 now. I do the Heavensward as a completist to unlock the rewards.

Since I'm working on the Free Company Airship, I need TONS of company seals to buy crafting materials...around 200K for the next upgrade. So I do 1-2 Trust to get a bunch of green items to turn in for seals.

Just these 3 activities have been taking my entire evening of playtime. No time for duty roulette, my Red Mage still has some quest gear on. Haven't had time to decorate my house much, no time for golden saucer in like 2 weeks.

I'm still at floor 40 of PotD since I haven't found time in like 2 weeks to get to 50.

I'm having a blast having so many things to do, but at the same time it's almost frustrating because I'm doing so many things, I'm barely making any progress on any of them...but I wouldn't change a thing really.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Shit, so I thought I finished ARR, since I got the credits etc, but it looks like there is a shitton more quests before Heavensward that I need to do.

• 4Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Shit, so I thought I finished ARR, since I got the credits etc, but it looks like there is a shitton more quests before Heavensward that I need to do.

Ah, you just hit the most boring part of FF14. The post-ARR section, gets better toward the end, but it's a bit of a drag for the most part.

Don't despair, and keep up...it'll get better. :)

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
If I remember correctly, you have about 109 more quests to fully complete ARR and start Heavensward.

What this is, is the content they released in patches AFTER ARR came out. So, you officially beat ARR. Now you are playing through the patch content that came out between ARR and Heavensward.

A lot of it is filler quests with a lot of running back and forth. Put on Netflix, and just go. There are some story tidbits in there that are cool, but again, it's a lot of filler too.

The end result of this content is EPIC! I can't stress this enough. Expect a 45 minute cut scene at the end of it. No. Seriously.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

I'm currently about a third into Shadowbringers, but if you want to message me your handle / server I'll shoot you a friend request. I'm a tank if you need that, and after I'm done with the MSQ in Shadowbringers, I'll be bringing up a healer. Which should fly considering every wait I have is for a healer... I generally play late evenings, east coast US. I dont mind doing old content cause I play Barbie Doll Dress up with glamours far too much.

I only extend the offer cause I've watched my g/f go into dungeons lately and horry sheet do some of the tanks f'n suck. The MSQ all the way up has bosses that, if you just pay attention, even if you're new to the dungeon, you can learn the fight all too quickly. The tank she had last night on an instance you have yet to be in (post-HW, Storm Intro), I'm sitting there watching the tank blame the healer for letting him die over and over. Then, I guess when he realized the healer wasnt going to respond to him, he started blaming the DPS for not doing enough damage. I wanted to message him so bad. All he had to do was just stagger his cool downs instead of blowing 3-4 majors each fight. That, or stop pulling an amount he cant tank. I really dont think some people realize how powerful "Arm's Length" is at lower levels and lots of mobs. That slow is debilitating af to entire trains of mobs.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I hit 51 almost 52 now I think. I am done with the first 25% of those quests. The back and forth is just killer. I am going to have some time tonight to hopefully blast through them.

Love the game though still. Lots of fun.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
1567111654237.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Is there somewhere I can store all of my crafting component stuff? My main inventory is getting a bit annoying to manage.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Retainers of which you get two for free. If you still lack room then you can buy up to six more at two bucks a pop a month. Shouldn't really have that issue unless you are omni crafting though. Just glamour/sell stuff.

edit:

RE shitty tanks from Daidraco's post;

Yah it is frustrating. I primarily tank and have no problem wall to wall pulling every dungeon in the game. It has been super frustrating leveling my DPS and Healer jobs because tanks don't understand if you rotate one Big CD then your short CD then another big one each wall to wall you are never in danger of dying even with lowish dps or a slow healer. You are also right about arms reach, it basically maths out to roughly fifteen percent damage reduction and I hardly every see tanks use it. Had a warrior tank a couple nights ago, yah the guys who can full heal themselves every pack in addition to their defenses, die repeatedly and just go off on our healer. First report I've done since the expac dropped.

Last edited:

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You can pay for up to seven retainers normally, an eighth is available if you pay for the companion app (which also gives extra saddlebag storage)

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Anybody thinking about playing FFXIV for the first time and reading this thread, I highly highly highly suggest picking an easy DPS class as your first class to level up. Monk is amazingly easy, and a great choice. The reason for this is that every dungeon run you go through, as DPS, you just follow the tank, and hit shit for the most part. Stay out of flashy shit on the ground, kill adds, and click shit that shows up in the middle of fights. That's about it. This allows you to learn the dungeons by following the tank that is almost always played by someone who has done those dungeons a hundred times before. Later on, when you are more experienced, then make something other than a DPS class because you will already know how to play each dungeon.

I'd suggest DPS is the hardest archetype to be even half decent on. Tank is ultra forgiving and very easy. Healer isn't difficult. But the further you go in the game the more difficult DPS gets, optimising rotations and constantly moving and keeping out of ae's.

Cybsled

Yes, but outside of savage/extreme clears, it's easier to carry a mediocre DPS than it is to carry a mediocre tank or healer.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Yes, but outside of savage/extreme clears, it's easier to carry a mediocre DPS than it is to carry a mediocre tank or healer.

Yeah but you can 2 man non Savage/extreme content 90% of the time. It's meant to be zero challenge.

Savage/extreme is the only raid content in the game that you have chance of wiping on.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I'd suggest DPS is the hardest archetype to be even half decent on. Tank is ultra forgiving and very easy. Healer isn't difficult. But the further you go in the game the more difficult DPS gets, optimising rotations and constantly moving and keeping out of ae's.
I'm mainly referring to the sub 50 content, and the advantage being you don't need to know the dungeons for the most part. Just follow the tank, and learn how to play your class as you go. Obviously, healer is a good option for this as well, but for myself, I prefer playing DPS over healer just because I find it stressful to keep everybody alive lol. That's just my issue though.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Found some new endgame content.

So the other day I was on Adamantoise buying some cheap crafting materials for my carpenter when I saw a shout for an RP inn opening for business in an hour.

At the time my FC mate was redecorating our house I thought it would be a cool idea to go and check out the house and see if they had any cool design ideas.

We get to the plot and it's locked with a large Au Ra dude in armor standing there. We find out he's the bouncer And we get let in.

Let me tell you now that this was not an RP inn. It was an RP brothel. A VERY we'll run RP brothel with about 7-10 "girls" and a madam.

This became apparent when the madam gave us a link to their menu showing the pricing for services and what is and is not allowed.

FC mate and I decided to test the RP chops and I paid the madam close to one million gil to rent out one lalafel girl and one dick girl cat girl for an hour for both of us.

They take us into a private room in the house and we sit down on a chair, they ask us what we desire and we tell them we want to watch ...a play!

We made the lalafel and the dickgirl act out scenes from famous plays for an HOUR. While we laughed in discord.

I'm not gonna lie they got into it they had costume changes and excellent use of abilities and emotes I was impressed.

They charge 150k an hour for 1 on 1 vanilla stuff I made close a million an hour afk gathering so they must be a passion project more than anything.

After we finish FC mate dips out and I head to the bar. Tons of RPers trying to get free ERP from the "girls" and the "girls" trying to get them to rent a room in the back very art imitating life.

Lvl 58 bard with a newbie leaf walks in no other classes obviously a new player no glam etc.

Says he wanted to play some songs and he does I ask him if he's ever been with a lalafel woman and he says no, I call over the mistress and pay for an hour for the newbie with the lalafel and leave.

All in all I had fun spent money and avoided ERP at a whorehouse ...for now.

• 3Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 3 users