Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
If you want a mansion you'll need a lot more than 30 million since you'll most likely need to "buy" it from the bot rmt gangs for like 500 mil.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The Yakuza of FFXIV - though, I saw one advertisement the other day in chat. 5 million gil for 5 bucks on Coeurl. I put some serious thought into doing that before telling myself Im stupid. lol

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
They definitely listened to feedback about the Philosophy version. Even the base dungeon runs are x3 instead of x1, and Crystal Tower is x3 from x2. People on reddit are thinking that PVP will be the way to go for farming this event.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They definitely listened to feedback about the Philosophy version. Even the base dungeon runs are x3 instead of x1, and Crystal Tower is x3 from x2. People on reddit are thinking that PVP will be the way to go for farming this event.
Putting a bunch in PvP is smart, since they needed an incentive for people to do that so queues aren't terrible for whoever's farming Garo event before it goes away in 5.1. Also these kind of events were super common in XI, they're just really low cost to make(just change the rewards and the places you can farm, a few lines of code here and there, no assets at all) and still are useful for new and old players(unless you have literally everything but don't care about earrings either). In XI they also rewarded expensive drops to spawn stuff and such, I guess the equivalent would be if they dropped untradeable versions of the relic crafted shit you need for example, that'd be nice for new players.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
I feel like this deserves to be in here, even though I'm really late to the party:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Fashion report is absurdly easy 60,000 MGP this weekend

k7FLkQn.png

• 1Like

deev

Lord Nagafen Raider
Finally gave this a try, levelled an archer to 18. Is there anything obvious I should be doing? Like for example doing the series of 'learn to not stand in the fire' challenges that gave me a 30% XP ring.

Cybsled

Ya, those new player quests give you some good gear. The MSQ will pretty much make sure you hit the major stuff (grand companies, getting a mount, etc).

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Finally gave this a try, levelled an archer to 18. Is there anything obvious I should be doing? Like for example doing the series of 'learn to not stand in the fire' challenges that gave me a 30% XP ring.

As someone who has seen dozens of people try this game and immediately get overwhelmed and quit here is my advice

1. The game is designed from the top down your class may seem slow/boring that's because they spend all their time designing the class for level 70, so don't fall into the trap of chain rerolling at low levels to find the "fun" class. They all have boring spots until 60+

2. Do every quest that has a Blue quest icon and ignore the normal bronze colored quests. Blue quests unlock something on your account, like new dungeons, raids,mechanics and charscters.

3. If your into the story like me, know that after the base gameand before the first expansion is a fucking slog of MSQ storyline that everyone thinks is terrible. It gets much better, in fact they are redoing the entire MSQ at the end of October to trim a lot of the fat.

4. Don't rush to endgame and do not buy class/MSQ skips. Every person I've seen buy a MSQ/class skip quits almost immediately because the game is not easy what so ever and you become straight up useless because they never learned how to play their class. Just take your time.

5. Stay out of Limsa/uldah Quicksand it's full of sexual degenerate roleplayers who will try and suck your dick. Someone tries to sick my dick when ever I'm there doing levequests.

6. You'll enjoy the game a lot more if you don't skip cutscenes and just be a secret weeb for the game even if you tell everyone here you skip them. Shadowbringers was the best storyline in a FF game in almost 20 years so enjoy it.

7. Don't worry about Materia or gear until you are 50/60/70 you will collect this general currency called Poetics that you can use to buy the end gameish gear from each expansion from a vendor. It's very useful for leveling as you can store it in your retainer for other jobs. You get Poetics from most roulettes.

8. Roulettes! Do them even if you don't need the XP, just leveling queue unless you need the XP then do MSQ(you'll get these later) roulettes are cool they match you up with delevel you with a party to do random dungeons for a once a day bonus. It's great XP and you get to help new players do old content. Most of the people you are doing dungeons with are roulette players.

9. Retainers hold your stuff and also let you sell stuff on the marketboard. Later on you can give your retainer a job and they can go out on missions for you to collect tradeskill items you may need for fun or profit.

10. Crafting and gathering are their own classes and their own game. I know lots of people who never do any combat classes outside of getting one to max level for the MSQ then go straight to crafting. It has its own rotations and gear sets and is super involved. It's also the best way to make money in the game where a good "Omni crafter" (all Crafters leveled) can make hundred and hundred of million of gil and engage in the true end game for non combat classes. Housing and glamour.

If you are on Gilgamesh I run a small FC(guild) with like 6 or so active players. We have a house and a bunch of other goodies like FC buffs that help you level. You can hit me up here if you want an invite.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

deev

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thanks for the awesome post. I keep wondering when the free trial is going to stop me from levelling, then I'll work out if I actually want to cough up some cash to continue.

Archer is kinda boring atm yes, I'm hoping things improve with bard at level 30.

Sadly I'm eurotrash, I think I might have even ended up on a German server, or maybe they're just the most vocal players on chat (Twintania, I think it's called?)

After being in queue for the first dungeon for over 30 mins and not getting a group I did consider changing to tank, but I'm not sure that's the best idea, given that I don't know any of the dungeons/bosses etc.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Thanks for the awesome post. I keep wondering when the free trial is going to stop me from levelling, then I'll work out if I actually want to cough up some cash to continue.

Archer is kinda boring atm yes, I'm hoping things improve with bard at level 30.

Sadly I'm eurotrash, I think I might have even ended up on a German server, or maybe they're just the most vocal players on chat (Twintania, I think it's called?)

After being in queue for the first dungeon for over 30 mins and not getting a group I did consider changing to tank, but I'm not sure that's the best idea, given that I don't know any of the dungeons/bosses etc.

People are almost always friendly towards "sprouts" the little symbol says you are a new player. Queue times can suck but keep it up, find something to do during the queue like level a gatherer or do some quests.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Been rocking the PVP queues during the Moogle Event, the XP is pretty busted since you can queue with a lvl 30 and then switch to your main class and get the XP on the lvl 30.

Cybsled

New housing wards in 5.1....wards 19 through 21 to be added. Initial plot sales will be restricted to FC only, unless you relocate, in which case you can upgrade w/o the lockout.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
New housing wards in 5.1....wards 19 through 21 to be added. Initial plot sales will be restricted to FC only, unless you relocate, in which case you can upgrade w/o the lockout.

Damn, I need to find a way to make around 35M Gil before 5.1, while spending most of my gaming time in Destiny 2, terrible timing. :)

jonoki

Molten Core Raider
Is this game doable as super casual like one or two days a week on the weekend? Haven't played an mmo in years but kind of want to try this.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just like any MMO, you can do this casual but you'll be forever leveling up and your raid/event participation will be truncated due to those times.

That said, it's chill and you don't need 40 people to do stuff, as the only "raid" content that you would need or want a premade for is the extreme/harder mode versions of fights for top end gear that you can survive without pretty easily if you aren't doing those progression hard mode fights.

It's -very- story dependent as well, so expect a lot of cutscenes, some of which can be quite long and awesome. It's a really fun game that you can play at whatever pace you want, but just like all the other MMOs before it, if you want to do high end raiding/whatever, expect your time requirements to limit that capability to a degree.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Once you get used to the systems in the game, it is pretty straight forward. You can totally play as a casual player and get lots of enjoyment from the game. The community in this game is also pretty friendly to new people and are willing to help out if you have questions.

jonoki

Molten Core Raider
Bought the starter pack. Am gonna give it a go. If I get really into it, when would I need to buy Shadowbringers? Is that just story progression and end game or is it something I could take advantage of whenever?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Bought the starter pack. Am gonna give it a go. If I get really into it, when would I need to buy Shadowbringers? Is that just story progression and end game or is it something I could take advantage of whenever?
There's a few things you get instantly from the expansion, namely access to the expansion races for character creation(Aura which are dragon people, Viera rabbit girls and Hrothgar the lion guys). You do however get a Fantasia potion(a consumable you generally have to buy for real money) at the end of the lvl 50 MSQ which lets you redo your apperance completely including your race, so you could just switch to them later. Past that, you don't get a whole lot until you reach 50, the cap for the starter edition. You get access to deeper levels in palace of the dead but that's only going to be relevant for alt classes leveling and mostly as a DPS, so it's not super important.

So you can easily wait until you're basically at the end of the MSQ to buy the expansion. This will take quite a lot of time. At 50, you have the choice of either buying it right away to raise the cap, or continue questing(you'll "waste" a bunch of xp, but not that much). It's probably fine to figure out if you want the expansion at that point. You also get access to Samurai and Red Mage as soon as you hit 50(and they start at 50) so if you're interested in these you might want to buy the expansion when you hit 50 right away.

Worth noting, the game starts pretty slow, and while they said they're going to rework the leveling experience during this expansion, they haven't started and not sure 5.1(which should be at the end of the month) will bring anything relevant just yet.