Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Cybsled

The ARR/Vanilla MSQ trim will be post 5.1, so I wouldn't expect that until next year at the earliest.

Sneaky

Lord Nagafen Raider
I wasted some money buying the starter pack from steam, then realizing I may end up playing longer and trying to find the expansions for cheap.

Ended up buying the full edition for like 28€, but it wouldn't let me add it to my existing .. uhh .. how do they call it? service? subscription? Anyway. I had to basically register the new full edition with the same account that already had the steam-edition on it. Had some trouble with the game always asking me which subscription I was using on starting the game, until they changed it so you can only use your steam-service when running the game through steam. Which meant I had to redownload the whole damn game. But anyway, maybe someone can give you an advice on how to enable all expansions the cheapest way.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Buying the shadowbringers expansion gives you HW + SB + SHB. So all you need to do is add Shadowbringers to your Starter.

Also, always make sure you are buying the right platform for your account since Steam and regular PC editions do not mix.

ffxiv_options.jpg

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Buying the shadowbringers expansion gives you HW + SB + SHB. So all you need to do is add Shadowbringers to your Starter.

Also, always make sure you are buying the right platform for your account since Steam and regular PC editions do not mix.

View attachment 225758

S Sneaky
FFXIV has 4 Versions, PS4, Windows, Steam and Mac and they are not compatible what so ever if you buy one then that is the one you are stuck with.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sneaky

Lord Nagafen Raider
ah damn, didn't realize that :p I remember looking for that info, but not finding anything about that, too. (regarding Shadowbringers including all other XPs)

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Does the game still force you to go through the single player story starting from level 1 in order to actually unlock dungeons? This was my biggest gripe in the game added onto the fact that they gave you a communicator device (?Linkshell?) to talk to them (questgivers) from long distance but half the quests are courier type back and forth watch a cutscene bullshit. I'm constantly tempted to try this game out again after quitting right after Gold Saucer was released but the prospect of going through the story again is too much.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Does the game still force you to go through the single player story starting from level 1 in order to actually unlock dungeons? This was my biggest gripe in the game added onto the fact that they gave you a communicator device (?Linkshell?) to talk to them (questgivers) from long distance but half the quests are courier type back and forth watch a cutscene bullshit. I'm constantly tempted to try this game out again after quitting right after Gold Saucer was released but the prospect of going through the story again is too much.

No, but you can pay $60 to skip through the old story... but only up to the new story again.

Malakriss

The devs learned to stop doing that after ARR and they are working on a "fix" for ARR to remove all of the pointless back and forth but that's probably another 6 months out. Everything is still gated by MSQ introducing unlocks but the people come to you now.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>

Got a lot of story from gold saucer to current xpac...a lot of story...

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They're gonna be reworking the vanilla MSQ to be less shit during this expansion(but not right now, probably in ~6-10months it'll be ready), until then pretty much, have to do the story to unlock anything. Story is good though(well past some of the shittier parts in vanilla again) and you can technically pay to skip it, costs 22euros(I assume around 25bucks). Skipping the story still means you have to grind your levels though, although you can also buy a potion to skip that but it's a different potion.

I'd recommend waiting until the reworks to the original game are in and see what people say about it and if it's worth playing without skipping then. Or if you don't mind paying, you could buy the skips now and replay the story later since they're adding New Game+, which lets you replay the story at cap.

Barraind

Trakanon Raider
As someone who has seen dozens of people try this game and immediately get overwhelmed and quit here is my advice

4. Don't rush to endgame and do not buy class/MSQ skips. Every person I've seen buy a MSQ/class skip quits almost immediately because the game is not easy what so ever and you become straight up useless because they never learned how to play their class. Just take your time.

I agree with everything but this, and I dont disagree with this so much as have a caveat.

If you've played other MMO's, and you dont care about the story, but you do want to do raids and weekly grinds for the sake of grinding more, the cost of a story and level skip might be worth it for you.

I've had more EQ/WoW buddies quit because of the msq grind than have because the game was too complex (the last one hasnt talked to me since he said fuck it and gave up, because he wanted to just run dungeons and not slog through the fetch quests over and over and over), but that requires you spending a bit of time at 70 figuring out exactly what it is you just unlocked and what you need to do from there.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
They're gonna be reworking the vanilla MSQ to be less shit during this expansion(but not right now, probably in ~6-10months it'll be ready), until then pretty much, have to do the story to unlock anything. Story is good though(well past some of the shittier parts in vanilla again) and you can technically pay to skip it, costs 22euros(I assume around 25bucks). Skipping the story still means you have to grind your levels though, although you can also buy a potion to skip that but it's a different potion.

I'd recommend waiting until the reworks to the original game are in and see what people say about it and if it's worth playing without skipping then. Or if you don't mind paying, you could buy the skips now and replay the story later since they're adding New Game+, which lets you replay the story at cap.

Rework is coming in a few weeks

• 1Like

Cybsled

They mentioned new game plus wont be available for ARR in 5.1 because they are still working on the revamp of the ARR line

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Anyone interested in the new Ultimates? I got a group of 4/8 looking for a Non Gunbreaker a Non White Mage and two Melee DPS.

Figure we could do some savage wednesday if you've already cleared titan.

Malakriss

October 17 - Halloween event starts, new mount

5.1 dungeon sets

_dbHwTy9a5B4MckMdZuu02F8f8.jpg

Windows 7 news
Square Enix support for the Windows® 7 of FINAL FANTASY XIV will end on January 14, 2020.

Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or support for PCs running Windows® 7 after January 14, 2020, so we have found that continuing support for this operating system is a difficult proposition.

You will likely be able to play FINAL FANTASY XIV on Windows® 7 systems even after the end of support. However, after we discontinue support, we will as a general rule no longer be able to provide support for problems arising as a result of the operating system.

Last edited:
  • 1Rustled

Daidraco

I mean honestly, I dont care... I'll just bite the bullet and upgrade to the version I use at work. But f'k all if I dont feel like Im gaining jack and shit when I think about doing it. I dont care about 99% of the "upgrades" the newer operating systems have. I liken it to the new Iphone and how I have not cared about updating my phone since the 6S. It does everything I need and want it to do. The same with the operating systems. /rant

In other news, I like that dungeon set for some of the pieces. But I luv' ma' plate!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Microsoft dropped support for Win7, no reason why anyone should officially keep supporting it too. As they say it doesn't mean it'll stop working, just if you don't have the libraries to run some shit because MS didn't make a win7 patch for them, then you'll have to figure out how to install them yourself and support won't help you, which seems fair tbh. I made the switch to Win10 when I bought this new PC a bit over a year ago and honestly it wasn't that bad, there's a few annoying things but having bought the pro version I can prevent it from trying to update at random times and all the other shit that sounded horrible, and it does a few things nicely, including loading a lot faster.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I mean honestly, I dont care... I'll just bite the bullet and upgrade to the version I use at work. But f'k all if I dont feel like Im gaining jack and shit when I think about doing it. I dont care about 99% of the "upgrades" the newer operating systems have. I liken it to the new Iphone and how I have not cared about updating my phone since the 6S. It does everything I need and want it to do. The same with the operating systems. /rant

In other news, I like that dungeon set for some of the pieces. But I luv' ma' plate!

Ok grampa.

Let's keep using decade old already discontinued software because I don't "feel" like the "upgrades" are worth it.

$1 bet you are a Boomer.

• 1Worf

Malakriss

Windows 7/8 Home versions weren't a problem, but Win10 Home is. I know plenty of people who would have done the free upgrade if you could change to 10 Pro but since that wasn't an option they stuck with what they had.

Win7 towers with a 1080 card that can run this game and everything else perfectly will abruptly be cutoff in 3 months and then 8.1 will in 2023. Nothing is obsolete they simply want to force everyone to 10 (despite vendors selling 7 on laptops and such all the way through 2018)

Kantern

Silver Knight of the Realm
Not sure how common knowledge this is but you can still upgrade 7 to 10 with the Windows 10 upgrade tool for free. You can also use a Windows 7 key to install Windows 10 clean and it will activate with digital license. So if you need Pro get a dirt cheap Windows 7 pro key and not 10.