Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Goonsquad Officer
I'm going to give this another try and see if I can't make a real go of it this time. I always tend to lose motivation around level 30 or so in the MSQ. I just keep hearing all of the expansion stuff is so cool. Any good written noob guides out there that are kept current? Just looking for something that will give me an idea of what's worth doing from the old expansions, if anything. Like, should I be doing some of the older trials or relic weapon stuff that I see people talking about, or just skipping that?
Pure msq till you finish stormblood. Then ease into shadoebringers while playing with side content like boojas. Unlock mount. Do saucer achievements if you want some vanity items
Daily msq for some tomes to fill out yoir gear as you go.

"Blue" quest icons unlock new content. Some times raids. Some times nee mini games or beast tribes.

You can do beast tribe dailies if you are feeling froggy

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I just keep hearing all of the expansion stuff is so cool. Any good written noob guides out there that are kept current?
What ... said. Additionally do your job quests every 5 levels.

Keep an eye on the content unlocks. Important ones:
  1. Challenge Log (level 15, gives Gil and XP)
  2. Chocobo Companion (level 30)
Do yourself a favor and don't unlock Aurum Vale. At least not at first. It will be added to the daily roulette, and it eats pickup groups and newbies for breakfast.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Be sure too start on a server that gives the Road to 70 buff... You'll Outlevel the MSQ really really quick with it, and with DC visitation coming soon(Rumors are 5.58, it won't matter what Data Center you are on)

Goonsquad Officer
Try to keep 2 or more classes "leveled up" thr main story quest is an xp hose. You can do turn ins as healer , but dungeons as tank for example

• 1Like

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Do yourself a favor and don't unlock Aurum Vale. At least not at first. It will be added to the daily roulette, and it eats pickup groups and newbies for breakfast.
Since the skill reworks and low level reworks Aurum is fine in roulette. That advice is from like 6 years ago.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Finished the 15 ARR alliance runs and got 3 out of 18 of the next step quite fast from fates.

Do you need to redo the alliance raid part for a new relic weapon for another job?

If so the the DNC will be my only relic. Will probably switch to reaper anyway if it plays nice.

Ceowulff

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can you level to max as a solo / duo right now or will you miss out on a ton of stuff if you dont group up? Also any thoughts on the best duo for being able to do the most content atm?

Cybsled

Everything in this game is MSQ gated. If one of you are a tank or healer, then dungeon queues will be faster on average. But you’ll have to queue and run those with other people

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can you level to max as a solo / duo right now or will you miss out on a ton of stuff if you dont group up? Also any thoughts on the best duo for being able to do the most content atm?
Like any game, tanks have the fastest queues when you need them for the story and are good deeps in the open world. Other than that, pretty much all the dps pair well with tank. Would probably stay away from summoner. The one I found the most fun to play is RDM but you don't unlock it until later. The most fun of the base dps classes is probably bard or monk.

Merrith

Finished the 15 ARR alliance runs and got 3 out of 18 of the next step quite fast from fates.

Do you need to redo the alliance raid part for a new relic weapon for another job?

If so the the DNC will be my only relic. Will probably switch to reaper anyway if it plays nice.

The 18 and 18 part is one time only.

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
You can cascade steps too. When you get to step 2, start a new one on step 1. When you get to 3 move them all up.

Note thst I just habe one currently done and one on step one. I tjink I have more than I need o fthe step 1 souls heh

Malkav

French Madman
Also, I remembered that Castrum now gives 5 of those memories you usually get from Crystal Tower. So it might me faster to try and catch Castrum when it's up.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Got 18 Haunting Memories of the Dying in maybe 2-3 hours. A drop every 3rd Fate it felt like on average. I rather do that than spam Alliance raids.

Chris

Potato del Grande
You can solo to max level pretty easily, you have to do 4 and 8 man instance content occasionally to unlock the next zone but you can just queue together.

Therefore a tank/healer combo would be the perfect duo to get quick 4 and 8 man queues.

Malkav

French Madman
Got 18 Haunting Memories of the Dying in maybe 2-3 hours. A drop every 3rd Fate it felt like on average. I rather do that than spam Alliance raids.

Good to know. I'm at 14/15 loathsome memories. Helped my brother get through CT raids last night so that was 3. Did alliance roulette (Syrcus) and 2 Castrum today and i'm almost done. Will just need run alliance roulette tomorrow and be done with that. Then it's off to doing boring Fates I guess.

Aazrael

Good to know. I'm at 14/15 loathsome memories. Helped my brother get through CT raids last night so that was 3. Did alliance roulette (Syrcus) and 2 Castrum today and i'm almost done. Will just need run alliance roulette tomorrow and be done with that. Then it's off to doing boring Fates I guess.
Got all of them now, went quite fast. Now I can farm the PoTD ones while leveling summoner.

Daidraco

One of the dungeons where Im typically still alive as a tank just soloing shit down while everyone else is dead. Zones not hard, just people are so f'n clueless. Just like that dungeon that has the moving wall on a bridge with bees where you have to move middle then to one side, then swap directions as the wall spins etc. Why shit like that is so hard for people, I will never know.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Aurum sucks. Don't pretend it doesn't hah. It's just a combination of mechanics that sound easy to explain or watch, but aren't as easy while it is going on for newer players. People will loot the fruit super early and then die. Even with visual aides, the upper 40s/early 50s you aren't quite in the situation where you get 1 shot typically if you F up. You can definitely be oneshot with the Cyclops hits depending on class.

It's just a lot of "new" types of mechanics in one place, that typically take 1-2 runs to pick up on completely. So if you get rouletted on it and you get a couple of newbies, be prepared to hard-carry or outright full wipe a couple of times (if you are the tank, you can possibly sidestep this, but otherwise expect some shit)

I mean, even after what, 7 years? People still don't know purple/blue vs. the chimera boss, and die to shit they shouldn't. It's just the nature of the beast.

• 1Like