Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Damn. Reached the gil cap, I guess? Only 300k on trial. They're really pushing me to activate, with no bank space via retainers, no marketboard, and 300k max coins lol. Guess my min maxing my free time ends here. Is there something I can spend gil on that I'll want later?
Well now we know why its taken you so long to just get through ARR.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Well now we know why its taken you so long to just get through ARR.

Huh? Why would being on the trial make you take longer to get through ARR?

I've been leveling different classes and learning the game. I haven't just only been doing main quests. I've been doing fates I come across and levequests and mining and dungeons etc. I'm not going to just skip everything I pass in a brand new game lol. Level 53 Pal, level 50 Scholar, level 30 Pug, 30 Thaum, 45 miner, etc. Tried fishing, cooking, and a bunch of other classes a little bit.

If I'm taking long because ARR is a steaming pile of garbage, and it's hard to force yourself to only do that. Also, it is really long. Here's my impression of an average ARR quest:

"oh what an interesting item. I don't know anything about it though. See my friend Bob 4 mountains over."

"Bob: huh, it sparkles! Nope, never heard of it, go see Tom on this other continent."

"Tom: fuck off mate, I'm hungry, go get me some meat, but not just any meat, only meat from the most northern peaks in our world."

Brings tom the meat "Tom: Oh, this old thing? I know somethin about it, but you'll do better asking Jerry. You can find him a few thousand miles west of here."

Worse is when they have you talk to somebody right next to them, and then back and forth, and it serves 0 story purpose. There's no reason these characters wouldn't just talk. Oh and instead of my 1 line quest dialogue example above, it's 20 lines from each character, and none of it is interesting or concise.

It's really, really bad.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

I've been leveling different classes and learning the game. I haven't just only been doing main quests. I've been doing fates I come across and levequests and mining and dungeons etc. I'm not going to just skip everything I pass in a brand new game lol. Level 53 Pal, level 50 Scholar, level 30 Pug, 30 Thaum, 45 miner, etc. Tried fishing, cooking, and a bunch of other classes a little bit.

I'm taking long because ARR is a steaming pile of garbage, and it's hard to force yourself to only do that.

Nothing wrong with this at all btw. It is kind of a balance, it really is useful to eventually push through to the end of ARR but there's definitely a lot to do and see out there.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This whole betrayal plot is hard for me to swallow seeing as how your character could reduce this entire palace to ashes in the blink of an eye.

Juvarisx

Florida
What a wonderful quest line, that is entirely optional. WoW would have had something 10000x less good and made it mandatory

hildy.png

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Lol the quality of voice acting the second you get in to heavansward is like night and day

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

Ya, they changed voice agencies between ARR and HW. You’ll eventuality notice Game of Thrones actors voices showing up lol

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Ya, they changed voice agencies between ARR and HW. You’ll eventuality notice Game of Thrones actors voices showing up lol

It's just a shame they didn't change out voice directors either. Square can make good voice actors still sound bad. Yet you can weeb out and hear recognizable japanese anime voice actors (Gaara and Yamato from naruto, Alucard from Hellsing off the top of my head) if you swap it to japanese audio and it just sounds vastly better in terms of production and effort from the cast. I don't get the same level of cringe when I play through games by rockstar or other games.

• 1Faggotry

Daidraco

If I'm taking long because ARR is a steaming pile of garbage, and it's hard to force yourself to only do that. Also, it is really long. Here's my impression of an average ARR quest:

"oh what an interesting item. I don't know anything about it though. See my friend Bob 4 mountains over."

"Bob: huh, it sparkles! Nope, never heard of it, go see Tom on this other continent."

"Tom: fuck off mate, I'm hungry, go get me some meat, but not just any meat, only meat from the most northern peaks in our world."

Brings tom the meat "Tom: Oh, this old thing? I know somethin about it, but you'll do better asking Jerry. You can find him a few thousand miles west of here."

Worse is when they have you talk to somebody right next to them, and then back and forth, and it serves 0 story purpose. There's no reason these characters wouldn't just talk. Oh and instead of my 1 line quest dialogue example above, it's 20 lines from each character, and none of it is interesting or concise.

It's really, really bad.
Was more pointing out that you're playing large amounts of the game in only the ARR areas. If you moved up to HW areas, at the very least, you would enjoy the game a lot more compared to the posts you have put up about how terrible it is. Course if you're just going to stay F2P, it doesnt quite matter.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Lol I see trying to do extreme shiva in the duty finder was a mistake

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Level synced extremes arent very random group friendly lol Everyone needs to know wtf they are doing.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This whole betrayal plot is hard for me to swallow seeing as how your character could reduce this entire palace to ashes in the blink of an eye.

My favorite parts are when they are worried someone will die/get killed while dozens of people are running around with a job who can resurrect within earshot.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Was more pointing out that you're playing large amounts of the game in only the ARR areas. If you moved up to HW areas, at the very least, you would enjoy the game a lot more compared to the posts you have put up about how terrible it is. Course if you're just going to stay F2P, it doesnt quite matter.
I wasn't aware I was allowed to go to HW whatsoever until I finished the stupid ARR? I bought complete, I was just being a nerd min maxing my free time. I'll probably activate now, cos of gil gap.

Regardless, I still have to do this ARR shit. Like, can't even get new Summoner spells cos it requires level 35 MSQ from ARR.

It's really too bad they haven't cut about 85% of this by now. If it's night and day better in the future, as everyone says, they oughtta be working on that to capitalize on WoW refugees.

I'm still playing because the fundamentals are there, and I love how lots of things look, and I trust the opinion of many people that have said it's a really good game, so it makes it frustrating to be forced through such utter drudgery first.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
What a wonderful quest line, that is entirely optional. WoW would have had something 10000x less good and made it mandatory

Hildi bitch-slapped Dalamund(Bahamut) before it was cool in 1.0 just what a fucking legend.

Here is the Hildi quests from before ARR...

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I can imagine the mentor screaming out loud, in their head, and while typing in response to this.

I DF’d all my ARR extremes. The tears of the mentors sustained me. And honestly? None of them took more than a couple of attempts. I had everything looked up online anyway. The couple who didn’t, a few instructions and they were good to go. Would have probably gone faster if the mentors didn’t constantly throw a fit and not actually just help.