Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
WoW has its place, but Blizzard could learn a thing or two from FFXIV about showing queues and telegraphs accurately. It’s really nice being able to solo fates in south shore on random Fates just because you can figure out the NPCs queues easily.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
To be fair, WoW could use a system like that. Preach did a video recently about not attacking mobs from the front as a melee DD.

WoW would probably be better if every expansion had a tutorial where you were instructed to not stand in shit, dodge telegraphed moves, protected the healer and assisted the tank.

Goonsquad Officer
i felt like the hand holding went on a bit too long, but i will hand it to them that when you open a new game system (like the eureka magicka board for example) some npcs talk about how it works till you realllly understand it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Ok I will buy this. See you in this crazy place soon enough! While I enjoyed leveling in TBC alliance for my first time... the closer I get to the TBC rep grinds and remember them the more I don't look forward to it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Damn. Refund already complete. Okay, that's pretty impressive customer service speed.

• 1Like

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I ran into one of the poetics vendors. Are there more of them and/or is there like some recommended way to spend them? Or should I just buy gear I see that I need?

Malkav

French Madman
I ran into one of the poetics vendors. Are there more of them and/or is there like some recommended way to spend them? Or should I just buy gear I see that I need?

If you run roulettes you'll be drowning in poetics, so they are a good way to upgrae gear. They should be selling gear set for lvl50, 60 and 70.

Cybsled

Poetic vendors are usually level cap currency for past expansions, so you'll see them offer gear for 50/60/70/etc. Dont worry about spending them - if you need stuff, by all means buy it. It is also useful for quickly gearing your other jobs as needed. It's extremely easy to cap out on poetics, especially if you run daily roulettes. They're essentially a catch-up currency at this juncture.

Cybsled

WoW would probably be better if every expansion had a tutorial where you were instructed to not stand in shit, dodge telegraphed moves, protected the healer and assisted the tank.

Ya, one thing FFXIV does well is it teaches you a specific "dont stand in the fire" language and uses that language throughout the game. Orange patch on the ground? AOE zone indicator, dont stand on it. Burning fire arrows pointing at a target? Meteor type attack, stack up to mitigate the damage. Moving > symbols on the ground with a wind sound? Directional knockback in the direction of the arrows.

The game teaches you this very early and begins to slowly ramp up the complexity as you go. Even many raid/trial fights will have a quick "introduction to my mechanics" phase where the boss will start the fight off showing a few of their moves so you get an idea what the boss has for unique mechanics.

• 1Like

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
What do I need to know about my fighting chocobo. It has 1 skill point so far. Are those easily respeccable? Should I basically spec it into dps? How does it level etc.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
What do I need to know about my fighting chocobo. It has 1 skill point so far. Are those easily respeccable? Should I basically spec it into dps? How does it level etc.
It takes forever to level them. Put it all into healer is probably the play. You can respec them later for a relatively pricey item. But it’s not a big deal.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Chocobo's level up to 20 but you need to feed it a thavnairian onion for each level up past 10. HW quests will give you two for free and others are made by gardening. At max level they have enough points to max all roles.

Cybsled

If you are in a FC see if they have a choco stable, sometimes people are good about training them while they are stored there

• 1Like

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Why is it that I was able to max my Paladin quests right away, and get the ilvl 90 level 50 armor, but every other class seems to require massive MSQ progress? Is Paladin uniquely the only one that just lets you do it all right away or something?