Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Well that's nice. I somehow bought the US activation complete edition and not the EU, so it doesn't work. my god their account services SUCK DICK. The fact that I had to create 2 different accounts and kept getting rerouted to different shit. Why the fuck did it accept my EU billing? I swear I was on an EU site, but who fucking knows with how stupid their account services are when you need to make 2 different Square accounts.

Sigh. I'm guessing I'm SOL?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well that's nice. I somehow bought the US activation complete edition and not the EU, so it doesn't work. my god their account services SUCK DICK. The fact that I had to create 2 different accounts and kept getting rerouted to different shit. Why the fuck did it accept my EU billing? I swear I was on an EU site, but who fucking knows with how stupid their account services are when you need to make 2 different Square accounts.

Sigh. I'm guessing I'm SOL?
Nah, just ask them for a refund. Theyre pretty good about that stuff. I bought the wrong Shadowbringers when I was trying to get a complete edition for my g/f's and they refunded it within hours.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Nah, just ask them for a refund. Theyre pretty good about that stuff. I bought the wrong Shadowbringers when I was trying to get a complete edition for my g/f's and they refunded it within hours.
Alright I sent an email. Hopefully to the correct place, since there are about 6 different URLs. Annoyingly, it isn't on sale anymore, so yeah. I ended up submitting a ticket at pep-sqex-us.zendesk I guess. I think? who knows with the amount of URLS there are. Edit: omg it totally isn't the correct site, is it? Now I see there is another one under support.eu.squareenix. Do you remember where you had to get a refund?

Daidraco

Alright I sent an email. Hopefully to the correct place, since there are about 6 different URLs. Annoyingly, it isn't on sale anymore, so yeah. I ended up submitting a ticket at pep-sqex-us.zendesk I guess. I think? who knows with the amount of URLS there are. Edit: omg it totally isn't the correct site, is it? Now I see there is another one under support.eu.squareenix. Do you remember where you had to get a refund?
Its been quite a while, but I believe it was in through the Mog Station. Try this link. Make sure you're logged into Mog Station first.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Its been quite a while, but I believe it was in through the Mog Station. Try this link. Make sure you're logged into Mog Station first.

I'm worried they're not gonna do shit since I had to click the "unlock activation key" to get the key in the first place to type it in to redeem. Since that code is now "unwrapped." But thanks for the link, I'll send one there too.

Japan is so goddamn baffling. All their tech is like 20 years old. Those fuckers still fax and this support site looks like it was made in 2002.

Whelp, what do I spend my gil on in the meantime? Can't I just buy like 300k of dark matter or whatever, or something similar?

What are the legit cdkey sites nowadays? guess I have to buy an eu edition on one of those. Ain't payin full price when it was literally just on sale. cdkeys dot com has it still for the sale price. Anyone know if that place is good?

Last edited:

Daidraco

Ive bought from Cdkeys before. Basically anyone thats been around for a while is at least more trustable than someone that hasnt. Got burned on some Total War Warhammer stuff a while ago cause I bought keys from some shit webisite Id never heard of before. The keys worked for steam, but a month later - steam nuked every key I bought from the place and the website was ghosted. Just glad I didnt buy more than a few bucks worth.

I unwrapped the key for my g/f's expansion as well, even though they said dont - they still refunded it. Might have just been a nice person on the other side of the emails, but its still worth a shot.

Merrith

I always hear the VA is better in Japanese from certain people, but it's never felt that way for me. I think that's mostly just certain people's personal preference who listen to everything with the Japanese VA when they can.

Cybsled

I personally like the English VA more, since you get a lot more variety in accents (or at least accents an English speaker is going to pick up on).

Also, the actual dialogue in the Japanese version is different than the English version. They make 2 scripts: Japanese and English. The French/German/etc all get translated from the Japanese script vs. the English one. However, even some people on the dev team seem to prefer the English script overall.

Characters are also completely different. Like Hauchefant is a hornball like Master Roshi in the Japanese version who just wants to get in your pants, whereas he is just a Bro in the English version lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Ive bought from Cdkeys before. Basically anyone thats been around for a while is at least more trustable than someone that hasnt. Got burned on some Total War Warhammer stuff a while ago cause I bought keys from some shit webisite Id never heard of before. The keys worked for steam, but a month later - steam nuked every key I bought from the place and the website was ghosted. Just glad I didnt buy more than a few bucks worth.

I unwrapped the key for my g/f's expansion as well, even though they said dont - they still refunded it. Might have just been a nice person on the other side of the emails, but its still worth a shot.
Hopefully they can just void the key, since it is still unused, and still refund me. And then I guess I'll just go buy an eu key from cdkeys dot com. God damn borders and shit. I'm always dealing with this shit with games, being an American that has moved back and forth between the US and the UK. Steam was a nightmare, Battlenet was rough. It's always somethin.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
It's gay as fuck you cannot make characters on the exp bonus server.
Just keep trying. That's what I did and eventually got in. Apparently try around 2am local time, or whatever. But I managed to get in around noon europe time on a bonus exp europe server.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Just keep trying. That's what I did and eventually got in. Apparently try around 2am local time, or whatever. But I managed to get in around noon europe time on a bonus exp europe server.
Yeah I'll try in the morning. It's just stupid.

Cybsled

Depends on how you define that

In terms of the game and its systems, it did feel overwhelming at first to me coming from WoW. There are all sorts of new systems and aspects of the game that you don't understand. The game does try to provide you with game guides when possible. Eventually I got the hang of it and people were willing to help when I asked questions.

The biggest adjustment I think is things tend to be gated by story vs. level right now. They accelerated XP in the earlier game, but you are still gated by the main story quest. This game is heavily a story based MMO. One person I watch on Twitch describes it as a RPGMMO vs a MMORPG - the Final Fantasy RPG aspect comes first. That throws some people off, because where you go and what you do are dictated by the story. Any dungeon or zone or whatever gets unlocked as the story requires it. The base game (A Realm Reborn, ARR) is older and the style of storytelling can feel dated/long winded in parts. It gets better the closer you get to Heavensward and in subsequent years, they've refined the story aspect much better

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
I want to get into this. Is it hard or annoying to get into?
it's not hard. the origional launch main story quest (and some other associated quests) are fetchy as fuck and the story, while some what interesting, drowns you in repetition to begin with. and some meh voice acting. but it lays the solid foundation for the story of hte following expansions which are much, much better in that respect.

they stop spoon feeding you,replace all the voice actors. the story gets punchier, and more interesting things happen.

you can play the trial up to heavensward (expansion 2) which is widely considered the second best expansion with a nice story. Its important to remember how old the core content is when you get told to go bring sacks of dog turds to a guy across the maps four times. it can feel dated but it builds nicely.

it can take a bit to sort out what class you want to play. i started as a summoner which i'm awful at. neat class, but i'm terrible so i settled on DK then gunbreaker.

Goonsquad Officer
Depends on how you define that

There are all sorts of new systems and aspects of the game that you don't understand.
oh yea, the game is pretty 'system/feature dense'. you constantly run into dudes with 'blue' quest markers. those 'unlock new game aspects' which can be new raids, new trials (stand alone boss fights), access to beast tribes (daily quest hubs), mini games (particularly in the gold saucer), or (i think?) new classes.

if you sort of focus on the main story, your class quests. some blue marker quests from time to time. and let the sheer magnitude of the broad features of the game wash over you, you can ignore most of them till you're comfortable. or burnt out listening to alphinaud.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
That throws some people off, because where you go and what you do are dictated by the story.
This is because people were trained by modern WoW game design to "rush to endgame," because that is "where the fun is" and "story doesn't really matter, only level+gear+borrowed power systems do."

If you compare the two games, I'd say WoW does his hardest to remove the RPG roots from MMORPG, while FFXIV goes full into it.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I want to get into this. Is it hard or annoying to get into?

I just showed up and despite not knowing fucking anything the game holds your hand through each step and new things unlock bit by bit so you aren't dealing with all their shit at once. Here's how the public quests work, let's introduce you to some of the tasks/dailies, here's how dungeons work, here's your mount, etc.

• 1Like