Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I can't access the beta forums whilst at work, but what you just posted there doesn't imply a weekend only test? Hopefully we're onto longer periods.
Actually what was linked is all it says, and it specifically mentions that the closing date of the next test will be communicated later on, so we don't know yet if it's a weekend. Since Duty Finder isn't ready from the looks of it, it's quite possible they'll extend the test until it is.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
From what I remember it wasn't too bad 1-50. You had a big cockblock of a level cap quest at 50 and then lesser cockblocks for the next 5 levels until Maat which was another huge cockblock.

The exp was fine, albeit at a more old school pace, from 1-50. It started getting much worse after that point. I believe the original game was only 1-50 or 1-60 but by the time it released in NA it had an expansion and was to 75.

I quit at some point in the 60s so some of this may be off. I'm pretty sure in the time you can go from 1-35 in this game I got maybe from 1-15. Not sure it's the best comparison.
At NA launch 1-15 easily took a couple days or more, so it makes sense. Let's not forget they basically started you out with shit gear and you were left to your own devices to make money and whatnot to get more gear. There weren't quests to get gear and stuff.

Meko

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The exp climb in FFXI initially was horrid. Once you got to level 10, it started ramping up and then at 51, it took a huge leap up (prior to them 'nerfing' the exp needed to level past 51). Also, that coupled with the unlocking quests that you had to complete to advance up to 75, it was awful but intense at the same time. So far in this beta, I haven't played a lot as I have a level 20 something legacy and a few others past 15 so I didn't want to burn myself on the quests and such. I did wonder, though, how secondary leveling would be handled in terms of the same fluidity as your initial leveling experience. Say what you will about the questing system but at least your second character has the same choices for exp growth as your first.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Actually what was linked is all it says, and it specifically mentions that the closing date of the next test will be communicated later on, so we don't know yet if it's a weekend. Since Duty Finder isn't ready from the looks of it, it's quite possible they'll extend the test until it is.
Hope so, would be nice to have all of Sunday to play.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Wish it was coming up today, have till Sunday off after today.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
This test might be longer. I don't see an end time listed on the beta forums like they usually have.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sounds like it's just going to run from the 5th to the 14th (end of P3), they want a long-term stability test of the servers.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like it's just going to run from the 5th to the 14th (end of P3), they want a long-term stability test of the servers.
Nice
smile.png
I am in P3 now as well. I am anxious to try this out.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Especially if the Duty Finder isn't going to be in right away they'll need some extended time. Good news though.

Vorph

Is the PS3 beta worth it. I got into beta but never played.
It's basically the same thing as the PC beta. Same characters, same servers, etc. Gameplay controls are excellent in it, but the usual downsides apply: typing into chat sucks ass unless you have a usb keyboard hooked up, and there's no voice comms built into the game so even if you're one of the few PS3 owners with a headset it won't do you any good. The graphics are a huge step down from the PC as well, so if you have a good PC you'd be much better off playing it there with a gamepad hooked up. (In case the email you got wasn't clear, your PS3 invite is good for PC as well.)

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
It's basically the same thing as the PC beta. Same characters, same servers, etc. Gameplay controls are excellent in it, but the usual downsides apply: typing into chat sucks ass unless you have a usb keyboard hooked up, and there's no voice comms built into the game so even if you're one of the few PS3 owners with a headset it won't do you any good. The graphics are a huge step down from the PC as well, so if you have a good PC you'd be much better off playing it there with a gamepad hooked up. (In case the email you got wasn't clear, your PS3 invite is good for PC as well.)
Speaking of this, how is the PC User Interface? I remember FFXI's being so horrible - if memory serves it was geared towards controller use. Did they get some work done on their UI?

Vasconcellos_sl

shitlord
The UI is definitely a proper PC UI, compared to the abomination that it was in 1.0
I tried PS3 version before I realized it was also valid for PC.
Boy, was that a huge suprise. Once you played on PC (average to decent spec) you will never want to return to PS3.

I actually love the current state of the game although I'm not very far in levels.

Vorph

Speaking of this, how is the PC User Interface? I remember FFXI's being so horrible - if memory serves it was geared towards controller use. Did they get some work done on their UI?
As others said, it's above average for a MMO that doesn't support add-ons. There's still a lot of places where extra mouse clicks/drags are required compared to a single button press on the gamepad though. Some of it is pretty dumb, like making you select the items you want to hand in for fed ex/bear-ass collection quests.