Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I might have to jump in and check things out again over the weekend. I haven't played since beginning of P2.
not much has changed since p2, id wait for p4 when the restrictions go away. Like people have said before here, 1-15 isnt very interesting and i have every intention of doing it as few times as possible.

on another note, how into this are you guys? do we have raiders, etc or are most people here more casual now that they are older.

ixian_sl

shitlord
As others said, it's above average for a MMO that doesn't support add-ons. There's still a lot of places where extra mouse clicks/drags are required compared to a single button press on the gamepad though. Some of it is pretty dumb, like making you select the items you want to hand in for fed ex/bear-ass collection quests.
It should be noted, though, that FFXIV will support add-ons.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
not much has changed since p2, id wait for p4 when the restrictions go away. Like people have said before here, 1-15 isnt very interesting and i have every intention of doing it as few times as possible.

on another note, how into this are you guys? do we have raiders, etc or are most people here more casual now that they are older.
Well the first time I played, I made it to the point where you leave the first town, I did one fate and logged out. That was the extent of my experience. If P4 is no-wipe status, I probably should check it out to see if I should bother playing some more before I buy it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
As others said, it's above average for a MMO that doesn't support add-ons. There's still a lot of places where extra mouse clicks/drags are required compared to a single button press on the gamepad though. Some of it is pretty dumb, like making you select the items you want to hand in for fed ex/bear-ass collection quests.
I played all last weekend with a PS3 controller (on PC) based on your feedback and from others. After a little learning curve and retraining of habits, it is actually extremely good. Navigating the menu took a little while and still isn't as fluid as say clicking 'C' maybe, but once you memorize the components it is pretty quick to Select, X, X, read, B, B, back to screen, or whatever... That sounds horrible, maybe someone else can eloquate (this isn't a word??) that better. The only thing that I have not quite smoothed out yet is fast target switching. For example if I pull heal aggro right at the very beginning, or am solo'ing, and need to quickly target a MOB to sleep. I think that left / right on the dpad should take care of this, but during last weekend it was still hit or miss. May need to adjust the filters and make sure the correct options are set.

But healing was sooooo much better. Having 'focus' targets and temp targets was just a much better experience than using mouse + kb. Maybe there is a way you can set up something similar, but as of now my plan is to use DS3 on release on PC. Other classes ymmv.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, filters are a must. Mine are like "All", "Engaged Enemies", "Friends" (for FATE healing outside of group), and I think the last one was just called "Other" by default.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There's a new post, apparently the Duty Finder will be in from the start of this test. They still haven't communicated an end date for this test however, so it's possible it'll last longer than usual still. They also released a video showing the duty finder.

It's basically what you'd expect, you queue as a certain class, when it pops you have to change back to the class you queued as(no carpenter tank), it's cross server and you can choose your languages so you can group with japanese or euro players which is nice if you play off hours, it teleports you inside the dungeon and teleports you back out when you exit and there's an option to join an instance that's already underway so if you don't care about the loot and just want quest completion for example you can do that and it'll join into an existing group that had a player that dropped. It also level syncs you down if you wanna do lower lvl content for whatever reason. Seems fairly complete and while it kinda kills community/sense of world etc etc, it's still nice to have I guess.

fletch101

Lord Nagafen Raider

Gotta love the hair.

It's too bad that if someone drops from your group for whatever reason, you still have to use the duty finder to replace them, since you won't be able to communicate with anyone you know, say, in your Company.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Cross game promotion:
Q9b8kvI.jpg

They also showed a lot of the zones that are not in the game yet in a PC/PS3 comparison fashion like the old ones, I guess it'll go up later today(was streamed live from japan expo), it had a scholar(but no combat), snowy zones, garland empire zones and cool stuff like that.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Am I the only one that tries to mouselook sometimes when watching video like this.
smile.png

fletch101

Lord Nagafen Raider
Am I the only one that tries to mouselook sometimes when watching video like this.
smile.png
Definitely not the only one. I also, still, after all these years, move and/or turn my RL head to see around corners and whatnot in games. I catch myself doing it all the time.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Really just tanks.

They can sub in for dps at low level but after 30 the difference started to get more pronounced

Noahx

N00b
2h tanks though? My first choice was bard but I'm not sure since I love tanking.
Yes, 2handed. Basically easier agro but you will take more damage. Not really sure how the WAR vs the PLD. As a Glad you have to toggle between targets to keep agro, but can survive larger pulls... or teach people soft targeting/paint by numbers marking.