Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
HW Relic is a grind, almost halfway with the Anima Growth. I bought 60 Umbrite and getting as much as I can of the Crystal Sand, just about to have it at 120 so I hope I get some good RNG on the second part.

I do all my dailiy roulettes for exp on my Warrior and that gives me a chunk of Poetics every day. But I don't grind much after that, a few dungeons gives 100 Poetics but I feel they are kinda slow.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
What exactly happened there?

Garleans via Ascians say it's caused by over summoning.

But then somewhere else I saw it was where the Allagans raised all those Heavensward floating islands from?

The Garleans Iron Fisted the area that was the burn, and tried too just straight up destroy the Beast Tribe, which was probably Emmets plan too prepare the world for another calamity or joining(whichever was planned).

Allagans used a different method for raising the islands of Azys La(which is the point of the aether fountains that are around the world, for instance the one in Azim steppe/Crystal Tower, which is used)

Now though it seems that these new towers that are popping up, that Fandaniel/Xeno built are doing the same thing with the Aether as mass summoning, it becomes "flat" and slowly starts eating the land into a barren desert.

I'm curios "who" the Sleeper is they are talking about, and the fact that Hydalean finally shows her self, and speaks with us(which she hasn't sense Dragonsong War) means things are moving behind the scenes...

Last edited:

Cybsled

Correction

The Burn was created by the Allagans when they raised Azys La - it took so much aether to do that, that it completely fucked the land. That is why when you run that dungeon, there is a bunch of buried Allagan tech at parts

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
HW Relic is a grind, almost halfway with the Anima Growth. I bought 60 Umbrite and getting as much as I can of the Crystal Sand, just about to have it at 120 so I hope I get some good RNG on the second part.

I do all my dailiy roulettes for exp on my Warrior and that gives me a chunk of Poetics every day. But I don't grind much after that, a few dungeons gives 100 Poetics but I feel they are kinda slow.
I use the duty finder for Alexander which usually gets me a bonus 100 (always newbies) everytime and only takes 5-6 minutes usually. Highly recommend this strategy. Just finished the umbrite portion myself.

• 1Like

Aazrael

I use the duty finder for Alexander which usually gets me a bonus 100 (always newbies) everytime and only takes 5-6 minutes usually. Highly recommend this strategy. Just finished the umbrite portion myself.
Ran a few Alexander 1 and 4 but zero new players sadly so kinda bad Tome yield. Hopefully I can luck out with some sprouts later.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Ran a few Alexander 1 and 4 but zero new players sadly so kinda bad Tome yield. Hopefully I can luck out with some sprouts later.
Ah shit sorry, mine is almost 90% new folks. I think 4 is used for the next part of the anima quest with the (light) I ran it 5-6 times and only got a single sprout, would shoot for 1-3

Aazrael

Ah shit sorry, mine is almost 90% new folks. I think 4 is used for the next part of the anima quest with the (light) I ran it 5-6 times and only got a single sprout, would shoot for 1-3
Had better luck today with bonus tomes from Alexander. After 60 of each item I'm at 188/240 so not the best RNG there. Will have to farm 10 of each I guess at least.

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
They have the game on sale at the moment. 60% off. Its about 25 bucks after taxes.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
They have the game on sale at the moment. 60% off. Its about 25 bucks after taxes.

So what is the verdict on this? Worth playing if I enjoyed WoW for a long time? Worth it if I mainly plan on playing solo? Do I miss out on a lot playing solo?

Janx

<Silver Donator>
So what is the verdict on this? Worth playing if I enjoyed WoW for a long time? Worth it if I mainly plan on playing solo? Do I miss out on a lot playing solo?
Yes. It will force you to group a few times to progress the story as some dungeons/raids are tied in.

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
it's best viewed as a 'mostly single player' final fantasy story game with heaps of side content, mini games, collectables, and transmog elements.

The story is really nice for an mmo, but the first game, ARR's content is kind of slow and plodding, like every other mmo of that era. it picks up greatly with HW. coasts in SB and gets great in SHB.

a pitfall for wow players is that it seems slow early on becaus they drip feed you abilities till your'e damn near 50, so t he first 30 levels or so you'll go in a dungeon going 1,2,3 1,2,3. though to be fair most of those 30 levels are MSQ and onlyh a couple of dungeons.

the raid game is very dificult at the high end, but rewards basically sleightly better gear than otherwise atainable and fancy transmogs.

the overall QoL on FFis very high in a lot of areas. you can dye anything, you can have all the classes on one character and swap on the fly. thte saucer is a ton of fun if you liek mini games. there's tons of collectables and side elements to loose yourself in.

i think the best way to play the game is to casually play the main story with frequent daliances into side content to amuse yourself when you're tired of fetching potatoes for hte poor and listening to alphie lecture everyone.

this is a good camparison video:

i can link class breakdowns, or early tips or whatever else if you end up giving it ago.

• 3Like

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Am bored. I certainly got my moneys worth for the $25 I paid for the free 40ish days. But I don't think I'll be subbing when it expires in a couple days. I can't really put my finger on why, but I just don't find it exciting to keep going.

I think letting players out level and out gear MSQ via duty finder/poetics is maybe a mistake though. shrug

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Oddly enough out of the blue I decided to catch up on this starting a couple of weeks back, with no knowledge of the hoopla going on with WoW (I haven't played since Legion) or the resurgence of interest in FF14. I'm still on Gilg from 2.0

I don't play it much because there's only so much cutscene-watching a man can take, but all that verbose yammering does eventually pay off.

I had last played about 4 years ago so I dropped in at 4.1 or 4.2 in the MSQ. I've just started Shadowbringers and still have sigma & alpha to clear whenever.

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's a single player RPG and an MMO rammed together.

You can watch all the cutscenes and enjoy the single player RPG, but the first part "A Realm Reborn" is a bit slow. "Heavensward" is the first expansion and is one of the best MMO story/expansions of all time. Both of these are free to play. Grouping for story dungeons and raids is done for you with an automatic group finder.

If you want an MMO you can skip most of the cutscenes, makes the story a bit fetch questy, but you got way more PvE MMO content than WoW has once you do the story to unlock it all.

We have a guild on Gilgamesh but if you do a different server on the Aether datacenter you can join the chat channel and visit Gilgamesh to group up. Cactuar is the Asmongold server.

• 3Like

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Best new* feature for returning players: Duty finder options (gear icon top left) - an option near the bottom, I forget how it's worded, but it makes duty roulette only give you dungeons and stuff within 10 levels of the lowest person you are matched with. This way you are less likely to get stuck slogging through some poorly scaled seven year old turd of a zone.

*New somewhere in the last four years

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users