Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
I do think there's a subset of Legacy players that may be salvageable once they learn how to play with a battle system that isn't designed by a moron.

One of the guys I played with a fair amount on my server had a couple 50s in the original game. Difference being he leveled up a guy from scratch in this one.

^no voice chat in game

Draynar_sl

shitlord
Lotta legacy hate gotta be fact just because they have a 50 doesn't mean they know how to play this new game at all. Will take awhile to learn new mechanics if they haven't yet.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
Fuck. Lazy Sunday and what I really want to be doing right now is playing FFXIV, preferably a version that isn't going to delete my characters.

blah.

Mazim

Any legacy player most of you are playing with was not good in 1.0 either. Most at least decent legacy players have an established name, guild, and won't be seeing any of you through the duty finder.

Sythrak_sl

shitlord
A good portion of the NA playerbase in 1.0 were just god awful, but that's a given considering the game was shit for so long that most of the skilled players left a long time ago. Those of us that stuck with it generally only logged in when a new patch hit, farmed it till we got whatever we wanted, then logged off for another month.

Not that it matters, most of you won't be on a legacy server anyway.

tower

I have Armorer at 30 and so far crafting seems utterly pointless. It's not usually my thing anyway but with little else do in the beta I figured I'd give it a try. Just seems like a massive time sink for sidegrades at best.

The materia system is a huge pain too. You have to be equal or better level to the gear you're affixing AND it has to be an item from your craft (so Armorer for plate gear, Goldsmithing for Jewelry, Weaver for clothies and crafting gear, etc).

Morn

Molten Core Raider
I have Armorer at 30 and so far crafting seems utterly pointless. It's not usually my thing anyway but with little else do in the beta I figured I'd give it a try. Just seems like a massive time sink for sidegrades at best.

The materia system is a huge pain too. You have to be equal or better level to the gear you're affixing AND it has to be an item from your craft (so Armorer for plate gear, Goldsmithing for Jewelry, Weaver for clothies and crafting gear, etc).
Can you affix items for other players? or Only your own gear? This may have been mentioned elsewhere and I missed it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Equal level trade skill gear was better than dungeon dropped, the key seems to be doing the HQ versions. Normals didn't seem worth it. There is a massive amount of interdependence between then also to get the HQ mats. I really hate TS, but can see gathering being worth it for some extra gil or to help your guild crafters. You can't currently slot other materia but they are supposed to be implementing it in release.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
It really comes down to making leveling -other- characters more smooth than normal. Since there are gaps in levels between dungeons, unless all you do is run them to get green+ items consistently, you can shorten the amount of time you need to spend in them vs. doing other things by having HQ versions of items made. This makes it easier on DPS type classes that are in generally lower demand compared to tank/healer classes to gear up sufficiently to push past story/class quests as well as contribute more to groups when they do get them. I wouldn't put it past SE to require certain crafted items to spawn rare mobs or to be used in high end highly useful item quests just because. Especially given the pain in the ass system used in FFXI.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
How the hell do they communicate on the console version then? Keyboard support + a whole bunch of mute motherfuckers?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
In that chat interface, you can select specific words that will display, and can use them to make rudimentary sentences, sort of. It's why you see the words with the little arrow brackets around them in chat occasionally. That's the international chat system that translates whatever you select into words for other regions, as well as allowing console players to communicate to a degree with PC players. Some will have keyboards, but for the most part expect console players to be pretty silent if they aren't using macro'd international chat statements.

tower

Equal level trade skill gear was better than dungeon dropped, the key seems to be doing the HQ versions. Normals didn't seem worth it. There is a massive amount of interdependence between then also to get the HQ mats. I really hate TS, but can see gathering being worth it for some extra gil or to help your guild crafters. You can't currently slot other materia but they are supposed to be implementing it in release.
For HQ versions? Sure, but that's difficult to pull off with the mats required for some of these unless you're 5-10 levels above the requirement.

I don't see any reason to bother with it until you're max level. And even then it remains to be seen what the itemization is like end game.

If they removed the vendor gear you could buy that is basically the same as the crafted gear that would help crafting a bit since then you'd only have crafting to fill in gaps for gear you didnt get from dungeons or quests.

tower

How the hell do they communicate on the console version then? Keyboard support + a whole bunch of mute motherfuckers?
You know how a lot of RPGs from Japan feature characters that rarely say more than "..." ?

Welcome to the MMO version!

---

I think the PS3 players have some method of typing because I've spoken to a few without the canned messages. They just respond extremely slowly so there must be an interface where you have to manually select characters to write.

Either that or it took them a long time to hook up their keyboards.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The standard PS3 d-pad keyboard UI pops up if you hit X while selecting the chatbox. It's slow as hell, as you'd expect, though it does have word suggestions to speed it up a little bit. I can't imagine playing the PS3 version without getting a wireless USB keyboard to use with the Direct Chat option.