Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Beta Test Phase 3 Schedule (07/08/2013)
Thank you for your participation in the beta test for FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.

The testing schedule is detailed below.

Dates and Times
July 10, 2013 (Wednesday), 2:00 a.m. to July 15 (Monday), 2:00 a.m. (PDT)
July 10, 2013 (Wednesday), 9:00 a.m. to July 15 (Monday), 9:00 a.m. (GMT)
* Beta test phase 3 will conclude on Monday, July 15th. The beta test phase 4 schedule will be announced at a later time.
* Testing of the new Lodestone will conclude on Wednesday, July 17th at 2:00 a.m. (PDT) / 9:00 a.m.(GMT). Please note that the new Lodestone will be inaccessible when testing has ended.

Beta test phase 3 will conclude on Monday, July 15th.

Character Data From Beta Test Phase 3
All character data will be deleted at the end of beta test phase 3. Although character data from Version 1.0 will also be deleted, data from the final save on October 31, 2012 will be transferred again at the beginning of beta test phase 4.

The Beta Test Phase 3 Client
The client for beta test phase 3 cannot be used for beta test phase 4 or official service. Please delete the client at the end of this beta test phase.

Character Appearance Data
Character appearance data saved during beta test phase 3 can be used when creating a character during beta test phase 4 and official service. Those who wish to use their appearance data should not delete the following folder:
Windows
My Documents -> My Games -> FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn (Beta Version)
PlayStation?3
(From "XMB") Game ? Saved Data Utility (PS3TM)

* Save data cannot be used after phase 4, and can safely be deleted.
Those who do not intend to use character appearance data from beta test phase 3 may delete this folder. However, windows users should please note this folder also contains screenshots. Please move any screenshots you wish to save to a separate location before deleting this folder.

Linking Square Enix Accounts to Sony Entertainment Network Accounts
Square Enix accounts linked to Sony Entertainment Network accounts during beta test phase 3 will be unlinked at the end of testing.

Beta Test Phase 4
Details on the beta test phase 4 schedule, testing scope, and client will be announced at a later time.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...w710gmNjQ/edit

also some notes on what the release schedule looks like

KHI: Do you plan to add more endgame content for hardcore gamers at launch?

NY: Do you mean, for example, PvP?

KHI: Yes.

NY: For the launch, there will be a huge raid, and there will also be pre-required battle content in order to take that raid on, so hardcore gamers can see for themselves how challenging it can be. In v2.1 we are going to introduce the first PvP content, which is another world first announcement, and a new raid.

Also from 2.1 version, we are going to introduce daily quests towards the endgame, this is going to be related with the beast tribes and the Primals, and we will explain to the players why they're doing this and how they are going to do this.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Did they disable posting in off beta time? I was able to reply, etc.. yesterday but now all of a sudden cannot. No e-mail about being suspended or anything either.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Tough decision for 2.1

Daily quests would make me quit out of principle by themselves but PvP might keep me around a bit if it isnt pants on head stupid like FFXI

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
Already in with Leve's just gives us another way to level our other classes.
Let me clarify. I don't have a problem with leves because leves aren't a forced progression mechanic. You can ignore leves and not end up with a gimped character because of it.

The concept of "dailies" in most other games ends up as a fuck you in the ass forced progression mechanic. In where if you don't do the same set of 15-20 quests every day for 1-2 months, you end up with a gimped character as a result. That's what I don't want to deal with on any level whatsoever. Anything that players get from dailies should be something they can get in abundance elsewhere so that they're not mandatory. Mandatory dailies fucking suck.

Roxette_sl

shitlord
Do not want dailies.
I hate dailies too... but if I am working on dailies while also working on experience for another job... then in a way I am not just grinding for exp since I am also being productive at the same time.

But... I hate dailies with a passion as well, but this could be a smidge better than dailies that we have seen in other games. For me, it depends on how it plays in the game.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There's dailies and then there's things you can do once a day. I'm hoping for the latter.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So I was able to play this on Friday night. Overall the game is very pretty graphically. From a game play perspective it's a lot of more of the same. I have been hearing the 1-15-20 game is horribly boring. I only made it up to level 8-9 I think on my Gladiator. Runs very well and everything seems fairly well optimized. I liked the random events. Pretty much just like GW2's though.

The side quests were fairly straight forward collect this and kill that. The user interface is still a bit retarded, but better than most Japanese developed games on the PC. Heads and beyond better than FX11's. With that said I was skipping past all the side quests and paying attention to the main quest as well as I could have. It isn't that it may not be decent... But I couldn't get into it. I just didn't care, and I had flashbacks to Rift. I would guess this is also part of not following the franchise at all.

Overall it isn't anything different. (At least in the first 8-9 levels I played...) It's a blend of stuff that is out there now.

Probably worth the GMG purchase if you bought it for $22.99, but I do not think it is subscription worthy. Should have been buy to play with a higher box charge.

Syia_sl

shitlord
I didn't see this posted, but I might have glanced over it:http://rainyautumnskies.wordpress.co...an-expo-paris/

Some tidbits from the interview I found a bit disappointing:

Chuki (JOL): A more technical question about the Global Cooldown (GCD). Some players think that it?s way too long and it should be reduced to 1.5s to make the game faster rather than only press one button, wait 2.5s, press another button. Do you have any plans to address that problem?

NY: Actually at the moment we are fine with it, some players might feel it?s just too easy but we?d like them to consider the real beginners. With this kind of content, it can be easy, yes, but now it?s only beta 3, then up to level 50 it can become really tricky, especially the endgame content. I?m actually concerned that it might be too quick, it should be challenging for the players.

If some people think that 2.5s is too long, they might not be using their ability as much as they should, not in an efficient way. If you use your abilities properly you can bring damage to the battle, if you fight on your own it is alright to just do it, but if you are fighting with companies in multiplayers, if you are not doing it properly, the other players might think that you are doing something wrong. Make sure you use your abilities in a correct way to bring more damage.
I haven't seen anything up to 35 to indicate that combat will become hard. On pugilist, the combat was incredibly simple, albeit sometimes annoying with the positional system. Also, skill speed is near useless for every class because of how poorly it scales. I guess ~ 2.3-2.5s GCD is what we're stuck with.

Chuki (JOL): About the Limit Break system, the thing is that players are a bit disappointed with it, some players are selfish and just press the button whenever it?s available and they?d rather have some individual Limit Break AND a group Limit Break they can use in very important situations, that would make things fairer for everyone.

NY: Actually I have no intention to introduce individual Limit Break because that?s no different from another Weapon Skill apart from flashier effects; I don?t think there?s a problem for people to press the Limit Break button up to Lv50. We specially designed it so you can just go ahead and press it, it doesn?t have to be necessary to use Limit Breaks. However, in the more difficult battles you will have to consider when to use them, which one to use, which level, which action, that?s going to come up when we introduce the endgame content. From Lv50 onwards, we?ll have to make sure you use them at the right time, but before Lv50 just try your own Limit Break and see what kind of effect it has.
Limit breaks aren't a game changer for me, but they're one dimensional right now.

This game should get applause for its world design, story, sound, and content flexibility, but it's going to get killed in reviews about combat mechanics.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Let me clarify. I don't have a problem with leves because leves aren't a forced progression mechanic. You can ignore leves and not end up with a gimped character because of it.

The concept of "dailies" in most other games ends up as a fuck you in the ass forced progression mechanic. In where if you don't do the same set of 15-20 quests every day for 1-2 months, you end up with a gimped character as a result. That's what I don't want to deal with on any level whatsoever. Anything that players get from dailies should be something they can get in abundance elsewhere so that they're not mandatory. Mandatory dailies fucking suck.
I call bullshit here. You only have 3 storyline quests, so if you're leveling more than 3 classes (and you should) you can't ignore Leves. They are required to level off classes for abilities. Dailies will [probably] be the same thing.

Roxette_sl

shitlord
Do not want PVP. Just once I'd like a MMO dev to have the balls to say, "PVP is the reason you can't have nice things, and we're just not bothering with the shit."
So, I may have read wrong but I thought that PvP was going to use a seperate rule-set from PvE?

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
I call bullshit here. You only have 3 storyline quests, so if you're leveling more than 3 classes (and you should) you can't ignore Leves. They are required to level off classes for abilities. Dailies will [probably] be the same thing.
Hitting level 15 is an annoying 6 hours, but after that you can just dungeon grind forever (and not use leves).