Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
So I was able to play this on Friday night. Overall the game is very pretty graphically. From a game play perspective it's a lot of more of the same. I have been hearing the 1-15-20 game is horribly boring. I only made it up to level 8-9 I think on my Gladiator. Runs very well and everything seems fairly well optimized. I liked the random events. Pretty much just like GW2's though.

The side quests were fairly straight forward collect this and kill that. The user interface is still a bit retarded, but better than most Japanese developed games on the PC. Heads and beyond better than FX11's. With that said I was skipping past all the side quests and paying attention to the main quest as well as I could have. It isn't that it may not be decent... But I couldn't get into it. I just didn't care, and I had flashbacks to Rift. I would guess this is also part of not following the franchise at all.

Overall it isn't anything different. (At least in the first 8-9 levels I played...) It's a blend of stuff that is out there now.

Probably worth the GMG purchase if you bought it for $22.99, but I do not think it is subscription worthy. Should have been buy to play with a higher box charge.
Biggest downside to the game is that the 1-15 play is a bit boring. Once you start getting into the more entertaining story quests (ie: Irfit) and more indepth dungeons, things get a lot more fun.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I haven't seen anything up to 35 to indicate that combat will become hard. On pugilist, the combat was incredibly simple, albeit sometimes annoying with the positional system. Also, skill speed is near useless for every class because of how poorly it scales. I guess ~ 2.3-2.5s GCD is what we're stuck with.
this is my biggest worry about FFXIV. For almost every concern voiced, the devs answer is "oh, it will be better endgame". Well thats awfully convenient since you wont show us level 50 content.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
My biggest problem 1-15 was the quest grind. I'm pretty sure the only reason that stopped after 20ish is because it isn't the game yet so I'm not entirely sure it will get better come Phase 4 and release.

Draynar_sl

shitlord
I haven't seen anything up to 35 to indicate that combat will become hard. On pugilist, the combat was incredibly simple, albeit sometimes annoying with the positional system. Also, skill speed is near useless for every class because of how poorly it scales. I guess ~ 2.3-2.5s GCD is what we're stuck with.
I'm confused if you really played pug to 35 you'd notice pugilist gc gets below 2.25 with just 2 stacks of greased lightening. at 3 i imagine it's at 2.18 or so base. At that level you're also keeping up 2 buffs on pugi and a dot with your rotation and position changing depending on each for optimal dps. (keeping up greased lightening, twin snakes, the touch of death and demolish dots on bosses) then at 50 you're adding the blunt debuff.

I know at 18-23 rotation was simply but engaging and could be dropped. (For boss) bootshine, twin snakes side, snap punch side, touch of death, bootshine back, true strike back, snap punch side. Repeat while keeping dot up.

What exactly would make that more hard/fun without just be over kill? Even have our situational crit buff/evade if you pull agro and a self heal on pugi alone. Can also pull in other +damage +crit skills to increase dps when you need from other classes.

Guess I'm just missing what complexity other mmo's have that FF14 is missing with just your class skills in the 20-30's?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well combat certainly won't magically be different when you acquire most abilities at low level and a lot of job abilities are situational and/or cooldown heavy, combat at 30 is for all intent and purposes what it's gonna be at 50 and since there is no "renkei" or group limit breaks or anything, being in a raid probably won't have any effect on the combat other than using group abilities properly. I think the combat is ok so I'm fine with it but if you hate the combat in the current beta content it's unlikely it'll get better at 50. Only the encounters should get better, hopefully but that's about it. That's why his interview comment on the combat sounds like bullshit, it's very easy to know right away what you're gonna use next on most classes, regardless of being at endgame or not, because there's very little stuff you want to use reactively anyway. The dragoon combos or monk combos are always the same, you always do them, and sometimes you have to pop a self heal or pop your cooldowns cause it's the burn phase or whatever but that's the same shit. I think the longer GCD is really more about the combat being more "relaxed" and easier to process for terrible people.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The first content release shouldn't be giving 20% GCD reduction to all classes. There's no possible way that can scale without massive inflation and stat readjustment

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I really fear for the unbeta tested levels. Those areas are always filled with unbalanced, exploitable garbage. People will hit 35 in X amount of time and then shoot up to 50 in a ridiculously short amount of time.

It's like that in every single game where they arbitrarily cap the levels on the beta test.

Draynar_sl

shitlord
Ya i think if you don't like combat by 20-22 you won't like combat period. Each class has about 3-5 rotations they do depending on target and their goal. Tanks are doing either single target or aoe target enmity building,

Dps is doing single target trash, single target boss or aoe rotations. Rotations seem to use about 3-6 skills each and depending on class can be positional per skill. Then you have all the 60-300 sec oh shit clickies.

In reality it's a very engaging system were if you just stand there just doing your highest potency combo only you'll do shit damage compared to guy keeping his buffs/debuffs/combos going and doing his positions for each attack. (at least compared to any other mmo out) If you were expecting God of War combat or FPS combat it simply isn't what this game is doing.

Draynar_sl

shitlord
I really fear for the unbeta tested levels. Those areas are always filled with unbalanced, exploitable garbage. People will hit 35 in X amount of time and then shoot up to 50 in a ridiculously short amount of time.

It's like that in every single game where they arbitrarily cap the levels on the beta test.
In that situation they'd wipe into release which is probably why they left that open as an option going into release. Lets hope not!

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In that situation they'd wipe into release which is probably why they left that open as an option going into release. Lets hope not!
given that their latest beta schedule announcement included a "testing scope tba" for phase 4, im not encouraged that we will see the higher levels during it.

tower

The classes theyre adding that havent been tested are going to be an even bigger shitfest. They're either going to be brokenly overpowered or total shit. My guess is total shit.

tower

given that their latest beta schedule announcement included a "testing scope tba" for phase 4, im not encouraged that we will see the higher levels during it.
Well, aside from the fact that we've all seen everything there is 1-35 this wouldn't be a bad idea. If this phase had been OB and we kept these characters for a release of next week with headstart on Wednesday I would be perfectly fine with it.

As is, there will be a lot of people getting burned out before the game even officially goes live.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
On Dailies: So far, the only currencies I've seen in game is the regular old coin currency and the grand company currencies, which can be earned through a variety of means. Also, unless it is fairly behind the scenes (minus the star rating for teleports that reduces the cost by a % from doing quests in an area) there aren't really factions in the traditional sense. The problems with dailies in other games (specifically WoW/Rift etc) is that the dailies are usually tied to a faction grind or alternate currency grind, which has fairly substantial gating concepts attached to it. Either completely barring access to content unless you get enough faction (with Dailies being the primary source of said faction) or having the currency fuel progression in a way that makes it borderline required. FFXIV lacks both those types of situations, so far, so I don't think dailies would have the same impact. More like putting a lockout timer on doing a dungeon/quest/leve than actually being one of the much maligned dailies of yesteryear.

Granted, this is just guesswork, but it really doesn't look like the basic foundation that makes dailies so retarded in other games exists in FFXI. The closest would be grand company symbols, which can be gained many other ways than limited daily faction grinds.

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
So then why would repeatable quests from 5-15 not be a good idea?
What the fuck type of strawman are you trying to attack here? Do you even hear yourself?

When a game says,"Hey, we're adding DAILIES", how does that translate in your mind to level 5-15 quests. Lets add daily quests for a period of time that lasts all of < 6 hours!!!111. Sorry, that's not how it works. Daily quests are an end game thing, not a leveling thing.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
What the fuck type of strawman are you trying to attack here? Do you even hear yourself?

When a game says,"Hey, we're adding DAILIES", how does that translate in your mind to level 5-15 quests. Lets add daily quests for a period of time that lasts all of < 6 hours!!!111. Sorry, that's not how it works. Daily quests are an end game thing, not a leveling thing.

When a game says,"Hey, we're adding DAILIES", how does that translate in your mind to end game thing. It was done in WOW that way and other games emulated it so everyone else is going to be forced to emulate it that way too.

Why can't daily quests be a leveling thing? Why can't a set of daily quests specific to a smaller quest hub be available once a day? More so, what's the fucking problem (or your problem, rather) with dailies if they aren't required for extra content?

Draynar_sl

shitlord

When a game says,"Hey, we're adding DAILIES", how does that translate in your mind to end game thing. It was done in WOW that way and other games emulated it so everyone else is going to be forced to emulate it that way too.

Why can't daily quests be a leveling thing? Why can't a set of daily quests specific to a smaller quest hub be available once a day?
It was actually a reference to people asking for some of the regular leveling quest to be repeatable for future jobs... So it will definitely be for leveling. Probably have some end game ones too for seals and such thought.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Daillies are fine if they're for like catching up gear(one or two tier lower than current raid tier), cosmetics nonsense(Help the Moogle faction to unlock a Caithsith mount!) or alt/new player progression.

They're annoying as fuck when they're part of the endgame progression, like enchants or in this game materias that can only be obtained this way and are better than anything else, gear that is on par with the current endgame content, consumables that are noticeably better than crafted shit and/or stack with crafted shit and such.

Basically, daillies are fine when they're optional. Wonder though what's the point of daillies when they have leves. Leves are basically daillies, you can run 8 of them per day and yes you can run the same one a few times but other than that it's pretty much the exact same thing, why not just add more leves. Maybe that's what they meant though, or reworking the leve system so it's not point based but 1 leve each per day(with more leves to compensate).