Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
This is one game where the community has lived up to their rep. People are generally nice to Sprouts. People let people watch cutscenes. The game design encourages cooperation and cross-class knowledge. The whole feel of the game is just "good". Devs like the player base. Reports about GMing and moderation actually seem, I don't know, fair. I am actually a little sad I found it when everyone else did, in what feels like this "late" in its cycle. I totally forgot about it with the disaster that was 1.0, but you can't argue with what they have here.

I am super-slow rolling it Paladin 35/Dragoon 35/Conj 10 but FFS they actually have lessons that teach people how to tank, I mean, *good* lessons. You can spend 15 years playing MMOs and come to hate raiding or you can level to 30 in FFXIV and play 5 or 6 training missions.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Warriors ever get an AOE threat ability that doesnt require a target? Always hated that the most when I played WAR where every other tank gets one.
Yeah as mentionned the 2nd step of the aoe combo can be used raw if you need it, it's a standard circle aoe too instead of the weird cone shit, so it's nice enough, although when the situation allows for it overpower is better since it unlocks the combo on mythril tempest. You can also use the self heal if the mobs have aggroed you first and are on your threat list, it generates stupid amounts of threat on everything that's on your threat list(but if monsters proximity aggro a DPS or something and you don't hit them, they won't register the heal since you're not on their threat table).

Overall that's one of the reason I liked Warrior the least for dungeons, they feel somewhat clunky with their aoe. Also their charge costing ressources fucking sucks, hopefully in EW they remove that so you can charge at shit whenever like the other tanks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah as mentionned the 2nd step of the aoe combo can be used raw if you need it, it's a standard circle aoe too instead of the weird cone shit, so it's nice enough, although when the situation allows for it overpower is better since it unlocks the combo on mythril tempest. You can also use the self heal if the mobs have aggroed you first and are on your threat list, it generates stupid amounts of threat on everything that's on your threat list(but if monsters proximity aggro a DPS or something and you don't hit them, they won't register the heal since you're not on their threat table).

Overall that's one of the reason I liked Warrior the least for dungeons, they feel somewhat clunky with their aoe. Also their charge costing ressources fucking sucks, hopefully in EW they remove that so you can charge at shit whenever like the other tanks.
their low level beast meter spenders are fucking terrible too.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kind of kicking myself I didn't buy the boost on Drk when it was on sale. Looking at taking it up but 30 to 80 is going to be a real ball-ache as I tossed most of my tanking gear sub-70.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
If you're near us on Gilg or the Aether center, half of the guild are omnicrafters and can whip you up a set of almost anything leveling without too much grief.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
For anyone complaining about new folks watching cutscenes they can go fuck themselves. Never let anyone pressure you into skipping them if you want to watch. If people still want to pull early that’s on them.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you're near us on Gilg or the Aether center, half of the guild are omnicrafters and can whip you up a set of almost anything leveling without too much grief.

I'm on a filthy EU server (Zodiark) unfortunately. Transferred over a week or so ago as a few RL buds resubbed.

Appreciate the offer though.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
yes, the second step of their aoe combo is the standard pbaoe instead of a cone like their opener. its pretty weak without the combo bonus but tank aggro is so high in this game that it still works. Mythril Tempest at 40.

my leveling obsession is coming along nicely. no boosts.

View attachment 367813
Damn I'm jealous of that.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
For anyone complaining about new folks watching cutscenes they can go fuck themselves. Never let anyone pressure you into skipping them if you want to watch. If people still want to pull early that’s on them.
Only downside is if you want to be a dick you can troll the Garuda fight with this. It doesn't have the automatic advancing cutscene (IE praetorium). You can sit perpetually on a box of dialogue and never click forward if you wanted. Group will be stuck waiting for you.

But I 100% agree that watching the intro cutscene, the final boss cutscene, etc. should be done by everyone if they want to do it. It's a big reason why I don't turn off the "skip previously viewed cutscenes" option. Sometimes I like to see it.

• 1Moron

Goonsquad Officer
The other was a sprout healer berating the shit out of another sprout for watching a story cut scene in one of the dungeons. Said it was not acceptable in groups in ff14. First I’ve heard of that. Nobody cared as I leveled my tank.
Immediately shut that down when players start fussing at new players watching scenes. All players present get bonus rewards for having new players in party. Thst is the social contract. They get bonus rewards, they get to wait a few minutes for timmy to watch the story

• 7Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Should have asked you earlier, any idea what mats run for a full set of exarchic gear? Approaching 80 rapidly on two classes and haven’t started Shadowbringers

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Should have asked you earlier, any idea what mats run for a full set of exarchic gear? Approaching 80 rapidly on two classes and haven’t started Shadowbringers
Not sure, but if you got to FFXIV marketboard (FFXIV MarketBoard - FFXIVMB) and search for the item you want, you can click it and it will show a mats breakdown and the prices on Gilg for each mat should be displayed there. Like this: Exarchic Top of Aiming - FFXIVMB

Is that helpful?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Asked this in discord:

What's some "best times and days of the week" for everyone? Would say please put the times in EST/PST so we can make it streamlined. Trying to field for maps first, and go from there

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Fishing. Goddamnit. I knew I should have left it alone.
You can easily get fishing 1-80 spending maybe 200k gil buying fish for leves off the market board. Only fishing you really have to do is for the quests, some of which do take a while - hello Catkiller!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can easily get fishing 1-80 spending maybe 200k gil buying fish for leves off the market board. Only fishing you really have to do is for the quests, some of which do take a while - hello Catkiller!

Fishing is one of those skills I feel it should take time to level. I know in FFXI it took an age but the world and the music were so gorgeous it was welcome downtime from manic partying/raiding. Granted, that was 10+ years ago when I could get up in the morning and play all day until I fell asleep in my pizza box castle.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Fishing is one of those skills I feel it should take time to level. I know in FFXI it took an age but the world and the music were so gorgeous it was welcome downtime from manic partying/raiding. Granted, that was 10+ years ago when I could get up in the morning and play all day until I fell asleep in my pizza box castle.
You can just level it by fishing normally. Unlike the other 2 gathering which are slow as fuck, Fishing actually gives pretty good xp, so you can for example go around completing your fishing log while getting xp. Once you reach HW+ you can also fish a few scrip fishes to speed up the process. You definitely don't have to do leves, but you also can since unlike BTN/MIN it uses the crafting leve system, so you just turn in fishes you buy as mentionned and it goes super fast. You can also do Ocean Fishing which is its own little thing, apparently it's great xp too.

Considering it serves very little purpose endgame beside the first patch of an expansion(granted that's gonna be relevant soon), it's really up to you what you do with it, since you can definitely ignore it entirely, or just level it quickly and forget about it, but if you like fishing there's a ton of stuff to do even after leveling, so it being somewhat short isn't a big deal. When I did the log completion in late SB, it took me a ridiculous amount of time(I wanna say 120-150hours or so?). I spent a lot of that time just chilling, seeing various zones with different weather and at different times than before(since you don't spend all that long in areas especially the ones without beast tribes). There's even some depth to it, learning the catch windows of certain fishes and their bite type so you can reduce the amount of time wasted on the "wrong" fishes to catch the stuff you want more efficiently. It's pretty fun. Other than Ruby Dragon, that shit fucking sucks.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users