Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Argarth

On the verandah
Do PoTD to floor 50(This is all you need to do) .

Unlock Job you wanna play around with, go to PoTD 51+ , You'll start at lvl60 inside the dungeon you can run it over and over there is no penalty for it just you're lost time, there You're Class Trial that's been in the game sense Palace of the Dead was released.

Thanks, didn't know that.
Fortunately, the hardest decision by far for me was the melee DPS, and I struck gold with the Ninja. Also interested to see how the Sage pans out in EW, but lucky again since it unlocks as a lvl 70. (and of course GNB, RDM, DNC, SAM already given)

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Unlock Job you wanna play around with, go to PoTD 51+ , You'll start at lvl60 inside the dungeon
Does PotD give you a job stone now? Because otherwise you'll be stuck with the base classes, which lack the "identity kit" from the jobs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Argarth

On the verandah
I've boosted a few jobs over the years, because sometimes fuck leveling some alt jobs for a role you already know. I started tanking in SHB with Gunbreaker and boosted WAR/PAL/DRK because i didn't want to subject myself to dungeon spam.

Only exception is healer, since I've never played healers in MMO previously, I decided to level WHM the old fashioned way to actually learn it progressively.
I really enjoy healing... sometimes, even low level stuff, depending on the group. (WHM in FFXI, Resto Druid in WoW)
FATES are kinda fun on the WHM for me with lots of other players around, especially with some of the Sprouts biting off way more than they can chew. A clutch heal as they run for the hills on the edge of death is pretty satisfying, and then they want to have your babies, lol.
Don't just want heal here though, but also quite enjoying the steady progress leveling through dungeons. Hopefully I'll make it to 60 before burning out.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Does PotD give you a job stone now? Because otherwise you'll be stuck with the base classes, which lack the "identity kit" from the jobs.
No stone. You get base job skills only sadly until you unlock the job.

Chris

Potato del Grande
If anyone is levelling alt classes, PotD just doesn't do it for me.

You can unlock an AI dungeon party from your Grand Company at a certain level/rank. Using this gives you instant queue, even for DPS, and the NPCs do a great job.

I started using them at lv32 which is when you can start Brayflox Longstop. I do full clears of all trash which is 1-2 levels and you have literally all the lv32 dungeon gear after a few clears.

It costs Company Seals so you need to mix in FATES/Roulette and hand in your dungeon drops to one of the Company NPCs.

Before lv32 I did hunting log, a few FATES, job quests and a few random dungeons.

Duty Roulette isn't as good as the AI party as all the noobs are still doing Sastsha and Copperbell Mines which give less exp than the dungeon at your level and you'll get bored of them.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So I am a WoW refuge and rolled tank as my first job. Paladin specifically. Haven’t had issues. I ask questions, do a read up on mechanics, and look up markers and shit. There’s nothing too unusual through lvl 55. So what is the issue? I’ve tanked in WoW, rift, swtor, and secret world since like 2005. It isn’t that different game to game.

so far my only altercations were dps pulling two to three groups but the healer couldn’t keep me up. He was a sprout too. Dps got very pissy when I said slow it down. The other was a sprout healer berating the shit out of another sprout for watching a story cut scene in one of the dungeons. Said it was not acceptable in groups in ff14. First I’ve heard of that. Nobody cared as I leveled my tank.

Caeden

Also I did a bard as my third. And holy shit it sucks. I’m 44. Gonna suck it up to 50. I have a summoner at 34.

Aazrael

So I am a WoW refuge and rolled tank as my first job. Paladin specifically. Haven’t had issues. I ask questions, do a read up on mechanics, and look up markers and shit. There’s nothing too unusual through lvl 55. So what is the issue? I’ve tanked in WoW, rift, swtor, and secret world since like 2005. It isn’t that different game to game.

so far my only altercations were dps pulling two to three groups but the healer couldn’t keep me up. He was a sprout too. Dps got very pissy when I said slow it down. The other was a sprout healer berating the shit out of another sprout for watching a story cut scene in one of the dungeons. Said it was not acceptable in groups in ff14. First I’ve heard of that. Nobody cared as I leveled my tank.
I have never had any toxic groups ever. Even when its wipe city on some old dungeon mechanic everyone keeps it cool and try to learn or teach the others. Cutscene complainers should be told to kindly fuck off but I've never had that either.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hit level 42 last night and unlocked summoner, still not sure what things I should focus on besides leveling.

But I hope to god the questing gets better after the base game or whatever its called.

If you aren't aware, both Summoner and Scholar are shared levels. So you take Smn to 80 and Sch also levels as well. It's handy if you want to alternate between Healer and Deeps.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
so far my only altercations were dps pulling two to three groups but the healer couldn’t keep me up. He was a sprout too. Dps got very pissy when I said slow it down.
Those are most likely WoW refugees, too. Don't let them trample over you. Just tell them that the healer is a sprout and/or in unsynced gear. Tell them that they are "disrupting or interfering with your game experience, and probably the healers, too". This is a very specific phrase from the ToS, and most FFXIV players that had a visit from a GM know this exact phrase.

Don't let them bait you into any trash talk, and just report them once they start doing it.

The other was a sprout healer berating the shit out of another sprout for watching a story cut scene in one of the dungeons. Said it was not acceptable in groups in ff14
This is either a WoW refugee, an asshole, or both. If you can't wait the extra minute for someone else's game experience, don't queue for duty roulette where you could be matched with people doing it for the first time.

The unspoken rule is: If you move behind the blue boss/arena line you are ready for the fight. If you see someone is missing or behind the line, that means they are not ready yet.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I've been told off for not waiting for cutscenes a few times (I do usually wait, just a mistake). Never seen people be told off for watching them, so that's just a random asshole.

I had one person piss me off. I was tanking Sastasha and chain pulling 2 groups at once, as I paused for a second to click on loot I had a guy pull the next pack or two every single time. Like... I'm going fast already... fuck off. I purposefully didn't tank what he pulled.

I had someone call me an awesome healer yestersay and all I did was throw him a heal at 50% and do DPS, I wouldn't call letting a tank be at 50% awesome but it was a low level dungeon so safe enough. So standards may be falling lol.

Not sure how you fuck up tanking in this game though, it's the one thing that's easier than WoW in my opinion.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Malkav

French Madman
I had someone call me an awesome healer yestersay and all I did was throw him a heal at 50% and do DPS, I wouldn't call letting a tank be at 50% awesome but it was a low level dungeon so safe enough. So standards may be falling lol.

You should not try and keep people at 100% in FFXIV as a healer. Lvl50+, if your tank is not licking paint, he should be cycling his CDs, and you should be able to spam DPS and just throw an oGCD heal at him when he's at like 10%.

In this game, you're a good healer if you do as much damage as possible as long as your tank survive. You were spamming Glare and waited for him to have 1% HP left to throw Benediction at his ass? You did great, that's the point. DPS shouldn't be taking damage on trash pulls unless they are retarded. Hell, 90% of non tank damage on bosses is avoidable, except for raidwides.

If you play WHM, you can basically stunlock a trash pack for 10sec with Holy, doing mad DPS while completely negating the need to heal.

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Warriors ever get an AOE threat ability that doesnt require a target? Always hated that the most when I played WAR where every other tank gets one.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The other was a sprout healer berating the shit out of another sprout for watching a story cut scene in one of the dungeons. Said it was not acceptable in groups in ff14.
Sounds like a WoW refugee.

• 1Solidarity

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Warriors ever get an AOE threat ability that doesnt require a target? Always hated that the most when I played WAR where every other tank gets one.

Basically any of the AOE attacks.

There used to be a second Voke that allowed you to AOE taunt but I think it was stripped out and the standard Voke requires a target.

• 1Like

Caeden

Thanks for the input folks. Overall it’s been a way less toxic community. It honestly reminds me of how WoW was prior to cross-server grouping when reputation mattered. It was still more hard nosed in WoW, but you know what I mean.

I’ve tanked a dungeon or two near daily until I fired up the bard, and everyone’s been respectful and patient.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

B_Mizzle

Hit level 42 last night and unlocked summoner, still not sure what things I should focus on besides leveling.

But I hope to god the questing gets better after the base game or whatever its called.

I outleved the msq so fast on my summoner I went back to bring up a Whm, and just gonna alternate msq quest turn ins, its just so much exp it feels wasted being 8 or 10 levels over the msq.

Argarth

On the verandah
Yeah, coming back has reinforced for me just how much more "normal and nice" people can be in this game. Lots more sprouts learning the ropes of course, but still, people cheering and celebrating at the end of a dungeon run, jumping around and just enjoying themselves (me too). It kinda reminds me of the early WoW days as well, oh, you know, about 17 years ago...

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
yes, the second step of their aoe combo is the standard pbaoe instead of a cone like their opener. its pretty weak without the combo bonus but tank aggro is so high in this game that it still works. Mythril Tempest at 40.

my leveling obsession is coming along nicely. no boosts.

ff14classes.png

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users