Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
This was specifically for new classes which start 10levels lower. There's no new storyline for these until you reach 80. Speeding through that part asap(and especially getting to 71 so you can do Bozja) actually somewhat matters, since you get to the new content faster and can potentially do EX earlier when the people are better. Ultimately it's not running away, but setting up 30 sidequests only takes like an hour and is just some prepatch preparation, like cleaning out my bags, making sure I have capped tomes to get all "poetics" 80 gear for classes I didn't bother gearing yet, having all the FC scroll buffs stuff and so on.
A day or at most 2 of MSQlette and pixies will get you to 71.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just got to Azim Steppes, and I think this is one of my favorite zones so far. They've done a good job improving their overland zones with every progressive expansion.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I get so distracted in this game. Said once I got into heavensward I’d focus the shit out of the MSQ, but I’m doing a DK now. Just so much damn content.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
They get tremendous mileage out of having a single character but letting you do all the classes. And no hard coded factions. So you get to experience everything on one character.
WoW, for example, requires you to play at least two to see both storylines (horde/alliance) and even more if you want to see other class storylines. Logging out, logging in, sending mail (gear/money/etc) vs. simply changing a gearset. It's powerful in that you can write -massive- stories since you don't need to duplicate for two factions, or duplicate for multiple classes. You let the classes stand alone and the story/progression be carried to everyone.

It's just really built well to keep interest.

• 6Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It is a little jarring when you're at the end of SB but the DRG class quests involve some crazy shit with Estinien, or the MNK quests go on about how you're going to liberate Ala Mhigo. And yes I realize you're effectively going back in time when you do ARR content, it's just kinda funny because I don't recall any of the other class quests directly using stuff that the game would later reuse/redo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
It is a little jarring when you're at the end of SB but the DRG class quests involve some crazy shit with Estinien, or the MNK quests go on about how you're going to liberate Ala Mhigo. And yes I realize you're effectively going back in time when you do ARR content, it's just kinda funny because I don't recall any of the other class quests directly using stuff that the game would later reuse/redo.
Yeah I just did those two quests, luckily I think they are the only cases of that happening.

World of Warcraft is 100% that though!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The class quests were originally meant to be something you did at the "correct" level, so they actually lined up nicely enough. I played MNK for SB's launch, and I did the quest in parallel with the MSQ so they weren't out of place, but yeah if you do them separately or after the fact, they don't make much sense but I think it's part of the suspension of belief you have to accept when playing a game. It's like if you go and do Coil for the first time after finishing the current MSQ, just won't make sense but they can't really be like "ah too late you missed the time to do this story, you had to do it right after 2.0". And it's good world building too to include the corresponding classes with the events of the game that matter for them.

Malkav

French Madman
The class quests were originally meant to be something you did at the "correct" level, so they actually lined up nicely enough. I played MNK for SB's launch, and I did the quest in parallel with the MSQ so they weren't out of place, but yeah if you do them separately or after the fact, they don't make much sense but I think it's part of the suspension of belief you have to accept when playing a game. It's like if you go and do Coil for the first time after finishing the current MSQ, just won't make sense but they can't really be like "ah too late you missed the time to do this story, you had to do it right after 2.0". And it's good world building too to include the corresponding classes with the events of the game that matter for them.

I seem to remember the SB Monk quests dialogue actually changed a bit if you had already cleared 4.0 before doing them.

Edit : Or was it the RDM quest that changed once you cleared the expansion? I'm not sure anymore.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I seem to remember the SB Monk quests dialogue actually changed a bit if you had already cleared 4.0 before doing them.

Edit : Or was it the RDM quest that changed once you cleared the expansion? I'm not sure anymore.
Some of it changes yeah, but it's not adapted further after more events pass, it's like 4.0 events only, so with everything happening after until 4.3 and stuff, it just doesn't make much sense anymore.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So I have a 52 BLM/52 WHM and just finished the MSQ for the main portion of ARR, but still have a ton of the ARR lvl 50 patch MSQs to do before HW. Should I just do all these quests on one job? Is there an alternate path I should take? Seems like I'm going to be close to lvl 60 before even starting HW.

Caeden

So I have a 52 BLM/52 WHM and just finished the MSQ for the main portion of ARR, but still have a ton of the ARR lvl 50 patch MSQs to do before HW. Should I just do all these quests on one job? Is there an alternate path I should take? Seems like I'm going to be close to lvl 60 before even starting HW.
I did most of this on my pally and hit about 55. I did go back and do a bard. If you do your dungeon daily on that you’d hit 58 I bet. But those quests give a pittance of course imo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Krowbar

Molten Core Raider
I started off as a paladin and got him to 60, switched to a scholar and got him to 60 so far as well. I plan to take both to 80 but figured scholar would be easier to get there first so I can use the 100% exp bonus on the pally. Having never really played solo healer before, it's been a new experience being the lone healer and so far I've mostly been able to keep people alive. (Used to 2 box a cleric in EQ and resto druid during MoP raids.)

The game feels very different from when I last played it in 1.0. The dungeon encounters have been pretty different as well with a lot of interesting mechanics mixed in. The only complaint I have is there are just a shitload of abilities and the game could use some ability pruning. I've already filled up all my 1-6 keys on 4 hotkey bars and still have more abilities coming in so hopefully I can set aside the less commonly used ones into the harder-to-reach keys.

I'm running into issues with the demon tome in the gumbal library. I've been able to run past it during disclosure but it seems essentially random. Sometimes it works fine, other times I slip and slide on the other end and eventually die. How did you all get it to slide correctly in the direction you wanted?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I started off as a paladin and got him to 60, switched to a scholar and got him to 60 so far as well. I plan to take both to 80 but figured scholar would be easier to get there first so I can use the 100% exp bonus on the pally. Having never really played solo healer before, it's been a new experience being the lone healer and so far I've mostly been able to keep people alive. (Used to 2 box a cleric in EQ and resto druid during MoP raids.)

The game feels very different from when I last played it in 1.0. The dungeon encounters have been pretty different as well with a lot of interesting mechanics mixed in. The only complaint I have is there are just a shitload of abilities and the game could use some ability pruning. I've already filled up all my 1-6 keys on 4 hotkey bars and still have more abilities coming in so hopefully I can set aside the less commonly used ones into the harder-to-reach keys.

I'm running into issues with the demon tome in the gumbal library. I've been able to run past it during disclosure but it seems essentially random. Sometimes it works fine, other times I slip and slide on the other end and eventually die. How did you all get it to slide correctly in the direction you wanted?
The best way is to get yourself positioned before he casts the ice patch so that when he starts disclosure you just press straight once and slide right past him. Whenever you put in any movement input on an icy surface you immediately slide a certain length in the direction you were facing.

Chris

Potato del Grande

Switch to legacy movement. Your character shouldn't have a turning circle like a car.

Then you just go in the direction you press, not the direction the character is facing.

Last edited:

Malkav

French Madman
Also, reminder that since you have leveled Scholar, you get Summoner for free too, just need to do the job quests for it.

Caeden

So I feel like the 30’s and 40’s really suck for alt job leveling. Decent queues with a tank. Trying out PotD. Trying to get DK up. Probably going to “main” that a while.

I just started PotD as a random group tonight. Have to regrind 1-10 for some gear I guess. Doing daily roulette and levequests to level. Just hang out in PotD after daily roulette?