Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Rali

Trakanon Raider
So I am nearing the end of 5.3 and will have 5.4 done before Endwalker early access. Got PLD and SAM at 80. Is there anything else I should aim for before release of the new expansion? Have bought the 510 Exarchic stuff for those 2 classes. Is it worth trying to get higher gear (other than raid drops)? I suspect waiting for the 530 gear to be on Poetics is probably the better idea?

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
So I am nearing the end of 5.3 and will have 5.4 done before Endwalker early access. Got PLD and SAM at 80. Is there anything else I should aim for before release of the new expansion? Have bought the 510 Exarchic stuff for those 2 classes. Is it worth trying to get higher gear (other than raid drops)? I suspect waiting for the 530 gear to be on Poetics is probably the better idea?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Abigailicious

Lord Nagafen Raider
Started a free trial on Steam. Hopefully I will spend more time in the world than in the character creator!

I did! The game started with me falling through some stars while getting yelled at by a goddess and a man in a robe, I think. The video stuttered and sound cut out every time I changed windows until I adjusted the settings.

Landed in the real fantasy world (phew!), starting with a long exposition wagon-ride like in Skyrim, except nobody wants to execute me. That's good! An NPC in the wagon propositioned me. Hilarious! My character only nodded or shook her head. She's not a talker! Pretty landscape.

Enjoying the Lord of the Rings-inspired music and overall aesthetic, if the world's a bit fluffy. Not sure why flying bunny-demons with wings were drinking alcohol and talking to me, but okay. Is my character schizophrenic?

The people of Gridania are useless. Expected. First quest is definitely a "the tavern-keeper wants you to kill the rats in the cellar" moment, although in this case it's kill fungus-people (Twitter users?) cropping up like mushrooms outside of town.

Fought my first battle against a ladybug. Triumphed.

Very clean, bug-free MMO, used to playing older FTP MMO things on Xbox Gamepass. Last MMO I played was Age of Conan on Xbox Gamepass. No Wheel of Pain here! Before that, maybe 76? THAT was a Wheel of Pain! :eek:

Killed many ladybugs, squirrels, and Twitter users. Three hours playtime (including beer and smoke breaks). Reached level five.

Bedtime for the savior of Gridania.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Started a free trial on Steam. Hopefully I will spend more time in the world than in the character creator!

I did! The game started with me falling through some stars while getting yelled at by a goddess and a man in a robe, I think. The video stuttered and sound cut out every time I changed windows until I adjusted the settings.

Landed in the real fantasy world (phew!), starting with a long exposition wagon-ride like in Skyrim, except nobody wants to execute me. That's good! An NPC in the wagon propositioned me. Hilarious! My character only nodded or shook her head. She's not a talker! Pretty landscape.

Enjoying the Lord of the Rings-inspired music and overall aesthetic, if the world's a bit fluffy. Not sure why flying bunny-demons with wings were drinking alcohol and talking to me, but okay. Is my character schizophrenic?

The people of Gridania are useless. Expected. First quest is definitely a "the tavern-keeper wants you to kill the rats in the cellar" moment, although in this case it's kill fungus-people (Twitter users?) cropping up like mushrooms outside of town.

Fought my first battle against a ladybug. Triumphed.

Very clean, bug-free MMO, used to playing older FTP MMO things on Xbox Gamepass. Last MMO I played was Age of Conan on Xbox Gamepass. No Wheel of Pain here! Before that, maybe 76? THAT was a Wheel of Pain! :eek:

Killed many ladybugs, squirrels, and Twitter users. Three hours playtime (including beer and smoke breaks). Reached level five.

Bedtime for the savior of Gridania.

with your avatar it's pointless to get the free trial. Just buy everything

Malkav

French Madman
She's a legit player, moved from WoW back around WoD/Heavensward. She's been one of the most well known FFXIV streamer for years (help that we didn't use to have a lot of them).

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Damn, I didn't pay attention, but it smells like a bit of drama, plus Max has announced Limit will "officially" go for EW:

lmao.png

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Honestly I’m just glad to see them enjoying the content. And also glad it’s been more of a challenge than they anticipated. I don’t think they had any clue how challenging ffxiv content could be.

I will say, watching them struggle makes me a bit nervous for my static going into EW. We’ve never done savage raiding in this game (a couple of us have cleared a fight or two). We aren’t gonna go in and do blind progression though. If there’s a misteque (sp?) video for the content, we’ll definitely be watching that before we go in.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Honestly I’m just glad to see them enjoying the content. And also glad it’s been more of a challenge than they anticipated. I don’t think they had any clue how challenging ffxiv content could be.

I will say, watching them struggle makes me a bit nervous for my static going into EW. We’ve never done savage raiding in this game (a couple of us have cleared a fight or two). We aren’t gonna go in and do blind progression though. If there’s a misteque (sp?) video for the content, we’ll definitely be watching that before we go in.

It isn't as bad as you think, there is a few mechanics that are a bit crazy, but it's pretty easy over all once you see it/solve the puzzle..

The real challenge is in Ultimates though, everyone has too be 100% for them they are a different kind of content.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
She's a legit player, moved from WoW back around WoD/Heavensward. She's been one of the most well known FFXIV streamer for years (help that we didn't use to have a lot of them).
She's that SAM streamer right? I didn't recognize her at first cause she dyed her hair blonde but I saw a picture of her stream in that video from before and she looks like that one streamer that played a bunch of SAM in the last couple of tiers of savage, she was doing the whole streamer "raid on several chars with pubs" thing and she looked pretty alright.

Anyway advice in the video is fine, although we really don't know shit about how unsync content gonna go. I'm a bit scared about the stat squish making some old content harder like she says, especially shit like potd/hoh solo, they said they're giving echo to compensate but that sounds like some shit that might be off at certain levels/in certain content. Alternatively it could go the other way and they overbuff and old content ends up even easier. Hopefully they spend some real time scaling this buff properly. I'm sure if it isn't though they'll buff it in 5.1 or 5.15 or so when people complain about it anyway, so won't stay fucked for too long.

As for my own progress, finally finished this stupid relic step with 30/30 x3 items, took a while but wasn't going too hard at it, ended up running maybe 15raids or so and the rest from CEs while I was semi afk watching The International. Now I need to get all the items for the rest, but I figure since I'm capped on tomes this week I'll wait until the reset to spam DR.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Worth it hehehe

ffxiv_10162021_200337_114.pngffxiv_10162021_200325_004.png

And now I just need Diamond Weapon Gwibb and I'll have my Waffle... ran the full 50 for Hades though jesusss he doesn't drop them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I usually wait the next expansion to farm mounts cause they increase the drop rate further and it's easier unsynced(although not sure how much easier it's gonna be this time). I have a couple of the dragons from normal play but don't really want to bother farming them now although the mount looks pretty cool.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I want that damn mech dragon so bad, but I'm too nervous to try to jump into any of the extreme learning parties. Maybe one day.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I want that damn mech dragon so bad, but I'm too nervous to try to jump into any of the extreme learning parties. Maybe one day.

Titania, Innocence, Hades and Ruby are all really really easy, Emerald and Diamond are a little rough but once you figure things out are pretty easy just gotta set aside that farm time.

1 more thing too say, finnaly upgraded my Windows PC too do 4k and my god man ... for how old the game is it looks amazing at higher resolutions.

Last edited:

Malkav

French Madman
She's that SAM streamer right? I didn't recognize her at first cause she dyed her hair blonde but I saw a picture of her stream in that video from before and she looks like that one streamer that played a bunch of SAM in the last couple of tiers of savage, she was doing the whole streamer "raid on several chars with pubs" thing and she looked pretty alright.

Anyway advice in the video is fine, although we really don't know shit about how unsync content gonna go. I'm a bit scared about the stat squish making some old content harder like she says, especially shit like potd/hoh solo, they said they're giving echo to compensate but that sounds like some shit that might be off at certain levels/in certain content. Alternatively it could go the other way and they overbuff and old content ends up even easier. Hopefully they spend some real time scaling this buff properly. I'm sure if it isn't though they'll buff it in 5.1 or 5.15 or so when people complain about it anyway, so won't stay fucked for too long.

As for my own progress, finally finished this stupid relic step with 30/30 x3 items, took a while but wasn't going too hard at it, ended up running maybe 15raids or so and the rest from CEs while I was semi afk watching The International. Now I need to get all the items for the rest, but I figure since I'm capped on tomes this week I'll wait until the reset to spam DR.
I'm pretty sure she is a DNC main.

Yeah, you've done the most annoying for the relic. Now it's just a matter of running DR a lot of time. I did 10 speed runs yesterday, finished my 3rd and 4th weapons. My brain was fried afterward.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm pretty sure she is a DNC main.

Yeah, you've done the most annoying for the relic. Now it's just a matter of running DR a lot of time. I did 10 speed runs yesterday, finished my 3rd and 4th weapons. My brain was fried afterward.
Yeah seems it was a different person, don't know who though, kinda looked the same.

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Whats the best way to get those Lost Abilities or "buff potions"? I have like 0 potions left and ppl tend to get mad if you run the Zadnor/bosja shit without them.