Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Goonsquad Officer
They need a new MSQ which new players can choose to follow instead of the old one. They can't keep adding to the same linear story.

The problem is that a new MSQ would have to be both lv1-100 for new players in one expansion and lv90-100 for old players. That can be done via scaling but would feel really weird and not incentivise use of the old zones for levelling content.

Alternatively they could just release a lv1-50 expansion similar to 2.0 with some raids for lv90 players, but now you have new players stuck at lv50 and old players forced to level new jobs for the new content (so you need to add several new jobs).

It's going to be tough. Maybe we just get lv90-100 and screw new players.
yea i kind of hope that when next expansion comes out, the next arc, they have some system in mind for brand new players to experieence JUSTit.

I kind of feel like it could take the form of "each big sassy story has it's own character levels". but i know people will pull their hair out at the notion.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
So what’s the consensus on the xpac? I was bored at first but loving it atm at lvl 86. Is this worse than shb but better than stormblood?

Chris

Potato del Grande
So what’s the consensus on the xpac? I was bored at first but loving it atm at lvl 86. Is this worse than shb but better than stormblood?
The consensus I've seen online is that Shadowbringers has higher highs but Endwalker has more highs.

I think that Shadowbringers is a 10/10 story concept executed at 9/10 quality, while Endwalker is an 12/10 story concept executed at 8/10 quality.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Posting these for absolutely no reason. No spoilers, you'll know when you know, but I got told off so spoiler tags:

Last edited:

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Bird was ok but posting a picture of actual surprise characters in the game is a no no, let people experience the moment the story jumps the shark for themselves :p

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
The consensus I've seen online is that Shadowbringers has higher highs but Endwalker has more highs.

I think that Shadowbringers is a 10/10 story concept executed at 9/10 quality, while Endwalker is an 12/10 story concept executed at 8/10 quality.

I haven't finished yet, so I can't fully say, but so far (I'm level 89), I don't think anything has reached to the level of end of 5.0 or 5.3, but I assume I will finish tonight and see if the end eclipses those, but, on average, the moments of Endwalker have been above Shadowbringers for me, especially after around level 83.

I stopped last night after the scene on the docks delivering all the adamantine, and seeing all the cameos from the Four Lords, Omega raids, Alexander Raids, Scions, Ivalice Raids, Sky Pirates, etc, got me so fuckin hyped to finish it, I was cursing the fact that I had to work today and it was already 3am.

Also, I love the Loporrits, and will die for each and every one of them, but especially Puddingway.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Alright done with that stuff, was surprisingly fast and cheap, only spent like a million on mats, I guess part of it is how easier it is to gather large amount of mats and how much more xp you get out of leves it feels like. 3leves self crafted is usually a level up, plus the external xp(2+ lvls from custom deliveries, 50-80% of a lvl per GC daily, ~60% of a level per sharlayan delivery role quest thing).

job done.jpg

• 3Mother of God
  • 3Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 8 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Alright done with that stuff, was surprisingly fast and cheap, only spent like a million on mats, I guess part of it is how easier it is to gather large amount of mats and how much more xp you get out of leves it feels like. 3leves self crafted is usually a level up, plus the external xp(2+ lvls from custom deliveries, 50-80% of a lvl per GC daily, ~60% of a level per sharlayan delivery role quest thing).

View attachment 386607
Well done!

Help me out I can't find this online. What is the item level of the lv90 combat gear and are there more than one set yet?

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Well done!

Help me out I can't find this online. What is the item level of the lv90 combat gear and are there more than one set yet?

The gear you get given and the highest level dungeon gear is 560. the new tomestone gear is 570.

I'm going to explore more today to see if there's anything higher

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well done!

There's currently no 90 combat gear, highest is 88 stuff like the ones you get from the MSQ. That's because 90 gear is added along savage, when they release tome materials as well as add master books(currently no books for crafting). The ilvl should be 580, same as the current EX drops and normal raid drops once that's added. Limited tome should be 590 and savage 600(tome upgrade to 600 with savage mats too).

Current gear route is the same as usual for expansions,
AF job gear+dungeon accs (let's say this is ilvl 0 for the start of the endgame)
Unlimited tome gear(+10)
EX weapon+accs then 2weeks later normal raids for left side(and accs if you don't want to do EX) then 2weeks after that crafted gear which can also be pentamelded so slightly better and very easy to get (+20)
Limited tome gear(added with savage) 450/week (+30)
Savage gear + Augmented limited tome gear(can only augment with savage drops at first) (+40)
6.1 will bring +10 to crafted and easier way to upgrade limited tome gear without doing savage.
Then 6.2 new tier, baseline is reset with crafted/normal gear at +10 the previous tier

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
There's currently no 90 combat gear, highest is 88 stuff like the ones you get from the MSQ. That's because 90 gear is added along savage, when they release tome materials as well as add master books(currently no books for crafting). The ilvl should be 580, same as the current EX drops and normal raid drops once that's added. Limited tome should be 590 and savage 600(tome upgrade to 600 with savage mats too).
Thanks, so no reason to rush crafting to 90 then?

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider

Don't think there's much consensus yet (I heard a decent chunk of "not great so far"), but I'm also at 86 and it seems to be picking up a lot of steam now and I'm pretty interested in what happens next - thought a decent amount of the early bits weren't very good.

Not if it's like sb/shb (and it seems it is from Pyros's take above) - just do it before savage release and gather some (you can pre-stock up on mats for first tier of expansion).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Na just wanted to get it out of the way, but you can slow lvl it. The only thing you can do atm is prepare crafting gear(which is white non starred gear so it's piss easy to craft) and farm materias or whatever. There's absolutely no rush for really anything. All the current combat gear gets invalidated by crafted gear once savage releases if you have the money to afford it anyway. Edited previous post with timeline and gear progression.

Like in terms of progression, the game realy only starts in 4weeks when savage releases. The current month is literally just free no pressure time for people to do the MSQ, level their alts and do whatever. Other patches it's not like that since everything is available right away, but for this it really doesn't matter.

Chris

Potato del Grande
You know it's good when 4chan is discussing greek literature and philosophy in regards to Endwalker in the WoW thread.

The player character borrows traits from Odysseus, the wanderer.
He is assisted by Athena(Venat), who is the only being that completely understood his trials, pain, and despair. Odysseus was Athena's champion, her favorite. The player character was Venat's champion, her favorite.
Argos, Odysseus' loyal dog, recognized him even after Athena had turned him into an old beggar in magic disguise. Argos is present in Endwalker, and it assists us in our journey.
Odysseus, or the player character, wanders through dozens of islands and meets lots of unique people, beings, adversaries, and threats.
Odysseus, or the player character, was met with treason, loss, adversity, and quarrels in the Trojan War(or Eorzea). Several Gods even sided with the Trojans. The Gods had complex and nuanced positions, beliefs, aspirations, and shortcomings, often at odds with each other. Ares quarreled with Athena in the Trojan War, while others like Zeus, Poseidon, Apollo, and Hermes, picked sides on a whim or stayed neutral on the surface.
The Ascians, blatantly paralleled to the Gods, also quarreled and had difference of opinions, nuanced positions.

The player character, the wanderer, Odysseus, was of noble birth, since they are Venat's champion, the holder of the seat of Azem. Odysseus was the descendant of either Autolycus, a mythological figure, or Sisyphus, another tragic mythical king who cheated death twice and pissed Zeus off.

All throughout the Odyssey, the sense of wonder, the sense of the unknown, the sense of visiting weird, queer, absurd locations, fighting mythical monsters, outwitting beasts, giants, witches, is front-and-center. As is tragedy, loss, despair, agony, and perseverance.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
When do the week capped tomes come out, been taking my time but don’t want to miss a week of those

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
You know it's good when 4chan is discussing greek literature and philosophy in regards to Endwalker in the WoW thread.

Another little Greek tidbit from the expac (though, there is a ton, obviously):

In Ultima Thule, the broken up worlds you go through are referred to as ostrakons, which in Greece were shattered pieces of pottery.