Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
If I remember correctly, that proposed development timeline leading up to the relaunch showed that the NDA will be dropped halfway through this beta? Can anyone confirm that?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Not a bad control scheme. Depending on the pacing, it might be frustrating attempting to target while moving with a gamepad.

elidrin_sl

shitlord
Not a bad control scheme. Depending on the pacing, it might be frustrating attempting to target while moving with a gamepad.
I primarily played with a controller during 1.0 of the game because the mouse / keyboard controls were so horrible. It was incredibly painful trying to target things but looks like they have improved on it. Not that it matters though because mouse / keyboard was also improved significantly.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
In the second video, I loved seeing people in the open world fighting. You don't see that very often. I don't know how much that will actually happen outside of a video but, the overview gave me a good feeling. We'll see. I hate this game is so far away.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
This was really impressive to me.... but they are showcasing things that I am more interested in and I could be making more out of it than it really reflects. In other words, take it for what its worth.

ixian_sl

shitlord
While FFXI wasn't my first MMO, it was the one I've played the longest and connected with in a way that you see people on these boards talking about OG EverQuest. From that perspective, these videos and articles got me pretty excited, but I'm trying to remain cautiously optimistic. Can't wait for the 25th, though.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
It's weird. I look at those videos and I'm excited by what I see but more from a feeling of nostalgia than a feeling of entering something totally new and unexplored. I see familiar enemies, paladin AF wearing mithra (or whatever they're called now), and very familiar zone design. The clip in the second video where the goobbue is being fought looks just like Rolanberry Fields. Granted, most people said they'd happily throw their money at a FFXI v2.0 so maybe that's what they're giving us.

All that being said, if they announce ninja as a class then I'm going out to buy a new gaming pc and kissing the next few years of my life goodbye.

ixian_sl

shitlord
I'm okay with them exploiting my nostalgia as long the game is fun to play. I still remember being jealous of one of my FFXI linkshell members for getting access to the beta for the original version of the game early on, and him telling me I had no reason to be jealous (actually, he might've just said it sucked). Then the leaked videos from the beta came out, and I saw what he meant. Then I got in on a later wave of beta invites, and not only was the game not fun to play but it ran poorly on my powerful machine.

I'm not really counting on this game to be revolutionary, but if it can scratch the same itch as FFXI with a new setting, I'll be okay with that.

elidrin_sl

shitlord
I'm okay with them exploiting my nostalgia as long the game is fun to play. I still remember being jealous of one of my FFXI linkshell members for getting access to the beta for the original version of the game early on, and him telling me I had no reason to be jealous (actually, he might've just said it sucked). Then the leaked videos from the beta came out, and I saw what he meant. Then I got in on a later wave of beta invites, and not only was the game not fun to play but it ran poorly on my powerful machine.

I'm not really counting on this game to be revolutionary, but if it can scratch the same itch as FFXI with a new setting, I'll be okay with that.
You'll be happy to know that 2.0 runs far better than 1.0 did. My powerful machine struggled with FF14 1.0 at times also, often for no explicable reason.

ixian_sl

shitlord
You'll be happy to know that 2.0 runs far better than 1.0 did. My powerful machine struggled with FF14 1.0 at times also, often for no explicable reason.
It also didn't help that FFXIV 1.0 had to hit the server for some really dumb stuff, which made it feel even less responsive. Can't believe they were going to try to get that junk working on a PS3, heh.

I decided to remote into my home machine and run the benchmark, got a 7116 on max settings at 1920x1200 resolution (no 1080p option available in the benchmark settings). I am ready!

Crizack_sl

shitlord
Does anyone know if legacy players that didn't apply for beta getting invites for any phases?
I didn't apply for beta until today.

ixian_sl

shitlord
Does anyone know if legacy players that didn't apply for beta getting invites for any phases?
I didn't apply for beta until today.
Pretty sure that as a legacy member you didn't have to apply for beta unless you wanted to beta test the PS3 version.

jdfording

Trakanon Raider
Scored a 8553 on the benchmark max settings at 1920x1080. Damn this game looks nice. Please don't suck!

Rig is an i7 2600k(stock cooler), AS Rock MB (Sandy Bridge), 8 gigs of ram and a Gigabyte 680GTX. Didn't even install the benchmark on an SSD just a 250gb Sata III drive I use for Windows 7. Nothing overclocked.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Does this run in windowed mode automatically? Pretty disappointed with my score though. Max at 1920x1200 with an i5 and SLI GTX660ti 16gigs and scored a 5660.