Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
Yeah it's pretty bad. Accessibility needs to happen to some extent, but it has been pushed so far over the cliff at this point that it renders any accomplishment in the game meaningless. I do not think he wasn't talked about in group... More than likely there was bitching in each perspective players guild chat while the 5 man was happening, they were just too lazy to do anything about it or didn't care because they were blowing through the dungeon. That LFR example is hilarious though.

I think the pendulum will start swinging the other way soon. The way to prove it to Blizzard at this point is to prove that this is why they are bleeding subs. But there are too many variables. WoW is almost 10 years old. It's at the tail end of an expansion. And if they see more people hop in again after the next launch, there will be a point to be made that content is consumed too quickly, hence leaving the game.
That LFR players are that bad (and that content is that easy) does explain a lot about why the average pub player in FFXIV was so terrible though. If their first MMO was WoW, there was little chance that they would ever learn to play properly. Combine that with the fact that people get more confident the more they do something (even if they've done it completely wrong the entire time), and you have the perfect training grounds for an entire generation of terribads who think they're awesome. Mother of god.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
In my experience that never worked, and Squirts and I tried repeatedly to find ways to exploit it. You absolutely cannot do a L30 leve and expect to get crafting xp on a level 1, but maybe it works if you were to, say, do a level 10 combat leve and then switch. That would be shitty xp though, and a waste of your leve count.

I'm pretty sure you'll still be able to turn in HQ items for bonus xp, but HQ items will be harder to come by now. At least until the people you're getting the items from are much higher level than the leves you're doing yourself anyway.
I tested the combat->crafting leve trick a couple times and couldnt get it to work. Doing the leve on a high level combat class and switching to a lower one did, however.

The crafting leves gave an assload of xp if you got HQ items anyway

I've added a colunm to the guild sign-up spreadsheet for Server preference

Gilgamesh: Hi pop, maybe queues
Marlboro: Medium-Low pop, no queues

If anyone has anything else that should be considered, let me know. We'll go with the majority, unless someone has a better idea
smile.png
you guys are too far to either extreme to me. malboro was like the lowest pop server in beta and gilg was the highest. i've hopped on the bandwagon of the high pop servers before - usually it's fine, but a couple zerg guilds can ruin (Ruin, for instance) it.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
So any advice for a new player to ARR / FF in general?

Since I'll going down the Pugilist / Monk route, I thought about taking up Goldsmithing / Leatherworking / Mining to craft gear, but will that gear be worthwhile?

Also, default female Roegadyn look a lot like Yara Greyjoy from GoT.
Speaking purely from the game pre-revamp, but don't think it will have changed drastically.

1. It takes as long (usually longer) to level crafting classes in FFXIV as it does to level an adventuring class. Square see Crafting as a vocation/class in itself not a side venture.

2. You need enormous amounts of materials if you want to power level crafting. If you want to level just using leves/quests (which usually supply crafting material) it will take weeks/months.

3. It takes as long to raise gathering classes as it does crafting/adventure classes.

4. Particularly at release crafting materials are extremely hard to come by because of (3).

5. You also need huge quantities of crystals.

6. Crafted gear is very worthwhile.

Net results :

(i). At release and early in the games life it is very, very difficult to try and keep up an adventuring and a crafting class unless you are extremely hard core. You'll fall way behind the curve.

(ii). It would be a good idea to have members of the forum guild who are interested plan ahead, commit to individual jobs and work together.

sike

Silver Knight of the Realm
What about Leviathan as a server? Higher population than malboro but not as extreme as gilg - seems like a good balance.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
The reason why Gilg is so large is because that's where the goons are. Like any game (and I have done this too) with SA involvement, most everyone quits within 3 weeks and the population of that specific server goes down.

Syia_sl

shitlord
I'm all for any high population server. A medium-low population server historically becomes a wasteland within a month or two. When server transfers comes out, those desolate servers will either be merged or people will transfer to a high population realm. This sucks because you have to move your entire guild, your name can get lost, theres a cap on what you can transfer, etc

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've seen a gamefaqs poll with people preferring Leviathan and a subreddit poll with Gilg 1st and Leviathan/Cactaur 2nd. ZAM players appear to be going Ultros. I've seen posts that suggest Gilg is an RP server?

Based on the June census it appears that Leviathan is the most heavily English weighted NA server.

dCiQ9MO.jpg

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Thought I read that a lot of FFXI'ers were rolling to Leviathan so it would be the official FFXI server or something?

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
i'm going to be on cactuar

leviathan is what I would pick if i could choose. didnt know it was an ffxi server? a lot of time that stuff doesnt matter like ut mentioned. the only ones i'd watch out for are goons, reddit (also on gilg) and other large groups

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
So you folks are going to be rolling in a new server and not a legacy one for sure ? I might have to finally jump in with you all in a game after all the years of lurking and finally posting. The guild I've been in through various games is friendly group of older folks but are insisting on rolling on a legacy server and most of them have old characters.

I never touched FFXIV and would much prefer a "new" server.

Off hand question on classes as I really need to research them some , I am getting a handle on the general gist of classes/jobs leveling up each etc and can find that info , but I was curious if there's a FFXIV class close to an EQ Bard /Rift Bard or DAOC Minstrel ? I really over the year have enjoyed playing a group buffer/support class like a Bard , and noticed there was mention of a Bard being in FFXIV , but that could mean just in name and nothing like what I'm thinking.

Also have always liked pet classes where you actually use the pet as a major part of your dmg and not as an extra dot so looking around for something like that also.

Sorry for the newb questions , just one of the few major mmo lines I haven't mucked around with.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Yeah playing with pubs in various MMOs is very frustrating these days. Pick any game in the last ~3 years and I've had this exact exchange.

"LOS the ranged"
"LOS?"
"line of sight"
"What's that?"

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah playing with pubs in various MMOs is very frustrating these days. Pick any game in the last ~3 years and I've had this exact exchange.

"LOS the ranged"
"LOS?"
"line of sight"
"What's that?"
Ugh, as a tank I lose my shit when people can't figure this out. I didn't need any help in EQ figuring out that LoS will allow you to position ranged, I constantly wonder how people can be so dumb.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

"LOS the ranged"
"LOS?"
"line of sight"
"What's that?"
you wont have to worry about this in FFXIV since you wont be able to talk to your pub group.

Vittra

Bronze Knight of the Realm
you wont have to worry about this in FFXIV since you wont be able to talk to your pub group.
Think it said they just disabled the ability to send tells, party chat is fine. Unless you were just being sarcastic.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
So you folks are going to be rolling in a new server and not a legacy one for sure ?
100%. Nearly all of us didn't play the abomination that was FF14 original so we have no interest in a legacy server.

Gilgamesh looks like the winner so far. If all the "FF11 was the best game eva!" and "Omg FF14 reborn combat is too fast I want to be able to watch TV while playing" guys want to roll on Leviathan, that suits me just fine

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
I'm futzing with the signup sheet (Chrys is aware of this). Going to clean it up a smidge, then make some basic counts of what people are thinking, those that are still interested anyway, just to see where the wind blows for who wants to be what role.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
I tested the combat->crafting leve trick a couple times and couldnt get it to work. Doing the leve on a high level combat class and switching to a lower one did, however.

The crafting leves gave an assload of xp if you got HQ items anyway
I cant speak to crafting but one thing I will say is if you are planning on leveling a gathering class save the turn ins for it. Switch out jobs and save the xp from the regular / main quest turns where you can (Cant do till after level 10). Leveling up a gathering class is just painful otherwise.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You can talk fine, what you can't do is send tells to people outside the instance or people sending you tells from outside. Guildchat(FC and Linkshell alike) somehow works fine though, and obviously so does party chat.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
you guys are too far to either extreme to me. malboro was like the lowest pop server in beta and gilg was the highest. i've hopped on the bandwagon of the high pop servers before - usually it's fine, but a couple zerg guilds can ruin (Ruin, for instance) it.
This. I can understand wanting to not be on what will supposedly be the lowest pop server of all, but Gilgamesh is a fucking terrible idea.