Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Stave

Potato del Grande
I am leaning towards Leviathan or Behemoth servers myself. Whichever one doesn't doesn't have Brazilians. I avoid them like the plague. Anyone heard where they are going yet? I can't translate their FFXIV BR facebook page, as I don't have a facebook account to log in to translate.

I would be down for Gilgamesh, but supposedly Goon Squad is gonna be there. I try to avoid them too as they tend to take a huge population and then leave together leaving a wasteland crater in populations. And a lot of them are retards from my experience.

Also I plan on first leveling a Lancer. Then I will probably work on crafting classes/fishing and either SMN or BLM until they release Samurai or Ninja Jobs.

Erie_sl

shitlord
I'm probably going to go Ultros myself, not going to risk the over the top high population servers. If they implemented some sort of app that I could starting queueing while finishing up work, I'd be fine with them. But I get off at 7est so most raids start 30-60 minutes after that, don't have the leeway to wait in hour long login queues. Mid-High Pop is best of both worlds, especially when they don't split up half the server based on factions.

Tol_sl

shitlord
I would be down for Gilgamesh, but supposedly Goon Squad is gonna be there. I try to avoid them too as they tend to take a huge population and then leave together leaving a wasteland crater in populations. And a lot of them are retards from my experience.
Goon squad is on excalibur I thought. At least thats what I got from reading the SA thread.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Goon squad is on excalibur I thought. At least thats what I got from reading the SA thread.
Excalibur is a legacy server. According to Utnayan though
The reason why Gilg is so large is because that's where the goons are. Like any game (and I have done this too) with SA involvement, most everyone quits within 3 weeks and the population of that specific server goes down.

Tol_sl

shitlord
Excalibur is a legacy server. According to Utnayan though
Well, according to the SA thread Excalibur is definitely where they're pulling all of their forums users from, new and legacy. So I would expect any goon squad on Gilgamesh is going to be a spin-off group from another game rather than the massive influx of forums users like the average goon guild.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Well, according to the SA thread Excalibur is definitely where they're pulling all of their forums users from, new and legacy. So I would expect any goon squad on Gilgamesh is going to be a spin-off group from another game rather than the massive influx of forums users like the average goon guild.
Well thats good news at least. Definitely did not want to roll on a server with them there.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Glad to hear that about the goons. By people who have signed up on the guild spreadsheet and noted a server preference, Gilgamesh is the clear winner. Unless something changes drastically, that's what the guild will be rolling with. Will give it a few more days, then update the title of the thread.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Damn look at all those tanks. Was going to go with Glad/Paladin as my main but I might have to re-think that.
Every 4 man groups requires a tank, every 8 man group will want 2 tanks, I wouldn't worry about rolling a tank. Most tanks aren't hardcore enough to keep up the pace with their friends (killing mobs at 70% speed of a dps class isn't conducive to solo leveling unless you're more hardcore). Every game has ALWAYS been short of tanks and healers.

The only 2 games that came close to a group class balance was EQ with its 6 man groups, and SWTOR where there was only 1 class in the game that "couldn't" tank (edit: and even the popular dps/soloing specs of some classes were really damned good at tanking too)...

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
In a lot of these games anymore you see a huge poll result whether its cross boards or just this board in general of everyone playing tanks and healers. The reality of it is people are always wanting for them and most settle into DPS. The last few years on these boards alone you see this trend. I was actually surprised there was more DPS than healers & tanks in Nehraks list.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
If Gilgamesh has literally 2x the population of the next most populous server, like on that graph, there will be no way of mitigating massive queues and lag that will mar the playability of this game, it's inevitable.

I mean I'd love to play with RR'ed people, since I have been here or foh since 2002, and outside of Die2Nite I've never played with a group from here... Obviously Open beta will give us some kind of an indication, but if queues are bad/exist during beta, they will only get worse when the game launches, and I'd just have to roll somewhere else. Somewhere between an empty wasteland and the most populated server in the game is a happy medium.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
SA is on Excalibur. I think reddit and everyone is going to Gil though...

Check out the current google poll (I think that is what is is anyways):
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1p59.../viewanalytics
There was an infographic posted that was stated to be a more accurate result (duplicate entries removed).

Details here:http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/commen...racter_survey/
Infographic:http://i.imgur.com/nhTm07A.jpg

Some points of interest:
  • Grand Company percentages. Pretty much a split 1/3 each, which is rather awesome (would have expected more bias to one of the three).
  • Class-role percentages. Not quite as evenly split as Grand Company data, but close to the expected 1:1:2 (tank:healer:dps) ratio.
  • Gilgamesh is likely going to be high/queue pop (30% of just these responses? yikes)
  • Leviathan and Behemoth mid-high pop.

Cthalupa_sl

shitlord
There was an infographic posted that was stated to be a more accurate result (duplicate entries removed).

Details here:http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/commen...racter_survey/
Infographic:http://i.imgur.com/nhTm07A.jpg

Some points of interest:
  • Grand Company percentages. Pretty much a split 1/3 each, which is rather awesome (would have expected more bias to one of the three).
  • Class-role percentages. Not quite as evenly split as Grand Company data, but close to the expected 1:1:2 (tank:healer:dps) ratio.
  • Gilgamesh is likely going to be high/queue pop (30% of just these responses? yikes)
  • Leviathan and Behemoth mid-high pop.
I'll note there's going to be some bias in the results on that - Gilgamesh is the reddit server, so it seems likely that there's going to be larger than normal amount of people selecting it in a poll hosted on reddit.

Stave

Potato del Grande
If Gilgamesh has literally 2x the population of the next most populous server, like on that graph, there will be no way of mitigating massive queues and lag that will mar the playability of this game, it's inevitable.

I mean I'd love to play with RR'ed people, since I have been here or foh since 2002, and outside of Die2Nite I've never played with a group from here... Obviously Open beta will give us some kind of an indication, but if queues are bad/exist during beta, they will only get worse when the game launches, and I'd just have to roll somewhere else. Somewhere between an empty wasteland and the most populated server in the game is a happy medium.
Maybe this is not the graph you are talking about, but to me it looks like Gilgamesh only has like 5-10% more players than the other servers. Not 2x the population. They are all actually pretty even.
dCiQ9MO.jpg

Syia_sl

shitlord
A lot of assumptions are being made about high pop = long queues. Is there any specification out there on what the server capacity is?

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>

There hasn't been any queues in Beta I'm aware of, and of course a poll on reddit will favour the reddit selected server.