Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Slacker242

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is this worth $20? I am debating a whole lot...
As soon as I got attacked by 2-3 mobs and almost died pretty early on in the game I knew this was for me. The game is beautiful looking. The quests are well written if you are into that sort of thing. The main story quest is well above what is out there. The 4 man instances are enjoyable. I finished the story quest up until it ended (restricted for P3) and was very satisfied. Long term? Who cares. Definitely worth a few months play. My wife and I will play this shit out of this for a few months for sure. I really don't have too many complaints about the game. I guess the inventory system could be improved but that is just being anal. I think they are adding a "sort" at some point. I can't remember.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
The inventory system is a pretty big POS once you have a lot of items (this goes for inventory and the armory system) but at least they had the courtesy to separate the equipment. After a couple patches it should be good.

Mugaaz_sl

shitlord
They haven't said that though, it keeps being re-iterated that crafted gear IS good and will be on par later on. In version 1.0 crafting was the whole backbone of the game
Sorry, I'm just repeating what I heard multiple times from different people. If it's not true obviously it changes everything.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
HQ gear is generally quite a bit better than drops from 1-49, and probably a good ways into the endgame.

Also, you need crafters to help you socket your materia.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Based on my experiences in the beta I didn't find the time investment worth it.

The HQ plate gear takes up two slots of equipment which lessens its benefits. With properly socketed materia it would be better, yea, but the materia system has its own limitations (stat caps, only allowing you to socket gear for that craft, etc)

Vorph

Armor design in general (drops and crafted) is pretty lackluster, it's the weapons that make a massive difference.

Towards the end of p3 when we were all 35, I switched to wearing the statless starter gear just because it looks so much better than the robes and shit they give you as actual loot, and as long as I had a green weapon there was barely any difference at all in my spells. :/

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Armor design in general (drops and crafted) is pretty lackluster, it's the weapons that make a massive difference.

Towards the end of p3 when we were all 35, I switched to wearing the statless starter gear just because it looks so much better than the robes and shit they give you as actual loot, and as long as I had a green weapon there was barely any difference at all in my spells. :/
Well, that's not good.

So half of the itemization in P3 didn't do anything?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
For casters, yeah, the increase in non-weapon equipment is pretty minimal so far.

More or less similar to other games. The melee/tank classes get the majority of equipment related increases due to generally getting hit much more often, while the ranged/casters classes tend to just benefit from weapon/spell level increases. Except damage for spells is also tied into the dps of the weapon, so it's more of a blanket thing.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The coefficient for healing (maybe for damage as well) seems to be based off the weapon damage. Your gear is going to give you more mana through int/wis or spell haste / spell crit, but at 35 when we were playing around with weapons the difference between a grey, green dungeon drop, and HQ crafted was pretty drastic from a healing standpoint. That may not be news to anyone, but yeah it was kind of disappointing.

Vorph

Basically yes. The system is more or less a combination of WoW enchanting and jewelcrafting, with a dash of silly-Asian-tedium tossed into the mix. You can't socket materia unless you have a certain skill level in the tradeskill associated with that piece of armor, you have to equip and use a junk item for a few hours in order to max out your spiritbond with it before you extract materia from it.

Bottom line, avoid items with materia sockets like the plague while you level, and don't even think about messing with the system until you're 50. Materia sockets come out of the stat budget and it's pretty unlikely you'll be filling the sockets with stats that are better than what you'd get from a socketless item.

Also, on the topic of loot and for people new to the game, green is better than pink*. It's certainly not intuitive to anyone who's ever played, well, pretty much any other game ever made that uses colored names for loot quality, and I don't think the game ever comes out and explains it.

*-Usually. Pink gear is randomized, and it's possible to get an exceptionally good item with a bunch of stats on it that ends up better than the same ilvl green.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
And gear with a gold'ish glow at the top is HQ, and doesn't some other color represent gear that is spiritbound?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wait wait wait.. Are you saying we actually need to examine our items to know if they're better? FUCK THIS SHIT

Noahx

N00b
Basically yes. The system is more or less a combination of WoW enchanting and jewelcrafting, with a dash of silly-Asian-tedium tossed into the mix. You can't socket materia unless you have a certain skill level in the tradeskill associated with that piece of armor, you have to equip and use a junk item for a few hours in order to max out your spiritbond with it before you extract materia from it.

Bottom line, avoid items with materia sockets like the plague while you level, and don't even think about messing with the system until you're 50. Materia sockets come out of the stat budget and it's pretty unlikely you'll be filling the sockets with stats that are better than what you'd get from a socketless item.

Also, on the topic of loot and for people new to the game, green is better than pink*. It's certainly not intuitive to anyone who's ever played, well, pretty much any other game ever made that uses colored names for loot quality, and I don't think the game ever comes out and explains it.

*-Usually. Pink gear is randomized, and it's possible to get an exceptionally good item with a bunch of stats on it that ends up better than the same ilvl green.
If your looking to push thru content to 50 and just "get there"... yeah avoid this whole part of the game and just do dungeon grinds for greens.

For those that want to do this part of the game "on the way up"... its really not a disadvantage, just a different type of hunting (transmuting gear, getting decent materia, leveling the right crafting etc). I enjoyed constructing my own gear and using the materia. There are pretty nasty requirements to do this via yourself in the beginning so expect to be in your later teens/early 20s with time spent getting crafting/havesting up to do any of it.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Well fuck me side ways with a moogle's play toy....I had my grand master plan mapped out for beta/early access which included 2 boxing a Gladiator (PAL) & THM (Black Mage) to 50 picking up the critical cross class abilities when time permitted. I've been set on this path for awhile and decided to forgo crafting until 50 as well. Well I just started really thinking about it, and knowing how every god damn MMO launch to date has went, started thinking I better go WHM on my main instead of BLM so I know we will have a solid healer the guild can depend on.

I guess since they won't have 24man content out for awhile its not as big of a deal but still rather have my focus and plan laid out. One side, for success its always better to have a high attending skilled healer but the selfish side....epeen battles for king dps are always a fun challenge. Not to mention when pushing for server firsts etc its alot easier as a ranged dps to watch the fight as a whole to look for strat adjustments etc. Damn you healing...damn you, if only there was a game that didn't need healing !!!! (oh god did I just say that? G2 nightmares are returning, please shoot me in the head for ever suggesting such stupidity)

Me thinks I'll end up healer focused and then go play my 2 box tank in pug's and take out all my anger on the poor noobs. God I miss 8 second cast ice comets & Cheals....

Vorph

Well fuck me side ways with a moogle's play toy....I had my grand master plan mapped out for beta/early access which included 2 boxing a Gladiator (PAL) & THM (Black Mage) to 50 picking up the critical cross class abilities when time permitted. I've been set on this path for awhile and decided to forgo crafting until 50 as well. Well I just started really thinking about it, and knowing how every god damn MMO launch to date has went, started thinking I better go WHM on my main instead of BLM so I know we will have a solid healer the guild can depend on.

I guess since they won't have 24man content out for awhile its not as big of a deal but still rather have my focus and plan laid out. One side, for success its always better to have a high attending skilled healer but the selfish side....epeen battles for king dps are always a fun challenge. Not to mention when pushing for server firsts etc its alot easier as a ranged dps to watch the fight as a whole to look for strat adjustments etc. Damn you healing...damn you, if only there was a game that didn't need healing !!!! (oh god did I just say that? G2 nightmares are returning, please shoot me in the head for ever suggesting such stupidity)

Me thinks I'll end up healer focused and then go play my 2 box tank in pug's and take out all my anger on the poor noobs. God I miss 8 second cast ice comets & Cheals....
Meh, there's like 10+ WHM's and a couple Scholars signed up -- play whatever you like.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Meh, there's like 10+ WHM's and a couple Scholars signed up -- play whatever you like.
Not for the board guild sorry, my old VG/Rift guild is going to start on a new server so I am going with them
frown.png