Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
My 3102 error finally got fixed, but the guy I was grouped with in Bowl of Embers is still in my group offline and I can't leave/disband.

Oh well can level some of my subclasses.

Whats with the cut scenes and stuff having no voices thats lame ?
A lot of them do, the main story ones at least.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
I was wondering about one thing: just how much of the main cutscenes were supposed to be voice-acted. Some of the storyline seemed a touch abrupt in the transition from voice back to text and vice-versa (which parts were and were not voiced).

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
Yeah I don't know if the cut-scenes having some voice-overs, and some not is a bug or intentional. It seems like at the very least the main story cut-scenes are voiced or should be voiced over.

That being said, the English voices are mostly atrocious and i switched it to Japanese and am just reading the subs anime style. Can't stand the Kan-e-senna's voice if you're doing the Gridiania storyline.

Also fyi, you can re-view previous cut-scenes from your Inn room.

rolx_sl

shitlord
Ya fuck reading when the persons mouth is moving. The very opening wagon scene was wack and super dull not hearing voices. They probably did it so they didnt have to make voices for evreything to save time. I made it to lvl 13 glad lvl 4 conj in like 5 hours of playing and i've never played any before or any beta. All I can say is this shit is boring as fuck and feels like a chore. Running from stupid ass quest to stupid ass quest doing 30000 quests that don't do shit, im good on that. You can instant teleport to where ever you want talk about trivial. There is no death penalty or sense of danger in the game at all. It looks awesome though their graphics rock. But the constant stupid quests feel like a straight chore and are not even fun at all. Maybe if the quests had voice overs so i didnt just have to click through 1000 chat boxes. Idk maybe its just me but where the fuck do you cancel the preorder?

Thraka_sl

shitlord
Leveled a Marauder to 20, Gladiator to 20 and a Conjurer to 15. Probably going to level a Warrior, however a Paladin sounds appealing. Ended up pre-ordering the collectors anyway. Nothing else on the horizon for at least the next year so I figured why the hell not. The game is definitely enjoyable though. I had no problems at all logging on, my friends and I rolled on Malboro however.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'd actually rather they spend the budget required for voice overs on something more to pertinent to the gameplay. Voice overs cost an absurd amount to put into games and for this genre in particular they are completely unnecessary. Plus, with an asian game you are just going to get horrible voice acting which I can do without.

I wouldn't mind the latency being a tad better. I also wouldn't mind being past this 3102...

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Missed out on 22 hours due to 3102, finished copperbell just in time for 3 hour downtime. Joy.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh damn I was cleaning up my inventory, getting ready for release. My first retainer is full and none of that shit is sorted too much of a hassle, I'll just wait for the sorting options. I do hope they take the servers back up, I didn't see any ingame warning about that shit and I need to move to a rested area before the real down.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hmm there was a warning in blue, at like 9:27 and they just went down right now(at least on gilg). Says 21:30 to 0:30 pdt, so should have a hour and a half when they come back up to get everything sorted.

Edit: Well it said "We are now starting maintence" when I posted, but still not down.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well I guess I'm part of the lucky people, haven't had an issue all weekend. Got ACN/CNJ to 20, THM to 12, Botanist to 18, Alchemist to 18, gonna finish both of these before the down and Weaver to 10, probably gonna get to 15 before the down I have like a billion of cotton balls. Haven't used my leves cause I figure crafting will slow down so they'll be more useful later on, so mostly grinded combines, you can make a macro with up to 8 commands, with like /ac "Basic Synthesis" <me> then /wait 3 so I just click synthesize, press the macro, then alt tab for 15secs, rinse and repeat, using the cheapest combines and getting +200%xp bonus from the quality. Shit's been going fairly fast. Botanist is also faster than I expected, it really picks up once you can get HQ stuff since you get a large xp bonus on these.
I'm assuming you do this as opposed to quick synthesis for the extra xp? I'll have to hit you up once live hits about how this works.

I'm also one of the ones who had almost no issues. I got DC'd once, and hopped right back on. They just took the servers down early though, but apparently will be bringing them back up just to take them down an hour later? I dunno.

Ended up with:
20 ARC
20 LNC
18 CNJ (almost 19)
6 THM
6 PUG

And all my gathering 10+, and like 5 or 6 tradeskills around 8-12.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Odd, as I am still in on Gilg and mining til my heart's content. Bet there's an 8gig DL waiting for me when I log off though~

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lol yeah, at 12:39 they said "we are starting maintenance now" yet servers are still going.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wouldn't be the first time they've screwed up timezone info when posting something. Not about to risk getting logged out somewhere that doesn't accumulate rest xp though.

Ended up with 20 CNJ/ACN/THM and 12 PUG for combat classes, 20 Botanist for gathering, and 16 Alchemist even though I said I wasn't touching crafting at all.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Servers are down, not sure why you guys are still online. I was dropped with a 90000 error at exactly midnight CST. On login states unable to get NA/EU data and server screen is only populated with JP.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Solid game, looking forward to putting some time in this world.
Agreed. This is really what I needed right now. Beautifully designed landscapes, amazing soundtrack, rock solid client... I'm really looking forward to putting in some serious hours when this gets released.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Also since I don't plan to play on live and I don't think anyones on my server. Search market for crafting mats. Find something there is none of. Copper ore, bat fangs whatever. Buy for 2-50gil from merchant 5 fucking feet away and put them up for 100-2000 each. Profit. Made 90,000gil off bat fangs and zinc ore alone. Possibly not as effective on a non legacy server.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm assuming you do this as opposed to quick synthesis for the extra xp? I'll have to hit you up once live hits about how this works.

I'm also one of the ones who had almost no issues. I got DC'd once, and hopped right back on. They just took the servers down early though, but apparently will be bringing them back up just to take them down an hour later? I dunno.

Ended up with:
20 ARC
20 LNC
18 CNJ (almost 19)
6 THM
6 PUG

And all my gathering 10+, and like 5 or 6 tradeskills around 8-12.
Quick synthesis is awful and unless you need low level materials shit for a higher recipe, you shouldn't be using it. Like say for one of the lvl 18 cotton armor recipe you need a hemp cloth thingie and I didn't have any so I used quick synth to make it faster(it wasn't much faster though since I only needed one), I made one manually to compare after and it was about the same xp, which was like 5xp. That's cause the hemp shit is lvl 1 and I was lvl 19. However when I unlocked quick synth I did a quick comparison, bolt of cotton, one of each, cotton is like lvl 13 so it was good xp at the time. When I quicksynthed, I got ~200xp for it. When I did it manually, by just spamming Basic Synthesis, I got iirc 350 xp or so. That's basically for the same duration(maybe a bit more cause you need 2 synth actions to complete it when you just unlocked it). However if you then use up all your ressources working up the quality %, you can easily get +200% xp. That means ~1k xp. Now that takes a lot longer, it's about 6 actions so about 20secs total, vs 4-5secs for a quick synth or even a manual quick synth. However time isn't much of a problem because of the lvl cap in beta and shit and I'd rather get big xp per item so I don't need to spend money/gather more.

As for how it works, you need to start unlocking the skills. Then what I did was, the skill that makes the next 5 skills 20% less likely to fail, then 3x basic touch to increase quality, the one that restores durability, 1-2more basic touch then finish the item with synthesis. The numbers vary depending on wether or not you're high lvl enough to have +CP jewelry and how many synth you need to finish the item, but the concept is simply to increase the quality as much as possible. Doesn't matter if it's still 8% chance to make a HQ, it'll increase the xp by 150-200%. And you still sometimes get HQ mats which are nice for later on. Macro is as I explained before, /ac "Skill 1" <me> /wait 3 /ac "Skill 2" <me> /wait 3 etc. Then you press the macro and go afk until it finishes and gives you 1k-1.5k xp for a shitty combine.

Also getting tradeskills to 15 is more important than getting a bunch of them to 10. At 15 you get a cross class ability for each tradeskills, which means it makes every other tradeskill easier to level, or at least easier to make good shit when you need to. Other cross class skills are at 37 and 50. Having both the Alchemy(can use a free ability that gives 20CP whenever the condition of the item is good) and the Weaver one(100% success progress ability but at 90% of the efficiency, great for finishing items when you're at 10 durability without taking any risk which happens often when you've managed to get a high HQ%) helped me a lot in making my lvl 20 HQ book for example.

I like that you can level gathering and crafting without a combat class though. I mean alchemy requires monster drops for a lot of stuff but that's fairly specific and you can level without those if you want. Gathering get stealth so your combat stats don't matter(you can't fight anyway while gathering) and as a result you can collect high lvl mats for your crafter. I guess some people will level crafting first so they can make lvl 50 items right as the first people get to 50 and make good money. Generally it's people who rush to 50 that get to do that since they then have access to lvl 50 materials and everyone else doesn't.