Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I never really played the last FF MMO and I only got about an hour of gameplay during last beta due to the 3102 error. So this game is really fresh and new to me. Is there a need for alts? Can my primary character can be any class as long he level up all the appropriate jobs? Like for instance if I choose the Disciples of War I can switch between an archer, gladiator or marauder? How does this exactly work?

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
I never really played the last FF MMO and I only got about an hour of gameplay during last beta due to the 3102 error. So this game is really fresh and new to me. Is there a need for alts? Can my primary character can be any class as long he level up all the appropriate jobs? Like for instance if I choose the Disciples of War I can switch between an archer, gladiator or marauder? How does this exactly work?
Cliff's Notes:

- Create a character as a starting (Disciple of War/Magic) class.
- Get that class to level 10, do the level 10 class quest.
- You unlock the ability to go to any other class guild to become that class. You get a level 1 starter weapon for that class.
- Equip the starter weapon, and now you're that class. Re-equip your old weapon, you switch back to the original class.

So no need for an alt to be class X. Gear sets do wonders for you in this game.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Once you reach level 10 on your starting class, you can accept the level 1 intro quests for all of the rest. Switching between classes involves changing your main hand weapon and the only draw back is that all of your abilities will be on cooldown for 30 seconds after the change. Typically you save gear sets for each character and just switch sets via a hotkey.

You can make alts and level them up to get more leve allowances for money maybe. Every 12 hours you get 3 leve allowances up to 100 before you have to do them.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The saving gear sets thing is super important. You basically get a little window where you can save a gear set for every class, or multiples for a single class if you want (and I'm sure end game will have raid sets, etc). It works very well.

My only issues with it are if you get rid of an item in your gear set, it won't load. So you have to go and re-equip everything. The other issue is that it sucks for inventory management. I wish they had an option for the items to have a locked inventory slot. I tried organizing my gear sets by level and job type, but as soon as you swap between 3 or 4 classes, your shit is all over the place again (since it swaps out your equipped item for the saved one).

This is the primary reason I feel like leveling all my classes at the same time. That way I don't need to keep a lvl 1 set for DoW, level 1 set for DoM, level 5 set for DoW, level 5 set for DoW, a few sets for crafting and gathering, etc. If all my classes are level 20, I can just get rid of the low level shit.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone found a solution that isn't: just wait, for this region error when adding the code to your account?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've been reading all the reddit stuff while constantly hitting redeem over and over. Some people said if you get error 3, just keep trying and you should get it. Those people got it in like 5 tries. I've been doing it for hours.

Other people have said you need to reload the page every time. I tried that for a bit and nothing.

Then there are others who just said you need to wait for SE to email everyone.

But with how well SE handles communication, I figure you're better off not waiting. I'll probably have to spam this shit for the next 4 days to get in.

Malakriss

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/commen...g_as_intended/
UPDATE2 - yondaimee604

IF YOU GET the ERROR: 3 message, KEEP TRYING you WILL get the code eventually (it took me 4 tries only). After you get the 12 (20?) digit code you WILL get the region error, this is NOT because of a mistake YOU did, this is because they accidentally sent EVERYBODY to the JPN site to redeem the code and not the NA site. As soon as they link the proper NA site, everything should and WILL work.

Stave

Potato del Grande
i keep getting forced to this page:

rrr_img_41065.jpg

and getting this:

rrr_img_41066.jpg

any solutions to get past this?
I am getting this same issue.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
You can make alts and level them up to get more leve allowances for money maybe. Every 12 hours you get 3 leve allowances up to 100 before you have to do them.
This is a very good point. Money from leves was my biggest income pre ARR. I made over a quarter mill from leves using a coupe of alts just for that purpose. Also leves are great for raising craft/trade skills so you might want a crafting alt. I'm going to be doing cooking on an alt purely because the amount of items you need to keep a hold of when cooking is huge and a total ball ache.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well, I'm done trying now anyway. When the "Are You Sure?" popup comes up, it won't let me click confirm anymore. Not sure what that's about.

kahilm_sl

shitlord
This is a very good point. Money from leves was my biggest income pre ARR. I made over a quarter mill from leves using a coupe of alts just for that purpose. Also leves are great for raising craft/trade skills so you might want a crafting alt. I'm going to be doing cooking on an alt purely because the amount of items you need to keep a hold of when cooking is huge and a total ball ache.
I heard you can't mail stuff to alts on your account, though. The person has to be on your friends list and you can't add alts to your friends list. Anti-RMT feature I think.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
I heard you can't mail stuff to alts on your account, though. The person has to be on your friends list and you can't add alts to your friends list. Anti-RMT feature I think.
Again good point. I run alt accounts not alts on the same accounts. I got 3 accounts leve worthy in the past weekend.

As a quick aside to Botanists when you get the chance to harvest Maple Sap (lowish level, it's near Gridania) spend the time to harvest loads of it. It's needed for some key, easy recipes for Culinarian and Alchemist and as it's an easy synth they need a metric fuckton of it. It sells fast for a high price on markets once people know what's what.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
So glad I'm just waiting until a week or so in. However long it takes for bugs like this to get sorted out.

So, are chocobos the only mount you can get in-game?

And archers - are you just a glorified spellcaster, or can you fire on the move?

Malakriss

You must get a chocobo to unlock mounts, but collector's edition get a coeurl mount and they've already shown pictures of a potential magitek armor mount.

Archer shots are all instant, so you can fire on the move. Their 0 TP shot and Execute are both off the global cooldown as well.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
There are definitely different mounts. The CE edition gets a coeurl mount, and I know there is also magitek armor. Would imagine there's other stuff too.

And archers can fire on the move. Don't think I remember any abilities that I couldn't use on the move.

rrr_img_41073.jpg

rrr_img_41074.jpg

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
REGION ERROR mother fuckers, not error 3. after you get your code and bypass error 3, you go to apply the code to your account and get another error message saying the code is not for your region.