Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Here it is:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodest...320904327f6f37

It was stickied at the top of Lodestone for like 3 days, stickied at the top of the FFXIV reddit, it was on the launcher, etc.
In my case the damage was already done since I put the code in before that message ever showed up. Obviously a whole lot of other people did, from that message:

We have received reports from players who, although they wished to continue playing the game post-launch with characters created either in the original FINAL FANTASY XIV or during the FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn beta test, have mistakenly registered their licenses to either the wrong service account, or to a brand new service account.

Keep in mind, there have been tickets opened since that time about this. They haven't responded to it, in fact they just closed them all.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The message came out the same time the first emails with product keys starting showing up in inboxes. The first wave of us signing up on Monday got hit with the problem and then the issue started spreading on reddit. Because there was so many instances of this happening Square removed the offending giant red "Add Service" button on the Mog Station page within a couple hours and then posted the link for the specific CS ticket form to address it. We all put in tickets on Monday, the email confirmation for ticket didn't come until Tuesday saying it would be resolved within 48 hours, then by Thursday they were saying up to 2 weeks and Square also went the extra mile of canceling everyone's CS tickets.

The people who did get through to CS on Thursday and got their tickets escalated but not fixed also had their tickets wiped in the purge. That really highlights how retarded the decision was. Friday was a total crap shoot on either the phones or the chat, like trying to break through a 1017 without a script. But everyone kept trying because it's a holiday weekend and no one can try again until Tuesday.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I got in last night without a script.

Wait, does ordering your daughter to hit 0 on your laptop until you get in 15 minutes later count as a script?

The best part about having kids is its cheaper to force them to grind out levels for you than to pay the Chinese to do it for you.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
So here comes the major problem. My repair bills every day are around 6k gill. The more you kill stuff, the more your gear breaks. So in essence 1 death per hour is the same thing as taking no deaths per hour because your gear is costanly breaking down.
Blue gear compounds this problem because of its massive cost to fix.
If you're a crafter, you can repair your own stuff for a fraction of the cost (350gil per item I believe). Or, you can seek another crafter to do the repairs for you - most will charge a fee but its cheaper than repairing.

Having the NPC do it is, no doubt, the most expensive option. NPC will also only repair to 99%. A crafter will do it to 100%. Not that that matters much.

Column_sl

shitlord
I think you missed the point of my post Aladain. I completely understand all the ways you can go abit cheeper.
The amount of hoops you got to go through just to make that happen is grinding, and its not that much off the vendor.

so instead of 6k a day I might spend 5k a day. Still spending way too much money just to raid constantly.

Everyone says you have to do gathering, mining or botany just to keep up. Which is a big time sink, and not what I want to do anyway.

Game shouldnt force you to tradeskill, and work the auction house just to play the level 50 game everyday IMHO.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
One other side note, they have to do something about the only 5 buffs on a raid frame. It makes it impossible to see if people have debuffs, or even if you have a regen on them because the buffs wont go past 5 on a unit frame.
Most people say that is not a big deal, but coming from a healing perspective it is a very big deal.
By "most people" I think what you mean are "idiotic raving fanboys" such as the people I encountered when I mentioned I couldn't wait for UI mods so I could actually see my own fucking buffs/debuffs to know when to refresh them. OMG YOU WANT THE GAME TO PLAY ITSELF GO BACK TO WOW FAG. Eaaaasy there fanfags, it's just a cosmeic mod... Other MMOs are smart enough to only show you the buffs/debuffs YOU cast and not every fucking useless thing.

As for the rest, well, people on this forum actually claim vanilla WoW was the best because of wonderful things like going bankrupt on repair bills and spending 3 hours farming consumable mats for every 1 hour raiding. So your "I just want to play" argument will be countered with "omg you just want free loot handed to you go back to WoW you casual fag"

But I do think the repair bill gripe will eventually reach critical mass. But not until the apologist fanboys "the game should be hardcore as fuck" (level 12 forum guy) are all broke and tradeskill crap is so devalued that it takes a week of picking flowers to repair one boot.

In other news, I've completed the first 5 dungeons and I'm wondering where these great dungeons people were talking about are. So far I've seen a lot of brown narrow tunnels with 3 boss fights each and a shitton of trivial trash.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
If you're a crafter, you can repair your own stuff for a fraction of the cost (350gil per item I believe). Or, you can seek another crafter to do the repairs for you - most will charge a fee but its cheaper than repairing.

Having the NPC do it is, no doubt, the most expensive option. NPC will also only repair to 99%. A crafter will do it to 100%. Not that that matters much.
So between repairs and materia crafting is shoved down our throats. I did not sign up to do faggy ass crafting. I HATE It. It's doing WORK to play a GAME. Why do people think this is such a great idea? Some people love it, great. Go craft. Don't get your crafting union buddies together and bitch until the game all but requires it.

Do I need a certain level crafter to repair all the way up to 50? Does any crafting class work? Do I have to gather the crap to repair? Do I only need to be 19 to insert materia all the way to 50? What is the best crafting bot on the market so I don't have to touch this shit myself? What crafting/gathering combo requires the least amount of cross-class bullshit so I don't have to level something I hate five times?

I can pinpoint exactly when I started to turn against WoW. It was the day they put in bullshit PVE buffs for having a max tradeskill. That or the day they changed them all and I had to spend something like 70% of my gold switching tradeskills to the new hotness because fucking hardmodes.

Column_sl

shitlord
Kreugen, the dungeons ramp up in difficulty as you get closer to 50. The ones at 50 will be difficult for any of the population that isnt as swift at these games.

They acutely are doing a poor job of preparing the masses for the higher level dungeons. They make it insanely easy at the start, and then add tons of mechanics to the fights around level 44.
By the time you reach 50 you have these fairly difficult dungeons and mini raids.

But its like anything, once people learn all the mechanics of the boss fights it becomes less diffcult. basiacally goes into farm status.
I haven't seen anything yet that would come close to a more hard core wow raiding, but the big raids arent in yet. You can only do hardcore primals, a few 8 mans, and a couple hard mode dungeons.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
So between repairs and materia crafting is shoved down our throats. I did not sign up to do faggy ass crafting. I HATE It. It's doing WORK to play a GAME. Why do people think this is such a great idea? Some people love it, great. Go craft. Don't get your crafting union buddies together and bitch until the game all but requires it.

Do I need a certain level crafter to repair all the way up to 50? Does any crafting class work? Do I have to gather the crap to repair? Do I only need to be 19 to insert materia all the way to 50? What is the best crafting bot on the market so I don't have to touch this shit myself? What crafting/gathering combo requires the least amount of cross-class bullshit so I don't have to level something I hate five times?

I can pinpoint exactly when I started to turn against WoW. It was the day they put in bullshit PVE buffs for having a max tradeskill. That or the day they changed them all and I had to spend something like 70% of my gold switching tradeskills to the new hotness because fucking hardmodes.
Crafting is the most retarded shit ever. I "craft" in my real-life, why would I want to do it in a goddamn game? "BUT! CRAFTING IS LIKE A GAME WITHIN A GAME!". No, crafting is for all the bored, fat, stay at home housewives who have no job. So, they need a job within the game, to feel like they are worth something.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Crafting has never seriously appealed to me either, except Engineering in WoW. Because it was the shit.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Well, I wasn't speaking so much of the difficulty of the dungeon, as the fact that they are all narrow winding poop tunnels with only 3 boss fights.

Crafting I was okay with:
The old republic. Don't have to do shit, make money!

WoW tailor/enchanter combo. Not only did it add convenience for myself, I also didn't have to do a fucking thing because all of the mats were "gathered" during normal play.

I'll google around for crafting guides and see if it washes the vomit taste out of my mouth. I have absolutely no idea about anything TS related in FF14, maybe it isn't so bad.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The dungeons open up some after Ifrit I found, Brayflox is a fairly open instance.

The dungeons basically go from too easy and too linear in the first three or so, to Ifrit which isn't hard at all but will surprise people playing casually or with little to no knowledge of the game when it pops up simply because it has an add you have to kill before it despawns or Ifrit wipes the group, to more complex and difficult and more open once you move past 25 or so in your storyline.

The end boss of Brayflox has a dragon that heals if you tank him in the green spit he shits out and the tank has to move him around, that's the furthest dungeon I've done but I thought that was an interesting mechanic for what is essentially a level 28 or so dungeon.

Column_sl

shitlord
Well, I wasn't speaking so much of the difficulty of the dungeon, as the fact that they are all narrow winding poop tunnels with only 3 boss fights.
Yeah that never stops , unfortunately. All the dungeons are trash mobs then 3 bosses.

That's one of the things WoW did well in the past was the multi tiered dungeon crawls. Everquest also had those massive dungeuns with branching off paths.
I miss those allot.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Blackrock Depths was the shit, especially once you had enough gear from MC and BWL to go in there solo as a rogue and you could solo farm bosses and shit, plus the Barman's shanker was a great starter stabber for a rogue just moving into end game back when the game was still fresh and MC wasn't on farm status.

The days of 6 hour dungeon crawls died with the 08 market collapse, unfortunately, there's less free time and people don't have it to spend hours in the same dungeon clearing all its winding paths anymore.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
Not sure if anyone cared, but the FFXIV event at Pax was basically a large area with a ton of computers set up. An hour of developer comments that I missed, and then people could sign stuff and there were 8 computers for people to try out character creation and like 40 for people to do the boss battle challenge which was fighting Titan. It looked like mostly people were getting their ass kicked playing Titan, but if you beat it then you got an exclusive T-shirt and some other swag.

Kinda cool. I got something signed by their sound director, but there wasn't much here that was relevant for those already playing the game other than maybe the developer comments which are at noon today/tomorrow.

Menion_sl

shitlord
Anyone know how many skill points total you get for your chocobo? Curious if you can fill 2 skill lines eventually. Also, has anyone found an accurate /command list? Trying to see what all is possible with macros.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
So I'm readingthis guideand I get to the part about "each class has 14 skills using during the crafting process" and I filmed my reaction:

tumblr_lq3gqwRN6M1qi66kho1_400.gif

Column_sl

shitlord
Titan is so easy.I two maned that boss because both DPS's got kicked from the server the first time we had to fight him.

Would have loved to be at Pax, and got some free swag =P

Jaybee

Silver Knight of the Realm
So I'm reading and I get to the part about "each class has 14 skills using during the crafting process" and I filmed my reaction:
Why are you crafting if you don't like it? The game doesn't force crafting down your throat.

I think you missed the point of my post Aladain. I completely understand all the ways you can go abit cheeper.
The amount of hoops you got to go through just to make that happen is grinding, and its not that much off the vendor.

so instead of 6k a day I might spend 5k a day. Still spending way too much money just to raid constantly.

Game shouldnt force you to tradeskill, and work the auction house just to play the level 50 game everyday IMHO.
Can't you just repeat the lvl 40 guildhest (corehound mechanic)? It takes 5 minutes and gives 5,500 gil.